No cost solar water heater.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Just to be a smartass I painted some gallon plastic jugs black and set them in the sun. I use the hot water to do my dishes in the afternoon. The only cost was some leftover black spray paint.

At 82 degrees temperature out and full sun my water is at 115 degrees. I could get it much hotter if I enclosed the jugs in a box covered with plastic but 115 is hot enough. I may do that just for kicks. I have access to free boxes and leftover plastic.

I have one more jug drying. I use 3 for washing and 2 for rinsing the dishes.

Water jugs.JPG

Water jugs-2.JPG

Just to be a smartass I painted some gallon plastic jugs black and set them in the sun. I use the hot water to do my dishes in the afternoon. The only cost was some leftover black spray paint.

At 82 degrees temperature out and full sun my water is at 115 degrees. I could get it much hotter if I enclosed the jugs in a box covered with plastic but 115 is hot enough. I may do that just for kicks. I have access to free boxes and leftover plastic.

View attachment 674234

View attachment 674235
You might send this picture along with the schematics of how it works to the White House, so finally the Biden Admin could actually get something right...Nah, they are too stupid to know better and probably put it in a landfill.

Binet-Simon_scale.jpg

Pop can heater looks interesting, but putting one on the south side of my house would mean my neighbors would have to look at it, and some of them can get snitty.

I'm actually thinking about making a "garden hose" solar water heater out of 2 inch PVC pipe. I would connect it directly to my water heater for use during warm weather.

1658704494459.png

You might want to rethink the PVC and go with copper or galvanized steel.

My brother made a solar heater using PVC painted black with glass over it all to heat the air inside during the winter then put a fan in it to keep the air flowing so it would heat his house. >>>The PVC melted.<<<

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

View attachment 674234

View attachment 674235
Very progressive..."NO DINOSAURS WILL DIE TODAY!"

I have solar panels to provide heat for my swimming pool. My pool is enclosed and is partially shaded so it does not get much direct sunlight. The water will be cool, even in the summer without additional heat. The panels collects enough solar heat to keep the water comfortable. They also extend the season for using the pool a month or so on each side of the summer.

I have solar panels to provide heat for my swimming pool. My pool is enclosed and is partially shaded so it does not get much direct sunlight. The water will be cool, even in the summer without additional heat. The panels collects enough solar heat to keep the water comfortable. They also extend the season for using the pool a month or so on each side of the summer.
My (ex) in-laws supplemented their pool heater with a very long 1-1/2" black plastic hose coiled loosely on a west facing roof. A small pump circulated the pool water through the hose. Looked like hell but worked great. As it caught the hot afternoon sun the pool stayed warm well into the evening, which was their favorite time to swim.

Many small steps can lead to a long journey.
Having one solution for everything usually leads to vulnerability.

View attachment 674234

View attachment 674235
We just went through a couple of weeks of 90-95° days in southeast South Dakota. This is an idea I have to try!

Also, I've been washing my clothes in cold water for years. Clothes get clean, I save a few bucks on heating water. I do tend to take long hot showers, however.

Forum List

Back