50 Books to Read Before You Die

FaD70gIZnqpK03hJTrV0QK1c4iuLu6cwXaK7NRJf4Mg6fP1O3_Dh3iQ_BNFJsZrDjqPi4o2MbqGUepE20bXXzdc4ACKaQ7z_TuHx3bFL2tDwI5Bmsj0oO9-36w=w663-h498-p-k

A very interesting list. I’ve read 16 of the first 20 and a whole lot of the rest. How about you all?

Full list @ 50 Books To Read Before You Die | CashKaro
I've read all of them.

I find it interesting that there isn't any non-fiction books on the list.

Zero. As far as fiction goes I never felt urge to invest the time and I too settle for the movie. If I was inclined to read, then based on their movies I'd start with William Faulkner's Intruder in the Dust which I enjoyed a great deal more than To Kill a Mockingbird . However I see reviews such as that below which stops me in my tracks and my reading list sticks with either The Bible (notice none of its books made the list) or some recent non-fiction.

Intruder in the Dust
I'm just going to go ahead and say that this is an excellent book (one of Faulkner's finest), but it requires a different kind of reading than most readers (even of Faulkner) are accustomed to deploying. Let me also add that, in order to get the novel's whole meaning, the reader may very well end-up taking a year: no joke. Nevertheless, the reward is beyond worthwhile--trust me. Like I said, one of Faulkner's finest.

Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Intruder in the Dust (Modern Library 351.1)

I'll take this instead, plus the full movie is available on YouTube.

Last edited:
I read quite a few of those. Most of the time the books that had all the hype about them sucked, Catcher in the Rye for instance.

Here's a few that needed to be added to the list:

1. Watership Down
  2. The Hobbit
  3. Lord Of The Rings
  4. Harry Potter Books
  5. The American Standard Bible
  6. Steven King's 'IT'
  7. The Twilight Series
  8. Invisible Man
  9. The Call Of The Wild
  10. Moby Dick
  11. The Red Badge Of Courage
  12. Dr Zhivago
  13. Les Miserables
  14. The War Of The Worlds
  15. Scrooge
  16. Shogun
  17. Dracula
  18. Dune
  19. The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes
  20. Interview With The Vampire
  21. Jaws
  22. The Exorcist

33. There are a lot that are missing. There sure are a lot of romances in there.

Yanno, the site advertises itself as India's No.1 Cash and Coupon site. Without looking back there is only one Indian author. That's interesting.

FaD70gIZnqpK03hJTrV0QK1c4iuLu6cwXaK7NRJf4Mg6fP1O3_Dh3iQ_BNFJsZrDjqPi4o2MbqGUepE20bXXzdc4ACKaQ7z_TuHx3bFL2tDwI5Bmsj0oO9-36w=w663-h498-p-k

A very interesting list. I’ve read 16 of the first 20 and a whole lot of the rest. How about you all?

Full list @ 50 Books To Read Before You Die | CashKaro

I read 100 years of solitude for school, and I didn't bother reading it much, just wrote what I had to write. So I went back to it last year, half way through I was like "stuff this" and stopped reading it. It's not that good.

The Count of Monte Cristo I felt was a very rubbish book too. The plot line isn't great, nothing about it is great.

Robin Hobb's books are so much better, and she doesn't get anywhere near. In her Farseer Trilogy she manages to subtly get the boy and wolf to resemble each other more and more over the course of the books and on into another trilogy, fantastic writing.
No one should tell anyonewhat they should read or need to read. Not adults anyway. In school, the teacher needs to assign a limited number of books and read them as a group because she/he just can't teach every student individually. But for your independent reading, choose your own books and read what pleases you.

Forum List

Back