5 Founding Fathers' Skepticism About Christianity Would Make Them Unelectable Today

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Shame the article contains alot of bullcrap. Such as the Washington was a Diest when the man was an active vestryman for the Anglican Church. People who don't believe generally don't volunteer their time to actively build the Church. Nor do they fund and encourage missionary trips. Nor do they widely quote scripture. Nor do they tutor their children in the faith.

Shame the article contains alot of bullcrap. Such as the Washington was a Diest when the man was an active vestryman for the Anglican Church. People who don't believe generally don't volunteer their time to actively build the Church. Nor do they fund and encourage missionary trips. Nor do they widely quote scripture. Nor do they tutor their children in the faith.
Well, it IS AlternateReality.net.

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

US Treaty with Tripoli, 1796-1797

The U.S. NOT founded upon Christianity

Constitutional Topic: The Constitution and Religion - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

The FF's skepticism about government control of religion seems to be well founded. As a matter of fact they placed freedom of religion in the first limitation of government known as the "Bill of Rights". Maybe we will get over the majority decision of the Supreme Court by a justice appointed by FDR who was a former member of the KKK.

not this shit again

sigh

Pretty important topic del or maybe you were talking about that stuff on your head.

keep telling yourself that

i've seen this same bullshit argument roughly 400 times.

"we're a christian country"

"no we're not"

"yes we are"

christian this, deist that, blah blah blah

the creator, the treaty of tripoli yap yap yap

jefferson was a christian, washington never went to church

we're a secular country with a population that is majority christian.

move the fuck along already
:eusa_hand:

not this shit again

sigh

Pretty important topic del or maybe you were talking about that stuff on your head.

"no we're not"

"yes we are"

Here's a thought del. Move the shit out of your ears or look the other way. If you don't like the topic.....please....please don't post inane opinions.

"no we're not"

"yes we are"

Here's a thought del. Move the shit out of your ears or look the other way. If you don't like the topic.....please....please don't post inane opinions.

here's a thought

fuck off and die

This is basically a political jab at the repubs, disguised as a topic of religion. Pretty lame one too.

If the Founding Fathers were somehow "teleported" to 2012 and witnessed what our country has become I'm guessing most of them would be EXTREMELY pissed off by how we've screwed up what they worked so hard to create. Unelectable? They probably wouldn't want anything to do with public office in this day and age.

"no we're not"

"yes we are"

here's a thought

fuck off and die

I guess if you were an honest man you would give yourself a warning or infraction for this last post. I recall being penalized an infraction for the same exact statement.

here's a thought

fuck off and die

I guess if you were an honest man you would give yourself a warning or infraction for this last post. I recall being penalized an infraction for the same exact statement.

i guess if i was a whiny bitch, i'd recall it, too.

here's a thought

fuck off and die

i guess if i was a whiny bitch, i'd recall it, too.

Why would you recall it? It wasn't you that gave it to me. But I did fly it by Gunny and he said it was a clear violation of the rules. You do recall the rules don't you?

PS It won't change your standing as a whiney bitch either way.

By Rob Boston

Thomas Jefferson believed that a coolly rational form of religion would take root in America. Was he ever wrong.

To hear the Religious Right tell it, men like George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were 18th-century versions of Jerry Falwell in powdered wigs and stockings. Nothing could be further from the truth.
More: 5 Founding Fathers Whose Skepticism About Christianity Would Make Them Unelectable Today | Belief | AlterNet
if the 5 founding father's acted today in public, just as they acted back then in public....then they would be elected again....

Do you actually think they were shouting from the rooftops that they were Deists and did not believe that Christ was the son of god, or God manifested in the Son?

got news for ya....the people of the time would have never elected them if they wore that kind of stuff on their coat sleeve....they did what all politicians do....they held their true intentions and feelings on the topic, close to their heart, not for all constituents of the time, to see, they discussed those views in secret meetings....amongst the enlightened of the era.

By Rob Boston

Thomas Jefferson believed that a coolly rational form of religion would take root in America. Was he ever wrong.

To hear the Religious Right tell it, men like George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were 18th-century versions of Jerry Falwell in powdered wigs and stockings. Nothing could be further from the truth.
More: 5 Founding Fathers Whose Skepticism About Christianity Would Make Them Unelectable Today | Belief | AlterNet
if the 5 founding father's acted today in public, just as they acted back then in public....then they would be elected again....

Do you actually think they were shouting from the rooftops that they were Deists and did not believe that Christ was the son of god, or God manifested in the Son?

got news for ya....the people of the time would have never elected them if they wore that kind of stuff on their coat sleeve....they did what all politicians do....they held their true intentions and feelings on the topic, close to their heart, not for all constituents of the time, to see, they discussed those views in secret meetings....amongst the enlightened of the era.

Taking that into account, it not much of a stretch to think they would have wanted freedom FROM religion. Of course, they couldn't say that in the Constitution. That's why we have SC, to figure out the true "original intent" and not just take the word of the anal "literal interpretation" proponents.

not this shit again

sigh

"no we're not"

"yes we are"

Do you get in on these discussions JUST to be a douchebag? If we only talked about things that hadn't been discussed before, we'd have very little to say. Don't like the topic, don't waste our time by posting. :eusa_hand:

"no we're not"

"yes we are"

Do you get in on these discussions JUST to be a douchebag? If we only talked about things that hadn't been discussed before, we'd have very little to say. Don't like the topic, don't waste our time by posting. :eusa_hand:

nope, that's just frosting on the cake.

fuck off

Forum List

Back