4th Grade Science Test

It's a fake. Part of liberal propaganda.

Quantum Windbag said:
It is actually from your fantasy world. If it was from South Carolina you would be able to link to all sorts of news stories about it and not have to post a picture of something you printed yourself.

Asterism said:
Prove it. Which school? Who took the photo? Who else has seen this directly?

Predfan said:
Most likely a fake test created by some left wing nutter and posted on Huff-po or the Daily Kos I'll bet.

I think it's made up bullshit you found on Facebook.

snopes.com: 4th Grade Science Quiz

It does appear to have been confirmed.
so [MENTION=33194]PredFan[/MENTION], [MENTION=24388]asterism[/MENTION], [MENTION=23420]Quantum Windbag[/MENTION], [MENTION=33658]Katzndogz[/MENTION]... Does this affect your opinion on the matter?

I tend to doubt it. :dunno:

Thanks for posting that. It tells of a christian school in a class about genesis and the Bible. It is not a test one would find in a science class in a public school.

Quantum Windbag said:
It is actually from your fantasy world. If it was from South Carolina you would be able to link to all sorts of news stories about it and not have to post a picture of something you printed yourself.

Asterism said:

Predfan said:
Most likely a fake test created by some left wing nutter and posted on Huff-po or the Daily Kos I'll bet.

so [MENTION=33194]PredFan[/MENTION], [MENTION=24388]asterism[/MENTION], [MENTION=23420]Quantum Windbag[/MENTION], [MENTION=33658]Katzndogz[/MENTION]... Does this affect your opinion on the matter?

The last time I looked they did not have it marked true. They are also indicating that the test probably came from Blue Ridge Christian Academy.

Note the question on the second page of the test.
18. The next time someone says the earth is billions (or millions) of years old, what can you say? The correct answer is "Were you there?"

And to think there are people who want to see this stuff taught in public schools as an alternative to real science.

Asterism said:

The last time I looked they did not have it marked true. They are also indicating that the test probably came from Blue Ridge Christian Academy.

18. The next time someone says the earth is billions (or millions) of years old, what can you say? The correct answer is "Were you there?"

And to think there are people who want to see this stuff taught in public schools as an alternative to real science.

Actually it is marked "True" on the Snopes page. The school confirmed it.

What a way to fuck up a child's head. But then what were the parents thinking sending her there in the first place?! I don't envy the father having to explain that.

Asterism said:

so @PredFan, @asterism, @Quantum Windbag, @Katzndogz... Does this affect your opinion on the matter?

Really?
Who?

Quantum Windbag said:

Asterism said:

Predfan said:

Yes.

This is idiotic and I'd take my kid out of that school immediately. It's one thing to discuss creationism in a science class because it is a possibility (while then discussing the scientific method and evidence), it's another thing to push this sort of nonsense.

The bible doesn't mention dinosaurs. Indoctrinating kids to say "were you there?" as a refute of currently accepted timelines is not science.

What a way to fuck up a child's head. But then what were the parents thinking sending her there in the first place?! I don't envy the father having to explain that.

I don't see how it would fuck up anyone's head. All sorts of schools lie to students. In elementary school we were told that the teacher's strike didn't hurt the other school employees (a neighbor was a janitor) because he could get unemployment. That turned out to be a lie. My teachers told me that the Soviet Union would start a nuclear war rather than break up. That was false. We learned that a new ice age was coming. I guess the jury is still out on that one.

The lesson plan is stupid but you idiots are making way too big of a deal out of it.

I don't see how it would fuck up anyone's head. All sorts of schools lie to students. In elementary school we were told that the teacher's strike didn't hurt the other school employees (a neighbor was a janitor) because he could get unemployment. That turned out to be a lie. My teachers told me that the Soviet Union would start a nuclear war rather than break up. That was false. We learned that a new ice age was coming. I guess the jury is still out on that one.

The lesson plan is stupid but you idiots are making way too big of a deal out of it.

"Idiots"??

A little child was grossly deceived twice, directly by an institution she's been told to believe in, and indirectly by her parents who put her in that school! To see the wrong in that makes us "Idiots"??
Are you fucking insane?

>> I didn't know that this was being taught to her until we heard a radio commercial together about the Discover the Dinosaurs exhibit was [sic] coming to the TD Convention Center (in Greenville, South Carolina). The Commercial starts out, "After 65 million years, the dinosaurs have returned..." She commented immediately that it was only four thousand years ago. When I corrected her, she snapped back, "Were you there?"

I have since taught my daughter differently, but I am sure she is confused now...

The test showed up [at] home a day later to my disgust.
<<

-- the father furnished the second page of the test. Note the bottom line:

quiz2.jpg

Now this girl has to re-think everything she's taught, question her faith in her father for sending her to an outfit like this, and wonder what else she's been lied to about.

At least she's learned a lesson in cynicism, but would you want your daughter manipulated like this, putting a wedge between children and their parents?

And you want to equate this with whether a janitor gets unemployment?? Are you shittin' me?

And yet WE'RE the "idiots'... smh

Last edited:

"Idiots"??

A little child was grossly deceived twice, directly by an institution she's been told to believe in, and indirectly by her parents who put her in that school! To see the wrong in that makes us "Idiots"??
Are you fucking insane?

>> I didn't know that this was being taught to her until we heard a radio commercial together about the Discover the Dinosaurs exhibit was [sic] coming to the TD Convention Center (in Greenville, South Carolina). The Commercial starts out, "After 65 million years, the dinosaurs have returned..." She commented immediately that it was only four thousand years ago. When I corrected her, she snapped back, "Were you there?"

I have since taught my daughter differently, but I am sure she is confused now...

<<

quiz2.jpg

Now this girl has to re-think everything she's taught, question her faith in her father for sending her to an outfit like this, and wonder what else she's been lied to about.

At least she's learned a lesson in cynicism, but would you want your daughter manipulated like this, putting a wedge between children and their parents?

And you want to equate this with whether a janitor gets unemployment?? Are you shittin' me?

You're not idiots for seeing the wrong in this lesson and in the school's approach, you're idiots for making this a much bigger deal than it is. I would not want my children taught this but I have to correct them frequently, and sometimes I'm the one that is incorrect.

And yes, I think my teacher directly lying to us to hide her indifference to the negative effects of her strike is on par with teaching literal evangelical creationism as "science." Both are bald-faced lies.

Last edited:

"Idiots"??

Are you fucking insane?

<<

quiz2.jpg

You're not idiots for seeing the wrong in this lesson and in the school's approach, you're idiots for making this a much bigger deal than it is. I would not want my children taught this but I have to correct them frequently, and sometimes I'm the one that is incorrect.

And yes, I think my teacher directly lying to us to hide her indifference to the negative effects of her strike is on par with teaching literal evangelical creationism as "science." Both are bald-faced lies.

Are you not following this?

The kid (and her classmates) were not the "wrong" ones here. The child is the innocent victim. The school is directly in the wrong, and the parents are indirectly wrong for having sent her into that wacko den of iniquity in the first place.

Your elementary school teacher did not "hide" her indifference; she expressed it. Perhaps paying more attention in English might have been wise, but what you're trying to equate here is a difference in opinion, or even less than that, in scale of importance. So today you have a different opinion on her teacher's strike? Big whoop.

On the other hand filling kids' heads with crap like "dinosaurs existed four thousand years ago and if your parents say different they're liars" is not even remotely vaguely smelling-distance-with-binoculars close to that. That's undermining her whole faith in institutions and in parenting itself. That's fucked up and dangerous. Next step is "turning your parents in". That's brainwashing. It's no wonder the father is upset and pulled her from the school, but what the hell was he thinking sending her there in the first place?

I had an elementary school teacher tell us that the earth is rotating at "thousands and thousands of miles per hour". That's what an innocuous misinformed error is.

This is deliberate intellectual and emotional sabotage.

As I said before, I don't envy the father having to explain to his child why he sent her into such a fucked up environment. That could take a long time for her to figure out and forgive.

Last edited:

Quantum Windbag said:

Asterism said:

Predfan said:

so @PredFan, @asterism, @Quantum Windbag, @Katzndogz... Does this affect your opinion on the matter?

I have the same opinion of it that Phil Plait does.

Really?
Who?
Intelligent Design which is basically Creationism without the reference to God or the scriptures is being taught in public schools in Louisiana and several school districts across the country.

The states of Colorado, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Montana are considering introducing it into public schools.

Look for Adam and Eve and the dinosaurs which may be coming to a public school in your neighborhood.

Louisiana Creates: New Pro-Intelligent Design Rules for Teachers - ScienceInsider
Four US states considering laws that challenge teaching of evolution | World news | guardian.co.uk

Really?
Who?
Intelligent Design which is basically Creationism without the reference to God or the scriptures is being taught in public schools in Louisiana and several school districts across the country.

The states of Colorado, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Montana are considering introducing it into public schools.

Look for Adam and Eve and the dinosaurs which may be coming to a public school in your neighborhood.

Louisiana Creates: New Pro-Intelligent Design Rules for Teachers - ScienceInsider
Four US states considering laws that challenge teaching of evolution | World news | guardian.co.uk

But not as an "alternative".
In-addition-to.
We debate both sides of the argument. Why can't our children?

"Idiots"??

Are you fucking insane?

<<

quiz2.jpg

The kid (and her classmates) were not the "wrong" ones here. The child is the innocent victim. The school is directly in the wrong, and the parents are indirectly wrong for having sent her into that wacko den of iniquity in the first place.

Your elementary school teacher did not "hide" her indifference; she expressed it. Perhaps paying more attention in English might have been wise, but what you're trying to equate here is a difference in opinion, or even less than that, in scale of importance. So today you have a different opinion on her teacher's strike? Big whoop.

On the other hand filling kids' heads with crap like "dinosaurs existed four thousand years ago and if your parents say different they're liars" is not even remotely vaguely smelling-distance-with-binoculars close to that. That's undermining her whole faith in institutions and in parenting itself. That's fucked up and dangerous. Next step is "turning your parents in". That's brainwashing. It's no wonder the father is upset and pulled her from the school, but what the hell was he thinking sending her there in the first place?

I had an elementary school teacher tell us that the earth is rotating at "thousands and thousands of miles per hour". That's what an innocuous misinformed error is.

As I said before, I don't envy the father having to explain to his child why he sent her into such a fucked up environment. That could take a long time for her to figure out and forgive.

Yes, I'm following this. I frequently have to correct my kids when they tell me about things they've learned at school. Sometimes, I am the one that is incorrect.

My elementary teacher did indeed hide her indifference, that's why she lied to us and said that the janitor would be just fine because he got unemployment insurance while the strike was going on. He didn't, and she knew it.

There are many many situations where schools and church mislead children and this is just one of those. This situation is terrible, and as I said previously I wouldn't stand for it.

Really?
Who?

In-addition-to.

Creationism is an alternative to scientific theory, although in my opinion not a good one.

Debate as much as you like in your church, your private school, the Internet, or a street corner but not in public schools supported with taxpayer dollars.

Yes, I'm following this. I frequently have to correct my kids when they tell me about things they've learned at school. Sometimes, I am the one that is incorrect.

My elementary teacher did indeed hide her indifference, that's why she lied to us and said that the janitor would be just fine because he got unemployment insurance while the strike was going on. He didn't, and she knew it.

There are many many situations where schools and church mislead children and this is just one of those. This situation is terrible, and as I said previously I wouldn't stand for it.
It looks like this comes from a private school so it's the parents choice as to how they educate their kids.

I don't think there are many people who want religion taught in public schools, however there is much support for teaching Intelligent Design which is Creationism without the scriptures and reference to God. It is being promoted by the Discovery Institute, a politically conservative think tank in the US. All the leading proponents of intelligent design are associated with the Institute and believe the designer to be the Christian deity. By avoiding direct reference to God and the Bible, it's hoped that it will get through the courts. If it does, it will be taught in many public schools.
Intelligent design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

In-addition-to.

Creationism is an alternative to scientific theory, although in my opinion not a good one.

Debate as much as you like in your church, your private school, the Internet, or a street corner but not in public schools supported with taxpayer dollars.

What does that have to do with it?

It looks like this comes from a private school so it's the parents choice as to how they educate their kids.

I don't think there are many people who want religion taught in public schools, however there is much support for teaching Intelligent Design which is Creationism without the scriptures and reference to God. It is being promoted by the Discovery Institute, a politically conservative think tank in the US. All the leading proponents of intelligent design are associated with the Institute and believe the designer to be the Christian deity. By avoiding direct reference to God and the Bible, it's hoped that it will get through the courts. If it does, it will be taught in many public schools.

As long as it's not taught as science, I have no problem with discussing intelligent design as a possibility. It's a very good means to teach the scientific method and provides a better understanding of what science is and what science is not.

An interesting concept is one in which God could have created all this evidence to make it appear as if the Earth was billions of years old. That idea is also expressed as Solipsism, a very deep and useful logical construct. In my opinion, teaching this to children has the effect of separating their developing religious faith with the physical evidence that can be measured, which is what science should do.

Last edited:

As long as it's not taught as science, I have no problem with discussing intelligent design as a possibility. It's a very good means to teach the scientific method and provides a better understanding of what science is and what science is not.

An interesting concept is one in which God could have created all this evidence to make it appear as if the Earth was billions of years old. That idea is also expressed as Solipsism, a very deep and useful logical construct. In my opinion, teaching this to children has the effect of separating their developing religious faith with the physical evidence that can be measured, which is what science should do.

The quiz wasn't a science quiz, it was a quiz about what was on a DVD. I don't know any Christians who don't think the world is billions of years old and it is something that isn't in the Bible.

Intelligent design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/SIZE]

That's really an interesting idea.
However, I don't like the idea of teaching Intelligent Design in public schools for several reasons.

Intelligent Design is a very thinly veiled attempt to teach the creation story as portrayed in the Bible. Our schools are filled with children being raised as Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, agnostic, and atheist. Better the schools stick to science and leave the supernatural explanations to parents and churches.

The primary goal of science is to discover and explain our world. Intelligent Design does neither. It's sole purpose is to support an existing believe. It uses science to do that while ignoring all scientific evidence that might discredit that belief. This is not science and certainly should not be taught in a science classroom.

If parents want Intelligent Design taught to their children, they are free to send their children to private schools or they can teach them at home or through their church. Our country is falling behind the rest of the world in science education. We need to use our classroom hours to teach the basics of real science.

Last edited:

Riiiiiiiiight.... so you're actually trying to equate outright BS propaganda about what the world is and who the child can trust for these deep questions ---- a basic framework that will influence the child's entire life --- with the question of whether or not some janitor qualifies or unemployment.

That may be the most transparent bullshit I've ever read on a message board. So the whole "I wouldn't stand for it" song and dance rings more than a little hollow. It rings far more true as a thinly veiled assent for "intelligent design", which in turn is a thinly veiled blah blah, already been said. The only part I don't get is how you figure you're going to sell this point.

No, whether some long-forgotten janitor got on with his working life or whether any of my classmates had to re-learn how fast the earth rotates, is in no possible conceivable way the same thing as brainwashing vulnerable kids about how life itself works and who to trust about it. This dog don't hunt.

Forum List

Back