5 Stages of Retirement

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Pretty interesting, not sure if this mirrors the 5 stages of grief, but I think it pretty accurate, at least for me.

The Journey through the 5 Stages Of Retirement

Just like any other major life change, the journey through retirement follows a similar emotional pattern. Just like the first time you attend school or your first job in the working world it takes some time to adjust to your new life. Well, it’s the same with retirement, retirees need to begin to familiarise themselves with their new life. It can be broken down into 5 different stages, from pre-planning for retirement to being content and happy with the life you are living.

Stage 1: Pre-retirement
Pre-retirement is the stage before you retire, this usually is around 5 to 10 years before you retire. Around this time many people begin to shift their focus from levelling up in their careers to focusing on the financial planning aspect for retirement.

Planning financially is an important part of retirement planning, but don’t forget to plan emotionally for retirement. This is the time to start considering what you want from retirement and what you believe will make you feel happy and fulfilled. You may want to start thinking about where you want to live, if you want to downsize and if you want to travel.

This stage is full of excitement and anticipation for the next chapter in your life, but it can also be filled with worry and doubt – so spending some time planning financially and emotionally can make the transition into retirement a lot easier.

Stage 2: The honeymoon phase
The day has finally arrived, freedom! During this stage you may have feelings of excitement, liberation and relief from the stresses brought to you by the working world – these feelings often last for 1 to 2 years but can last for much longer depending on how you choose to spend your time.

Often your time is filled with reconnecting with friends, family, partners, indulging in hobbies and interests and going on holidays and just enjoying more freedom to do whatever you please.

Stage 3: Disenchantment
After the emotional high begins to wear off and the honeymoon phase is over, many people begin to feel disappointed and let down with their current life. Retirement is something that many of us look forward to and spend a lot of time hyping up, so once you’ve settled into retirement it can begin to feel like it’s not as exciting as you once thought. Many people may be left feeling lonely, bored and feel like they've lost their sense of purpose.
Read our blog on how to fill your time and make retirement enjoyable.

Stage 4: Re-orientation and finding yourself
Just like any other stage of life, you eventually begin to adapt to your new circumstances and navigate your new life. This is the hardest part of retirement, as the process of re-finding your purpose and establishing who you are takes time and lots of conscious effort. Even though it can be tricky, this is one of the most rewarding and enjoyable stages.

This is the time to try new things, find new hobbies and re-find your purpose in life. Without a full-time job and no children to care for it can be hard to find a purpose. But it is crucial to find something that reignites your spark, this could be pursuing a passion, volunteering, looking after your grandchildren or just adding fun, interesting activities to your daily routine.

Stage 5: Stability
The final stage of retirement brings feelings of being content and feeling positive and happy in retirement and your new life. You may find yourself settled into your new routine and lifestyle, doing things you love and that make you feel fulfilled and be enjoying your life with your new sense of purpose and identity.

I'm at 12 years now and I sure as hell dont want to go back.
But I do miss some aspects of working,the comadre,the sense of purpose and being able to make part on a lathe or mill for personal use.
I used to go crazy if I didnt have something planned like a vacation in the near future but that seems to have gone away.
I'm content sitting on the back porch jacking around on the internet and maybe soaking in the pool on those really hot days.

I'm at 12 years now and I sure as hell dont want to go back.
But I do miss some aspects of working,the comadre,the sense of purpose and being able to make part on a lathe or mill for personal use.
I used to go crazy if I didnt have something planned like a vacation in the near future but that seems to have gone away.
I'm content sitting on the back porch jacking around on the internet and maybe soaking in the pool on those really hot days.
I liked my job, but don't really miss it. I miss the interaction with my co-workers and occasionally a few of us meet for lunch which is always fun.

I've been retired for 11 years now, looked forward to it, loved it from day one and never looked back. Apparently, I missed the five stages of retirement seminar.
I skipped all five too...I didn't retire.

I didn't the honeymoon connection to the Seinfeld episode, but it was funny anyway.
That was the Mom and Pop episode, which I wanted to use part of but couldn't find it, it's when Kramer makes the store owner have to upgrade his electrical because he called them in, and the owner says "48 years, Ma! 48 years!"

When one looks back at all the years given away and wasted by working, one wonders why we waste a at our most productive years on a lousy job? There's got to be more to life than the god awful american rat race. We should have our retirement years when we're in our 20s and 30s and work once we hit 65.

When one looks back at all the years given away and wasted by working, one wonders why we waste a at our most productive years on a lousy job? There's got to be more to life than the god awful american rat race. We should have our retirement years when we're in our 20s and 30s and work once we hit 65.
Men are built, physically and mentally, to work. It's what we do.

I've pondered this many times, was it all worth it? I see younguns out exploring the world in their 20's instead of starting their working lives, and wonder, will they be my age and broke, while I never have to work again? Who got the better deal?

I will be 69 in a few weeks, and my 5 stages of retirement have been this:

1 -- Deny I'm getting older
2 -- realize that maybe I am
3 - asking what I want to do with my time
4 -- answering that it is exactly what I am doing now
5 -- keep on working as that makes me happy.

My American friends believe their job is an extension of themselves. It’s the first thing they think about in the morning — and the last thing on their mind before going to sleep.

It’s a shame. But my life as a European in Vienna is completely different. I often spend time with my girlfriend, go on long walks, and explore new places during my spare time.

Work is important… but it’s not a part of my identity. Instead, my job is a means to an end — something that allows me to enjoy a happy lifestyle — and afford the basic necessities of life.

Let me explain more…

Most shops are closed on Sundays here in Vienna because the country is highly religious — with 68% of the population identifying as Christian. Therefore, Sundays are traditionally viewed as a “rest day” to relax, go to Church, and spend time with family.

You might not be Christian, and that’s okay. I’m not here to judge your religious beliefs. However, I will say Austrian citizens are definitely happier than Americans — because they prioritize work-life balance — and don’t work until the early hours of the morning.

The data proves it. Citizens of Denmark, Austria, Switzerland, and many other European countries are happier than Americans, per CNN. Perhaps that’s why the Finnish government is offering a free “masterclass of happiness” to help travelers discover their “inner Finn.” After all, the country is famous for prioritizing nature, lifestyle, and healthy eating.

Jeff Sachs, co-creator of the World Happiness Report and a professor at Columbia University, explained why many countries in Europe are happier than America. “They’re not societies that are aiming for all of the effort and time to becoming gazillionaires,” he said. “They’re looking for a good balance of life and the results are extremely positive.”

One of my favorite things to do is go on long walks in local parks. I’m always spoiled for choice — as there are approximately 100 beautiful parks and gardens to choose from — and they make up 50% of Vienna’s metropolitan area.

There’s nothing more relaxing than sitting on a bench and watching the world go by. Sometimes, I see birds, bees, and ducks going about their daily business. And unsurprisingly, the animals of the natural world don’t care about being productive or “hustling like there’s no tomorrow.”

The only thing that matters in Vienna is the present moment (and schnitzel). Because as Ryan Holiday writes in his bestselling book, Stillness Is The Key:

“The less energy we waste regretting the past or worrying about the future, the more energy we will have for what’s in front of us.”

Forum List

Back