50 KW Reactor Fed Only CO2 And Water, And Produces Jet Fuel

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
If I had a nickel for every time someone claimed “artificial photosynthesis” or “solar fuel production” in the lab and wrote a paper or grant proposal about it, I’d have … well, a couple cases of Ukrainian vodka, OK?

So I was really impressed to see that a collaboration among the ETH Zurich and a few other Eurpoean organizations actually built a plant that, in real sunlight, out in the field, converts carbon dioxide and water into aviation fuel. This is the first time anyone has ever actually done this for real. Check it out in the July 20 edition of the Cell Press journal Joule(open access article!).

Here is the general scheme:

ceria02_plantdiagram.jpg
Schematic of the solar tower fuel plant. A field of mirrors concentrates the sunlight into the aperture of a solar reactor mounted on top of the tower. The reactor co-splits H2O and CO2 and produces a specific mixture of H2 and CO (syngas), which in turn is processed to liquid hydrocarbon fuels using the Fischer-Tropsch-based gas-to-liquid unit.

How much does a gallon cost

So the end result is still jet fuel

How much energy used to make a gallon versus with oil

It takes more energy to form our long chain hydrocarbon than is released by burning said long chain hydrocarbon ... basic thermodynamics ...

With energy input, then this is old news, like 19th Century old news ... if you're making electricity with solar panels, why not just put it to the Grid and let We the People decide ... either EV or pantograph ... blind stupid making the electricity for this process by burning natural gas ...

Here's an explanation of what some liberal arts college does in their basement ...

Forum List

Back