53 Republicans are now on a hit list

"Education is the means by which society passes its values on to the next generation."
Based on that alone, schools ought to teach moral values. The whole "schools should be value free" has resulted in kids being value free. And who wants more of that??

While agreeing with this somewhat I do believe some moral values have no place in school.

"Education is the means by which society passes its values on to the next generation."
Based on that alone, schools ought to teach moral values. The whole "schools should be value free" has resulted in kids being value free. And who wants more of that??

While agreeing with this somewhat I do believe some moral values have no place in school.
Then what are schools supposed to teach? How do you teach history and say "well the Nazis seemed to us to be bad but really that's just a value judgment." Or "yes the US suffered an attack on 9/11 but a lot of people in the world think we had it coming"
How do you teach English? How do you say "Oedipus didnt really need to tear his eyes out because murdering your father and marrying your mother is acceptable in Yoruba culture"?
Making schools value-free zones is probably a bigger problem than deciding what values to teach.

Then what are schools supposed to teach? How do you teach history and say "well the Nazis seemed to us to be bad but really that's just a value judgment." Or "yes the US suffered an attack on 9/11 but a lot of people in the world think we had it coming"
How do you teach English? How do you say "Oedipus didnt really need to tear his eyes out because murdering your father and marrying your mother is acceptable in Yoruba culture"?
Making schools value-free zones is probably a bigger problem than deciding what values to teach.

You didn't "read" my response. The operative word was "some". I'm talking about moral values regarding other issues such as certain social issues like sexual preferences and gender type issues. These sorts of things need to be taught by parents not by a biased school program. Many people have religous beliefs that condemn certain sexual behaviors.

You didn't "read" my response. The operative word was "some". I'm talking about moral values regarding other issues such as certain social issues like sexual preferences and gender type issues. These sorts of things need to be taught by parents not by a biased school program. Many people have religous beliefs that condemn certain sexual behaviors.

You're right: I missed the some part. Yeah, I can go along with that.
We have a "civic morality" in this country that basically demands a minimal commitment to certain ideals but leaves others to the provenance of parents, churches etc.

Are you SERIOUS? Schools are supposed to teach facts. Opinions, such as whether one feels the Nazis were bad or not, have no place in schools. This is why in our public schools, religion is off limits. There is no fact in religion. Get it?

Are you SERIOUS? Schools are supposed to teach facts. Opinions, such as whether one feels the Nazis were bad or not, have no place in schools. This is why in our public schools, religion is off limits. There is no fact in religion. Get it?

You're kidding me, right? So schools ought to teach that the US is a warmongering nation according to the Muslims. That Russia singlehandedly won WW2. That apartheid was really just another social system.
It is absurd. I'd suggest spending some time in school before you post something so preposterous again.

You're kidding me, right? So schools ought to teach that the US is a warmongering nation according to the Muslims. This is an opinion and has alredy been addressed.
That Russia singlehandedly won WW2. This is an absurd opinion, but opinions have already been addressed.
That apartheid was really just another social system. You TRULY have no idea what facts are, do you? I knew better than to address your post...:cuckoo:

Oh c'mon.
I'm atheist, but I can still find some facts in most religious texts.
Lighten up.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k]YouTube - Lighten Up Francis[/ame]

Exactly. With the advent of the single parent home, mom and dad working and day care left up to others I can see why so many just don't take responsibility for their kids...they can just put the onus on someone else and when their kids turn out fucked up they are, in their own mind, not to blame.

Sad.

Oh c'mon.
Lighten up.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k]YouTube - Lighten Up Francis[/ame]

Really now? ANd just how might you support said facts in religious text?

By the way, "Sgt. Hulka, does this mean we're done for the day?"

You're kidding me, right? So schools ought to teach that the US is a warmongering nation according to the Muslims. This is an opinion and has alredy been addressed.
That Russia singlehandedly won WW2. This is an absurd opinion, but opinions have already been addressed.
That apartheid was really just another social system. You TRULY have no idea what facts are, do you? I knew better than to address your post...:cuckoo:

Can't deal with the arguments, I guess. If you think there is such a thing as a fact, you are sadly mistaken. There are no facts.
And if you think education means inculcating a bunch of facts, I'm glad you have nothing to do with education.

I can see it now 53 Republics are now on the hit list of the radical Leftwingnuts.
October 15, 2009

President Barack Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20500

Dear Mr. President,

We respectfully request that you remove Kevin Jennings, the Assistant Deputy Secretary for the Office of Safe and Drug Free Schools, from your Administration. It is clear that Mr. Jennings lacks the appropriate qualifications and ethical standards to serve in this capacity.

As the founder of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), Mr. Jennings has played an integral role in promoting homosexuality and pushing a pro-homosexual agenda in America’s schools—an agenda that runs counter to the values that many parents desire to instill in their children. As evidence of this, Mr. Jennings wrote the foreword for a book titled Queering Elementary Education: Advancing the Dialogue About Sexualities and Schooling. Throughout his career, Mr. Jennings has made it his mission to establish special protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered students to the exclusion of all other students. The totality of Mr. Jennings’ career has been to advocate for public affirmation of homosexuality. There is more to safe and drug free schools than can be accomplished from the narrow view of Mr. Jennings who has, for more than 20 years, almost exclusively focused on promoting the homosexual agenda.

Equally troubling is Mr. Jennings’ self-described history of ignoring the sexual abuse of a child. In his book, One Teacher in Ten, Mr. Jennings recounts a 15-year old student confiding in him that he had a sexual relationship with a much older man. Mr. Jennings’ only response was to ask if the underage boy used a condom. As a mandatory reporter, Mr. Jennings was required by law to report child abuse, including sex crimes. Mr. Jennings cannot serve as the “safe schools” czar when his record demonstrates a willingness to overlook the sexual abuse of a child.

As the “safe schools” czar, Mr. Jennings is also charged with ensuring our schools and students are drug free. It is clear that Mr. Jennings is unfit to serve in this capacity, as well. His own history of unrepentant drug and alcohol abuse indicates that he is of the opinion that getting drunk and high as a young person is acceptable. In his memoir, Mama’s Boy, Preacher’s Son, Mr. Jennings describes his use of illegal drugs, without expressing regret or acknowledging the devastating effects illegal drug use can have on a person’s life.

Everyone that deals with the education of the most vulnerable must be a positive role model. Our children are not blessed with the wisdom to discern and reject. Children presume the adults who educate them are approved by the larger society and their parents. Kevin Jennings cannot gain the approval of parents who want their children safe and their schools drug free. You should replace him with someone who has a record of educating children in a safe and moral environment.

Given these very serious issues with Mr. Jennings’ record, we urge you to remove him immediately.

Sincerely,

KING
Alexander
Aderholt
Akin
Austria
Bachmann
Bachus
Bartlett
Barton
Boozman
Broun
Brown, H.
Carter
Chaffetz
Coffman
Cole
Conaway
Davis, Geoff
Fallin
Fleming
Foxx
Franks
Garrett
Gingrey
Gohmert
Hunter
Issa
Jordan
Lamborn
Latta
LuetkemeyerMarchant
McClintock
McHenry
McKeon
McMorris
Mica
Miller, J.
Myrick
Neugebauer
Olson, P.
Pence
Pitts
Posey
Rogers (AL)
Rooney
Ryan, Paul
Shuster
Smith, C
Smith, L.
Wamp
Westmoreland
Jones, Walter

Glad to see that my Republican Congresswoman didn't put her name on this foolishness. I think doing the opposite of whatever it is Michelle Bachman does is just good policy.

Good to see our Republican Congressman didn't sign it either.

Can't deal with the arguments, I guess. If you think there is such a thing as a fact, you are sadly mistaken. There are no facts.
And if you think education means inculcating a bunch of facts, I'm glad you have nothing to do with education.

Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. Fact.
Roosevelt allowed Japan to bomb Peral Harbor as a way to draw the United States into WWII. Opinion.

See the difference, Sparky?

Roosevelt allowed Japan to bomb Peral Harbor as a way to draw the United States into WWII. Opinion.

No.
Japan responded to US aggression in refusing to sell raw materials. Pearl Harbor was the result. Fact.
There are no facts, only opinions.

No.
Japan responded to US aggression in refusing to sell raw materials. Pearl Harbor was the result. Fact.

Obviously, in your little mind, there are only opinions. WHY Japan attacked Pearl Harbor is based in opinion, but is also completely irrelevent to the FACT that they did.

Oh c'mon.
Lighten up.

With science.
Seriously, are so dense that you think there are zero facts in all religious texts?

Oh c'mon.
Lighten up.
YouTube - Lighten Up Francis

With science.
Seriously, are so dense that you think there are zero facts in all religious texts?

Religions are all based on a "belief" in a higher power, yes? Beliefs and facts do not always travel hand in hand.

Exactly. With the advent of the single parent home, mom and dad working and day care left up to others I can see why so many just don't take responsibility for their kids...they can just put the onus on someone else and when their kids turn out fucked up they are, in their own mind, not to blame.

Sad.

Strangely enough... that's exactly my point.

No.

Obviously, in your little mind, there are only opinions. WHY Japan attacked Pearl Harbor is based in opinion, but is also completely irrelevent to the FACT that they did.

In your little uneducated mind there are such things as facts to begin with.
It's a good thing you have nothing to do with education, including having attended a school.

Forum List

Back