50 Books to Read Before You Die

I've read 29 of them.

And there are a lot of great books not included.

The first one that comes to mind is "Middlemarch" by George Eliot

FaD70gIZnqpK03hJTrV0QK1c4iuLu6cwXaK7NRJf4Mg6fP1O3_Dh3iQ_BNFJsZrDjqPi4o2MbqGUepE20bXXzdc4ACKaQ7z_TuHx3bFL2tDwI5Bmsj0oO9-36w=w663-h498-p-k

A very interesting list. I’ve read 16 of the first 20 and a whole lot of the rest. How about you all?

Full list @ 50 Books To Read Before You Die | CashKaro

I read 100 years of solitude for school, and I didn't bother reading it much, just wrote what I had to write. So I went back to it last year, half way through I was like "stuff this" and stopped reading it. It's not that good.

The Count of Monte Cristo I felt was a very rubbish book too. The plot line isn't great, nothing about it is great.

Robin Hobb's books are so much better, and she doesn't get anywhere near. In her Farseer Trilogy she manages to subtly get the boy and wolf to resemble each other more and more over the course of the books and on into another trilogy, fantastic writing.
No one should tell anyonewhat they should read or need to read. Not adults anyway. In school, the teacher needs to assign a limited number of books and read them as a group because she/he just can't teach every student individually. But for your independent reading, choose your own books and read what pleases you.

Well, these lists are done for other reasons that telling others what to think or what to read. I look at such stuff to see what books I might like to read. I go onto one forum where people talk about books. Some of the books people say are excellent are horrible, others I've really enjoyed. Without this discussion I'd be lost.

FaD70gIZnqpK03hJTrV0QK1c4iuLu6cwXaK7NRJf4Mg6fP1O3_Dh3iQ_BNFJsZrDjqPi4o2MbqGUepE20bXXzdc4ACKaQ7z_TuHx3bFL2tDwI5Bmsj0oO9-36w=w663-h498-p-k

A very interesting list. I’ve read 16 of the first 20 and a whole lot of the rest. How about you all?

I read 100 years of solitude for school, and I didn't bother reading it much, just wrote what I had to write. So I went back to it last year, half way through I was like "stuff this" and stopped reading it. It's not that good.

The Count of Monte Cristo I felt was a very rubbish book too. The plot line isn't great, nothing about it is great.

Robin Hobb's books are so much better, and she doesn't get anywhere near. In her Farseer Trilogy she manages to subtly get the boy and wolf to resemble each other more and more over the course of the books and on into another trilogy, fantastic writing.
No one should tell anyonewhat they should read or need to read. Not adults anyway. In school, the teacher needs to assign a limited number of books and read them as a group because she/he just can't teach every student individually. But for your independent reading, choose your own books and read what pleases you.

Well, these lists are done for other reasons that telling others what to think or what to read. I look at such stuff to see what books I might like to read. I go onto one forum where people talk about books. Some of the books people say are excellent are horrible, others I've really enjoyed. Without this discussion I'd be lost.

I've been told all my life that Shakespeare's works are brilliant, but I will never know, because I can't get past the archaic language.

I've been told all my life that Shakespeare's works are brilliant, but I will never know, because I can't get past the archaic language.

I agree. Different people have different ideas of what is good or bad.

The problem is how his plays are taught in school. There is a way to get into the language and even appreciate it, but it isn't taught well.

Then the title shouldn't be "50 Books to Read Before You Die." It's saying you need to, you should read these books. It should say something like these are classics of English literature, check them out...written as a suggestion, not a directive.

Here's a few that needed to be added to the list:

1. Watership Down
  2. The Hobbit
  3. Lord Of The Rings
  4. Harry Potter Books
  5. The American Standard Bible
  6. Steven King's 'IT'
  7. The Twilight Series
  8. Invisible Man
  9. The Call Of The Wild
  10. Moby Dick
  11. The Red Badge Of Courage
  12. Dr Zhivago
  13. Les Miserables
  14. The War Of The Worlds
  15. Scrooge
  16. Shogun
  17. Dracula
  18. Dune
  19. The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes
  20. Interview With The Vampire
  21. Jaws
  22. The Exorcist

I detest that trigger up Twilight series, but that's a pretty good list overall.

1. Watership Down
  2. The Hobbit
  3. Lord Of The Rings
  4. Harry Potter Books
  6. Steven King's 'IT'
  7. The Twilight Series
  8. Invisible Man
  9. The Call Of The Wild
  10. Moby Dick
  12. Dr Zhivago
  13. Les Miserables
  15. Scrooge
  16. Shogun
  17. Dracula
  18. Dune
  21. Jaws
  22. The Exorcist

I detest that trigger up Twilight series, but that's a pretty good list overall.
The books are much better than the movies.

1. Watership Down
  2. The Hobbit
  3. Lord Of The Rings
  4. Harry Potter Books
  6. Steven King's 'IT'
  7. The Twilight Series
  8. Invisible Man
  9. The Call Of The Wild
  10. Moby Dick
  12. Dr Zhivago
  13. Les Miserables
  15. Scrooge
  16. Shogun
  17. Dracula
  18. Dune
  21. Jaws
  22. The Exorcist

A girlfriend of mine loved them. She weaseled, cajoled and begged me to read them too. Some folks are that way. So I read the first one, hated it and refused to touch anymore. I can't even say why I dislike them so, but I do. Part of it...it seemed like it was torn from the pages of a diary. The diary of a angst ridden, !ovestruck teenage girl.

I think the reviewer would say this is an eclectic list. A separate peace was the most boring and monotonous homework assignment ever. Good discussion. If we are going to do children’s books could we get a little science fiction love. Asimov or Bradbury maybe.

I might be inclined to read more of these if the blonde would read them with me.

1. Watership Down
  2. The Hobbit
  3. Lord Of The Rings
  4. Harry Potter Books
  6. Steven King's 'IT'
  7. The Twilight Series
  8. Invisible Man
  9. The Call Of The Wild
  10. Moby Dick
  12. Dr Zhivago
  13. Les Miserables
  15. Scrooge
  16. Shogun
  17. Dracula
  18. Dune
  21. Jaws
  22. The Exorcist

A girlfriend of mine loved them. She weaseled, cajoled and begged me to read them too. Some folks are that way. So I read the first one, hated it and refused to touch anymore. I can't even say why I dislike them so, but I do. Part of it...it seemed like it was torn from the pages of a diary. The diary of a angst ridden, !ovestruck teenage girl.
Well, she did seem to fawn over him a bit.
But after all.....he's a vampire....and vampires are cool.
Other than the blood sucking and can't be out during daylight they seemed like a superhero.
In Twilight that part was mostly eliminated.
New Moon was the worst of all of the films....I almost swore off of the entire series after I saw that.

Forum List

Back