6 ‘Bad’ Carbs That Are Actually Good For You

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
sb10067958fe-001-copy.jpg

Health.com / Leslie Barrie, May 15, 2014

Thanks to popular low-carb diets, these carb-heavy healthy foods have been unfairly blacklisted. But there’s no need to be scared of spuds or ban bananas. We’re setting the record straight-dig in guilt-free!

Every time we turn around we learn that what was once “bad for us” is now okay. Or that what we told were good are now bad. Not being a dietitian, I can guess the best rule for losing weight is EAT LESS AND EXERCISE MORE ]but be careful about exercising as other reports now indicate that too much exercise for people with heart diseases isn't good either]. Any,how, read the article @ 6 ?Bad? Carbs That Are Actually Good For You - TIME

Bananas and potatoes are basically crap. Peas and corn are great. Breakfast cereal??? WTF, any possible validity to this article went right out the window.

Eat less, exercise more is absolute bullshit. We eat too much starch and sugar in the modern diet, it's that simple.

But let's not forget it comes from Health.com, so it has to be unimpeachable evidence. Like the Food (wheat) Pyramid supplied by Big Brother, and bought and paid for by grain producers.

o i went to diabetic nutrition classes...i can eat anything i want in moderation..with portion control....sure i can....let me show you the numbers an hour after eating a biscuit....

Yeah, most of this list is nonsense. Bananas and white potatoes are good in context, but the rest is not. The idea that corn, let alone popcorn, is good for you is appalling. Much like breakfast cereal, even the least sugary version, and sourdough bread, corn is a grain and as such contains no real nutrients that you can't get elsewhere, and contains many anti-nutrients that make the scant amount of actual nutrients in the grains essentially pointless. In other words, corn and any other grains do far more harm than good. As for peas, I suppose they're alright in moderation, and so long as you understand that they essentially have very little nutrients going for them.

Just ridiculous to believe you can't eat carbs. Except for cereal and only homemade bread, I eat all those things and I'm slender and active and healthy and looking down the barrel at 70. I work hard at it but, IMO, the smartest diet is varied and in small portions.

The fact of the matter is that the nutrition gestapo just assumes that butter and fatty meat and lard converts to clogged arteries. I mean it just makes sense doesn't it? You don't need no stinking studies. I recall the old Woodie Allen movie where the character ran a health food store and dies and wakes up in the future to find that everything they assumed was bad for you has been determined to be good for you.

Bananas and potatoes are basically crap. Peas and corn are great. Breakfast cereal??? WTF, any possible validity to this article went right out the window.

Eat less, exercise more is absolute bullshit. We eat too much starch and sugar in the modern diet, it's that simple.

I agree that most people eat too much starch and sugar, but that does not mean we cannot eat any of those things ever. The problem is that people eat too many carbs. People need more protein and less carbs.

Just ridiculous to believe you can't eat carbs. Except for cereal and only homemade bread, I eat all those things and I'm slender and active and healthy and looking down the barrel at 70. I work hard at it but, IMO, the smartest diet is varied and in small portions.

Everyone is different, but the fact is that people generally eat too much of everything, and they don't exercise enough. That being said, there is a big problem because we get caught up in numbers too often. I have been somewhat tracking my caloric intake over the past couple of years, and I average 3000 to 4000 calories per day. For some people, this would mean putting on a great deal of weight. For me, it keeps me just under 140 lbs with 16 to 17 percent body fat. The reason I can eat so much and need to eat that much is because I am very active. I work out six days per week, and run at least 25 miles per week. If I just stayed at home and watched television all the time, I would likely weigh over 200 lbs.

Everyone is different, but the fact is that people generally eat too much of everything, and they don't exercise enough. That being said, there is a big problem because we get caught up in numbers too often. I have been somewhat tracking my caloric intake over the past couple of years, and I average 3000 to 4000 calories per day. For some people, this would mean putting on a great deal of weight. For me, it keeps me just under 140 lbs with 16 to 17 percent body fat. The reason I can eat so much and need to eat that much is because I am very active. I work out six days per week, and run at least 25 miles per week. If I just stayed at home and watched television all the time, I would likely weigh over 200 lbs.

you do realize you are the most hated person in this thread right now?

you do realize you are the most hated person in this thread right now?

Moi?? LOL! Life is good.

The fact of the matter is that the nutrition gestapo just assumes that butter and fatty meat and lard converts to clogged arteries. I mean it just makes sense doesn't it? You don't need no stinking studies. I recall the old Woodie Allen movie where the character ran a health food store and dies and wakes up in the future to find that everything they assumed was bad for you has been determined to be good for you.

The worst scam ever perpetrated on the public is the food pyramid..and the gluten allergy fad.

I used to shun carbs, I thought they made me tired but it was really me sitting on my ass that made me tired. I eat carbs in moderation and go for the veggie type carbs rather than fruit or sweets.

I eat pasta and dark breads, potatoes if they're offered to me, I don't make potatoes or much rice.

I don't eat corn or bananas, I love all kinds of beans. Less meat now, more salads and veggies, the way I eat has changed so much in the past 10 years or so. I really do feel better too.

Carbs are as bad as they say, in my opinion. I've got years and years of solid anecdotal research, and am proud of my Adonis like structure.

^ This.

No foods are off limits, moderation is key, eat well 80% of the time, move your body.

/thread

Last edited:
But let's not forget it comes from Health.com, so it has to be unimpeachable evidence. Like the Food (wheat) Pyramid supplied by Big Brother, and bought and paid for by grain producers.

But I'll bet you believe those posters about how good dairy and beef is even though their put out by the American Dairy Assoc and the Beef Producer's.

Those are cartels of producers who only want you to buy their product.

Forum List

Back