500,000 Troops Needed for Afghanistan (MSNBC)

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWX794aJ_y8&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - 500,000 Troops Needed for Afghanistan?[/ame]

As Dive asked if I would, I have created this thread about Andrea Mitchell's report on MSNBC that we would need 500,000 troops in Afghanistan over the next five years.

500,000 troops on the ground.

Mitchell is right in saying we can't expect the Afghani Army in stepping up to that. And can we expect the U.S. and Nato forces to give even half that?

Rewatching the video Dive, nowhere does she say 500,000 American Troops, just like I said 500,000 in general in the other thread.

Do you still believe it to be a mistake?

It's beyond misleading as it scares the intellectual lazy into believing that 500K American or even NATO troops are needed. As you believed.

It's beyond misleading as it scares the intellectual lazy into believing that 500K American or even NATO troops are needed. As you believed.

Except I never believed that and I want you to point to a post that says so. Either step up or shut up.

Except I never believed that and I want you to point to a post that says so. Either step up or shut up.
Still weaseling? How very pathetic you are.
Ummm--wasn't this the guy that stated a thousand times over that "we took our eyes off of the ball"--& that Afganistan is where we need to be.

It looks to me that we have passed the ball to Obama & now he wants to fumble it. His general McCrystal is asking for 40K more troops to win this war--& to keep the troops there in a "safer" position.

GUARANTEED--if he backs off & does not follow the advise of his hand picked general it will only embolden Al Queda & the Taliban. Only this time when we cut & run they will follow us right back to our shores.

We are all tired of war. But this is an enemy we cannot let win.

McCrystal wants 40k troops to start with, in reality he wants 500k overall within five years. That's unrealistic and one of the many reasons why we need to leave the desert wasteland.

You cannot defeat a culture. You cannot be that ignorant to believe that.

There is a reason why Afghanistan is a "graveyard of Empires" with graves for the Soviet Union and British Empire. We keep it up, they're going to need to dig a fresh one for us.

Last edited:
And for anyone who wants to know what McChrystal recommended, read his report that has been out for over a month: COMISAF Initial Assessment (Unclassified) -- Searchable Document

Also note that McChrystal states that time is critical, several times he says that.

BHO still has done nothing at all since before Labor Day and October is the deadliest month on record for US troops since the war started.

Last edited:

Still weaseling? How very pathetic you are.
Ummm--wasn't this the guy that stated a thousand times over that "we took our eyes off of the ball"--& that Afganistan is where we need to be.

It looks to me that we have passed the ball to Obama & now he wants to fumble it. His general McCrystal is asking for 40K more troops to win this war--& to keep the troops there in a "safer" position.

GUARANTEED--if he backs off & does not follow the advise of his hand picked general it will only embolden Al Queda & the Taliban. Only this time when we cut & run they will follow us right back to our shores.

We are all tired of war. But this is an enemy we cannot let win.

McCrystal wants 40k troops to start with, in reality he wants 500k overall within five years. That's unrealistic and one of the many reasons why we need to leave the desert wasteland.

You cannot defeat a culture. You cannot be that ignorant to believe that.

There is a reason why Afghanistan is a "graveyard of Empires" with graves for the Soviet Union and British Empire. We keep it up, they're going to need to dig a fresh one for us.

si modo, step up or shut up. If you have the info, post it. If not, admit that you don't have it.

just a thought... but I bet if there were no troops there the casualties would drop to nothing...and the sun would still rise timmorow

And the Taliban would take over the Country and we would either have to go back in or watch Pakistan fall. Great plan indeed.

Dogbert, you said this....

cCrystal wants 40k troops to start with, in reality he wants 500k overall within five years. That's unrealistic and one of the many reasons why we need to leave the desert wasteland.

pretty plain English to me. If you did not mean 500k American troops then you sure as hell implied it by this sentence.

Dogbert, you said this....

cCrystal wants 40k troops to start with, in reality he wants 500k overall within five years. That's unrealistic and one of the many reasons why we need to leave the desert wasteland.

pretty plain English to me. If you did not mean 500k American troops then you sure as hell implied it by this sentence.

His statement is ambiguous. The word "overall" means he is referring to total troop levels of Afghan and foreign forces combined, but he certainly could have stood to make that clearer, as I can absolutely see how it could be read as saying 500,000 US troops.

Forum List

Back