5 Founding Fathers' Skepticism About Christianity Would Make Them Unelectable Today

Deists are pretty much Christian.
The very religious of that era supported the crown as the monarchy had divine right from God.
They got their ass spanked.

Deists are Christian LMAO!

"Take away from Genesis the belief that Moses was the author, on which only the strange believe that it is the word of God has stood, and there remains nothing of Genesis but an anonymous book of stories, fables, and traditionary or invented absurdities, or of downright lies." [Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason]

We have abundant reason to rejoice that in this Land the light of truth and reason has triumphed over the power of bigotry and superstition ... In this enlightened Age and in this Land of equal liberty it is our boast, that a man's religious tenets will not forfeit the protection of the Laws, nor deprive him of the right of attaining and holding the highest Offices that are known in the United States ~George Washington~

"The declaration which says that God visits the sins of the fathers upon the children is contrary to every principle of moral justice." [Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason]

“And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding.” —Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

3.That diabolical, hell-conceived principle of persecution rages among some; and to their eternal infamy, the clergy can furnish their quota of impas for such business..." [James Madison, letter to William Bradford, Jr., Jauary 1774]

"The Bible is such a book of lies and contradictions there is no knowing which part to believe or whether any" [Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason]

If they were so anti Christian they would not have appointed a Christian Chaplain or have written the 1st amendment on religion.

From all I've read they either kept quiet about it or spoke out against superstition.

superstition: a belief for which there is no material evidence, i.e. the new testament

George Washington believed in Gods powerful protection over him during the wars in which he fought.

By the all-powerful dispensations of Providence (God), I have been protected beyond all human probability and expectation; for I had four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me, yet escaped unhurt, altho' death was leveling my companions on every side.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to John A. Washington, Jul. 18, 1755

The ways of Providence being inscrutable, and the justice of it not to be scanned by the shallow eye of humanity, nor to be counteracted by the utmost efforts of human power or wisdom, resignation, and as far as the strength of our reason and religion can carry us, a cheerful acquiescence to the Divine Will, is what we are to aim.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Colonel Bassett, Apr. 25, 1773

No People can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand (God), which conducts the Affairs of men more than the People of the United States. Every step, by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation, seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency (Gods miracles).

GEORGE WASHINGTON, first inaugural address, Apr. 30, 1789

George Washington believed in Gods powerful protection over him during the wars in which he fought.

By the all-powerful dispensations of Providence (God), I have been protected beyond all human probability and expectation; for I had four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me, yet escaped unhurt, altho' death was leveling my companions on every side.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to John A. Washington, Jul. 18, 1755

The ways of Providence being inscrutable, and the justice of it not to be scanned by the shallow eye of humanity, nor to be counteracted by the utmost efforts of human power or wisdom, resignation, and as far as the strength of our reason and religion can carry us, a cheerful acquiescence to the Divine Will, is what we are to aim.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Colonel Bassett, Apr. 25, 1773

No People can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand (God), which conducts the Affairs of men more than the People of the United States. Every step, by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation, seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency (Gods miracles).

GEORGE WASHINGTON, first inaugural address, Apr. 30, 1789

Doesn't say a word about Jesus or the bible. He was a deist.

Nope, GW was a Christian. Jefferson was a deist and Franklin was a believer in demi-urges. Madison and Monroe were Christians. Adams was a Christian Unitarian. Now, you can make an argument that Lincoln was not a Christian, and you would win that hands down, but that is another thread's OP.

Nope, GW was a Christian. Jefferson was a deist and Franklin was a believer in demi-urges. Madison and Monroe were Christians. Adams was a Christian Unitarian. Now, you can make an argument that Lincoln was not a Christian, and you would win that hands down, but that is another thread's OP.

Show me any evidence that Washington was a Christian. Just because he attended church doesn't prove a thing. The forebears believed in a "God of Nature" a lot more like the indian great spirit than any ancient crock of schit that the Jews wrote but don't even believe themselves.

You would like to see one of your own in office,

I'm sure you feel that was clever. I was illustrating Obama's incompetence.

I'll tell you one thing. President Obama took out one of George W. Bush's oil buddies. Our special forces had Bin Laden pinned down at Toro Boro and Bush called them off.

During his last term Bush repeatedly told the press he didn't think about Bin Laden or wasn't concerned. Obama put the hurt on his Arab arse and then dumped his remains in the sea.

The day of 9-11 when all commercial planes were grounded one plane carrying a load of Bin Laden family members flew out to Saudia Arabia. Big oil makes for strange bedfellows.

bandar.jpg
Why do you believe such lies? You really shouldn't let Michael Moore do your thinking for you. He's no better at it than you are.

Fifty-nine Deceits in Fahrenheit 911, Dave Kopel, Independence Institute
Some Saudis left the U.S. by charter flight on September 14, a day when commercial flights had resumed, but when ordinary charter planes were still grounded. When did the bin Ladens actually leave? Not until the next week, as the the 9/11 Commission staff report explains:

Fearing reprisals against Saudi nationals, the Saudi government asked for help in getting some of its citizens out of the country….we have found that the request came to the attention of Richard Clarke and that each of the flights we have studied was investigated by the FBI and dealt with in a professional manner prior to its departure.

No commercial planes, including chartered flights, were permitted to fly into, out of, or within the United States until September 13, 2001. After the airspace reopened, six chartered flights with 142 people, mostly Saudi Arabian nationals, departed from the United States between September 14 and 24. One flight, the so-called Bin Ladin flight, departed the United States on September 20 with 26 passengers, most of them relatives of Usama Bin Ladin. We have found no credible evidence that any chartered flights of Saudi Arabian nationals departed the United States before the reopening of national airspace.

The Saudi flights were screened by law enforcement officials, primarily the FBI, to ensure that people on these flights did not pose a threat to national security, and that nobody of interest to the FBI with regard to the 9/11 investigation was allowed to leave the country. Thirty of the 142 people on these flights were interviewed by the FBI, including 22 of the 26 people (23 passengers and 3 private security guards) on the Bin Ladin flight. Many were asked detailed questions. None of the passengers stated that they had any recent contact with Usama Bin Ladin or knew anything about terrorist activity.

The FBI checked a variety of databases for information on the Bin Ladin flight passengers and searched the aircraft. It is unclear whether the TIPOFF terrorist watchlist was checked. At our request, the Terrorist Screening Center has rechecked the names of individuals on the flight manifests of these six Saudi flights against the current TIPOFF watchlist. There are no matches.

The FBI has concluded that nobody was allowed to depart on these six flights who the FBI wanted to interview in connection with the 9/11 attacks, or who the FBI later concluded had any involvement in those attacks. To date, we have uncovered no evidence to contradict this conclusion.​

The final Commission Report confirms that Clarke was the highest-ranking official who made the decision to let the Saudis go, and that Clarke's decision had no adverse effect on September 11 investigations. See pages 328-29 of the Report.​

I'm sure you feel that was clever. I was illustrating Obama's incompetence.

I'll tell you one thing. President Obama took out one of George W. Bush's oil buddies. Our special forces had Bin Laden pinned down at Toro Boro and Bush called them off.

During his last term Bush repeatedly told the press he didn't think about Bin Laden or wasn't concerned. Obama put the hurt on his Arab arse and then dumped his remains in the sea.

The day of 9-11 when all commercial planes were grounded one plane carrying a load of Bin Laden family members flew out to Saudia Arabia. Big oil makes for strange bedfellows.

bandar.jpg
Why do you believe such lies? You really shouldn't let Michael Moore do your thinking for you. He's no better at it than you are.

Some Saudis left the U.S. by charter flight on September 14, a day when commercial flights had resumed, but when ordinary charter planes were still grounded. When did the bin Ladens actually leave? Not until the next week, as the the 9/11 Commission staff report explains:

Fearing reprisals against Saudi nationals, the Saudi government asked for help in getting some of its citizens out of the country….we have found that the request came to the attention of Richard Clarke and that each of the flights we have studied was investigated by the FBI and dealt with in a professional manner prior to its departure.

No commercial planes, including chartered flights, were permitted to fly into, out of, or within the United States until September 13, 2001. After the airspace reopened, six chartered flights with 142 people, mostly Saudi Arabian nationals, departed from the United States between September 14 and 24. One flight, the so-called Bin Ladin flight, departed the United States on September 20 with 26 passengers, most of them relatives of Usama Bin Ladin. We have found no credible evidence that any chartered flights of Saudi Arabian nationals departed the United States before the reopening of national airspace.

The Saudi flights were screened by law enforcement officials, primarily the FBI, to ensure that people on these flights did not pose a threat to national security, and that nobody of interest to the FBI with regard to the 9/11 investigation was allowed to leave the country. Thirty of the 142 people on these flights were interviewed by the FBI, including 22 of the 26 people (23 passengers and 3 private security guards) on the Bin Ladin flight. Many were asked detailed questions. None of the passengers stated that they had any recent contact with Usama Bin Ladin or knew anything about terrorist activity.

The FBI checked a variety of databases for information on the Bin Ladin flight passengers and searched the aircraft. It is unclear whether the TIPOFF terrorist watchlist was checked. At our request, the Terrorist Screening Center has rechecked the names of individuals on the flight manifests of these six Saudi flights against the current TIPOFF watchlist. There are no matches.

The FBI has concluded that nobody was allowed to depart on these six flights who the FBI wanted to interview in connection with the 9/11 attacks, or who the FBI later concluded had any involvement in those attacks. To date, we have uncovered no evidence to contradict this conclusion.​

The final Commission Report confirms that Clarke was the highest-ranking official who made the decision to let the Saudis go, and that Clarke's decision had no adverse effect on September 11 investigations. See pages 328-29 of the Report.​

I believe it because I watched CNN for 90% of the next 36 hours after the second plane struck the south tower and it was announced. Hell....they couldn't even find George Bush after he left the 2nd grade reading class. Talk about a deer in the headlights.

Show me any evidence that Washington was a Christian. Just because he attended church doesn't prove a thing. The forebears believed in a "God of Nature" a lot more like the Indian great spirit than any ancient crock of schit that the Jews wrote but don't even believe themselves.

Washington was an Anglican, specifically of the Episcopalian Church. The tenents of that church during the 18th and 19th centuries were such that outward displays of piety and religiosity were avoided, in keeping with the Christian practice of Matthew 6:5: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward." (King James Version). Anglican manners seek a "middle ground", which for all intents and purposes was a path that would find the least devisiveness, to avoid or give offense, to keep the peace, and yet to keep space open for shared ideas. The rules for a "gentleman" stated that a "devout" man kept his devotion restrained in public; Washington himself was described by witnesses and biographers as such a man, one who kept his religion and beliefs private.

But when Washington did speak of religion and his faith, he strongly indicated which faith he was talking about. In May, 1789, he sent a letter to the General Assembly of Presbyterian Churches:

"While I reiterate the professions of my dependence upon Heaven as the source of all public and private blessings; I will observe that the general prevalence of piety; philanthropy, honesty, industry, and oeconomy seems, in the ordinary course of human affairs, particularly necessary for advancing and conforming the happiness of our country. While all men within our territories and protected in worshiping the Deity according to the dictates of their consciences; it is rationally to be expected from them in return, that they will be emulous of evincing the sanctity of their professions by the innocence of their lives and the beneficence of their actions; for no man, who is profligate in his morals, or a bad member of the civil community, can possibly be a true Christian, or a credit to his own religious society."

Part of Washington's speech to the Delaware Chiefs

Brothers: I am glad you have brought three of the Children of your principal Chiefs to be educated with us. I am sure Congress will open the Arms of love to them, and will look upon them as their own Children, and will have them educated accordingly. This is a great mark of your confidence and of your desire to preserve the friendship between the Two Nations to the end of time, and to become One people with your Brethren of the United States. My ears hear with pleasure the other matters you mention. Congress will be glad to hear them too. You do well to wish to learn our arts and ways of life, and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ. These will make you a greater and happier people than you are. Congress will do every thing they can to assist you in this wise intention; and to tie the knot of friendship and union so fast, that nothing shall ever be able to loose it.

bandar.jpg

I believe it because I watched CNN for 90% of the next 36 hours after the second plane struck the south tower and it was announced. Hell....they couldn't even find George Bush after he left the 2nd grade reading class. Talk about a deer in the headlights.
History simply doesn't back up your hate-driven version of reality.

But then, you're a leftist. You're driven solely by emotion. Facts and logic don't even make a dent.

Show me any evidence that Washington was a Christian. Just because he attended church doesn't prove a thing. The forebears believed in a "God of Nature" a lot more like the Indian great spirit than any ancient crock of schit that the Jews wrote but don't even believe themselves.

Washington was an Anglican, specifically of the Episcopalian Church. The tenents of that church during the 18th and 19th centuries were such that outward displays of piety and religiosity were avoided, in keeping with the Christian practice of Matthew 6:5: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward." (King James Version). Anglican manners seek a "middle ground", which for all intents and purposes was a path that would find the least devisiveness, to avoid or give offense, to keep the peace, and yet to keep space open for shared ideas. The rules for a "gentleman" stated that a "devout" man kept his devotion restrained in public; Washington himself was described by witnesses and biographers as such a man, one who kept his religion and beliefs private.

But when Washington did speak of religion and his faith, he strongly indicated which faith he was talking about. In May, 1789, he sent a letter to the General Assembly of Presbyterian Churches:

"While I reiterate the professions of my dependence upon Heaven as the source of all public and private blessings; I will observe that the general prevalence of piety; philanthropy, honesty, industry, and oeconomy seems, in the ordinary course of human affairs, particularly necessary for advancing and conforming the happiness of our country. While all men within our territories and protected in worshiping the Deity according to the dictates of their consciences; it is rationally to be expected from them in return, that they will be emulous of evincing the sanctity of their professions by the innocence of their lives and the beneficence of their actions; for no man, who is profligate in his morals, or a bad member of the civil community, can possibly be a true Christian, or a credit to his own religious society."

Part of Washington's speech to the Delaware Chiefs

Brothers: I am glad you have brought three of the Children of your principal Chiefs to be educated with us. I am sure Congress will open the Arms of love to them, and will look upon them as their own Children, and will have them educated accordingly. This is a great mark of your confidence and of your desire to preserve the friendship between the Two Nations to the end of time, and to become One people with your Brethren of the United States. My ears hear with pleasure the other matters you mention. Congress will be glad to hear them too. You do well to wish to learn our arts and ways of life, and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ. These will make you a greater and happier people than you are. Congress will do every thing they can to assist you in this wise intention; and to tie the knot of friendship and union so fast, that nothing shall ever be able to loose it.
You hush. Cammy knows better about GW's beliefs than GW does. :lol:

But then, you're a leftist. You're driven solely by emotion. Facts and logic don't even make a dent.

You've definitely got me mixed up with FAUX News, Ann Coulter, Bill O'Really, Sean Hannity et al They wouldn't know a fact from a sheep's nuts.

You've definitely got me mixed up with FAUX News, Ann Coulter, Bill O'Really, Sean Hannity et al They wouldn't know a fact from a sheep's nuts.
I've just shown you that your moonbat idiocy is not based on reality.

Yet you bitterly cling to it.

Reality has kicked your ass. Again.

ROTFL!!

You gotta be schittin me. Anybody who believes a man was hung on a tree, bled like a hog then showed up two days later fit as a fiddle has reality mixed up with insanity.

ROTFL!!

You gotta be schittin me. Anybody who believes a man was hung on a tree, bled like a hog then showed up two days later fit as a fiddle has reality mixed up with insanity.
Do you have anything credible to back up your moronic claim about Bush letting the bin Laden family fly out?

Because there is nothing credible that backs it up. Just moonbat idiocy.

ROTFL!!

Do you have anything credible to back up your moronic claim about Bush letting the bin Laden family fly out?

The only people who don't believe it are blind assholes who support the rich and powerful every phuckin day of their lives.

When are the median percentile of the citi ens of these United States going to reali e that they are sheep

Last edited:
ROTFL!!

The only people who don't believe it are blind assholes who support the rich and powerful every phuckin day of their lives.

When are the median percentile of the citi ens of these United States going to reali e that they are sheep
So, you have nothing to back up your ludicrous claim.

Fail.

So, you have nothing to back up your ludicrous claim.

Fail.

Total U S Debt

09/30/2009 $11,909,829,003,511.75(80% Of All Debt Across 232 Years Borrowed By Reagan And Bushes)

09/30/2008 $10,024,724,896,912.49(Times Square Debt Clock Modified To Accomodate Tens of Trillions)

09/30/2007 $9,007,653,372,262.48
09/30/2006 $8,506,973,899,215.23
09/30/2005 $7,932,709,661,723.50
09/30/2004 $7,379,052,696,330.32

09/30/2003 $6,783,231,062,743.62(Second Bush Tax Cuts Enacted Using Reconciliation)

09/30/2002 $6,228,235,965,597.16

09/30/2001 $5,807,463,412,200.06(First Bush Tax Cuts Enacted Using Reconciliation)

09/30/2000 $5,674,178,209,886.86(Administration And Congress Arguing About How To Use Surplus)

09/30/1999 $5,656,270,901,615.43(First Surplus Generated...On Track To Pay Off Debt By 2012)

09/30/1998 $5,526,193,008,897.62
09/30/1997 $5,413,146,011,397.34
09/30/1996 $5,224,810,939,135.73
09/29/1995 $4,973,982,900,709.39
09/30/1994 $4,692,749,910,013.32

09/30/1993 $4,411,488,883,139.38(Debt Quadrupled By Reagan/Bush41)

09/30/1992 $4,064,620,655,521.66
09/30/1991 $3,665,303,351,697.03
09/28/1990 $3,233,313,451,777.25
09/29/1989 $2,857,430,960,187.32
09/30/1988 $2,602,337,712,041.16
09/30/1987 $2,350,276,890,953.00
09/30/1986 $2,125,302,616,658.42
09/30/1985 $1,823,103,000,000.00
09/30/1984 $1,572,266,000,000.00
09/30/1983 $1,377,210,000,000.00

09/30/1982 $1,142,034,000,000.00(Total Debt Passes $1 Trillion)

09/30/1981 $997,855,000,000.00

Bush 4 trillion in 8 years.
Obama 4 Trillion in 3 years.

Both are bad no matter how you look at it.

And this is part of what I have been saying that it's been bad by both parties for 30 years, since 1982.

Forum List

Back