42% Of Americans Believe That Obama Has Expanded His Power Too Much

Okay, 42% of all Americans believe that Obama has expanded presidential powers too much. Not surprisingly, more Republicans than Democrats believe that.

Here is the part that shocked me. Some Dems believe that Obama hasn't expanded his powers enough.

It's one thing to defend him and say he isn't a power-hungry wannabe dictator. Quite another to wish he would go even further to make congress irrelevant. I realize there are people who embrace communism and are willing to allow one man to control the entire nation. What kind of person is willing to cede all rights to government? Never underestimate the power of free housing, free medical and free food. Government dependents will consent to government trampling the rights of citizens in exchange for staying on the liberal plantation. The useful idiots will take down yet another country. It's happened before many times.

It's wrong for any president to expand powers beyond what was intended in the constitution. Bush was criticized sharply for the increase in powers after 9/11, as he should have been, but Obama has put the policies on steroids and some idiots now say that is not enough. Wow.

Of course, they only want Dems to hold that much power. They will immediately seek to undo Obama's power grab as soon as a Republican is back in the White House.

Poll Many Americans Believe Obama Has Expanded Presidential Power

What is not surprising is when Bush was in office, there was not a PEEP from you right wing turds...

You joined this board in 2009 so how the hell would you know that?

Gee, I didn't know this is the only forum that exists in the world Steph. I was on plenty of other boards as far back as the early 2000's. And guess what Steph, we have one of those new fangled things called a TV set. It is even in COLOR!

You are wrong...a democracy is:

1) government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.

Democracy is nothing more than mob rule which is why we don't have one.

We do have one. It's a representative democracy.

Are you saying a Euro-social democracy and an authoritarian central bureaucracy are the same thing?

Yes. I'm sure that exceptions could exist, but yes.

There is a significant difference between "authoritarian" and "totalitarian" government, if that's where you're going.

Where I'm going is there couldn't be a bigger difference then there is between a social democracy and an authoritarian central bureaucracy.

Where there is little if any difference between "authoritarian" and totalitarian" government.

Of course there is a difference.

Authority can be increased or decreased along a spectrum. With the ACA, the government has more authority than it did before, clearly.

Total authority, totalitarianism, is at the end of the spectrum.

In a social democracy, the central bureaucracy has more authority, more control, more influence.

1) government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.

I have no idea what your point is.

In a social democracy, such as Sweden or France, the central government is more Authoritarian than what we currently have in America. That doesn't mean that the government was not voted in.

You appear to be confusing Authoritarianism with some kind of dictatorship, or something, who knows.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Authoritarianism is a form of government characterized by absolute or blind obedience to authority, as against individual freedom and related to the expectation of unquestioning obedience.

Sweden...

rGaY7VH.png

Yes. I'm sure that exceptions could exist, but yes.

There is a significant difference between "authoritarian" and "totalitarian" government, if that's where you're going.

Where I'm going is there couldn't be a bigger difference then there is between a social democracy and an authoritarian central bureaucracy.

Where there is little if any difference between "authoritarian" and totalitarian" government.

Authority can be increased or decreased along a spectrum. With the ACA, the government has more authority than it did before, clearly.

In a social democracy, the central bureaucracy has more authority, more control, more influence.

In a social democracy, such as Sweden or France, the central government is more Authoritarian than what we currently have in America. That doesn't mean that the government was not voted in.

You appear to be confusing Authoritarianism with some kind of dictatorship, or something, who knows.

Authoritarianism is a form of government characterized by absolute or blind obedience to authority, as against individual freedom and related to the expectation of unquestioning obedience.

Sweden...

rGaY7VH.png

Okay, whatever makes you feel better.

All or nothing, it can only be this or that, either/or, binary, that's how you folks are.

This romantic notion you have that politicians and regular citizens are equal is charming.

Naive, of course, but charming.

Democracy is nothing more than mob rule which is why we don't have one.

Mention the evil word 'democracy' and the right is like Pavlov's dog...parroting what their corporate puppet master teach them to squawk.

Sweden...

rGaY7VH.png

All or nothing, it can only be this or that, either/or, binary, that's how you folks are.

This romantic notion you have that politicians and regular citizens are equal is charming.

Listen...go FIND a definition of authoritarianism that matches yours...I challenge you.

And BTW, it is YOU who began the name calling...own up to it.

Sweden...

rGaY7VH.png

Listen...go FIND a definition of authoritarianism that matches yours...I challenge you.

Oh gosh, I've been "challenged".

I have made my point clearly. You don't like my point because you don't like admitting that you want more centralized authority over your life and the lives of others.

Not my problem.

I don't care.

I wonder if there would have been any expansion had congress not become a dysfunctional pile of uselessness and spite. I have often advanced the idea that a vast power vacuum has been created in Washington by congress acting in ways that run counter to their mandates and sworn duties and that Obama has stepped in to fill the void left by their flat refusal to legislate in the interests of Americans during a terrible recession.

Congress is under no obligation to grant any president their agenda. There is a reason why we have separation of powers.

Maybe not, but congress has an obligation to do its Consitutional job. Shutting down government, blocking judicial appointments, refusing to pass a budget and blocking all legislation is not doing your job

Only one you got right is refusing to pass a budget. The others are doing their job. Stopping unqualified judicial nominees and blocking harmful legislation is exactly why some are sent to Washington.

I wonder if there would have been any expansion had congress not become a dysfunctional pile of uselessness and spite. I have often advanced the idea that a vast power vacuum has been created in Washington by congress acting in ways that run counter to their mandates and sworn duties and that Obama has stepped in to fill the void left by their flat refusal to legislate in the interests of Americans during a terrible recession.

Congress is under no obligation to grant any president their agenda. There is a reason why we have separation of powers.

Maybe not, but congress has an obligation to do its Consitutional job. Shutting down government, blocking judicial appointments, refusing to pass a budget and blocking all legislation is not doing your job

Only one you got right is refusing to pass a budget. The others are doing their job. Stopping unqualified judicial nominees and blocking harmful legislation is exactly why some are sent to Washington.
That would be fine if the blanket reason for all that obstruction and sabotage were not just "Obama wants it so it is therefore evil".

Sweden...

rGaY7VH.png

I have made my point clearly. You don't like my point because you don't like admitting that you want more centralized authority over your life and the lives of others.

Not my problem.

I don't care.

Your 'point' is wrong on every levels. First and foremost, in definition, which was my ONLY point. As a matter of FACT democracy is a antonym of authoritarianism. But you instantly act butt hurt and insecure.

Second, in what I want and don't want. There is NOTHING in my reply that would lead to your conclusion. They are totally based on YOU and what you fear and have insecurities over.

Authoritarianism - Synonyms and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
authoritarianism
noun
a system of government in which the ruler has unlimited power <a critical period that saw a number of third-world countries abandon authoritarianism for democracy>

Synonyms
absolutism, autarchy, authoritarianism, autocracy, Caesarism, czarism (also tsarism or tzarism), dictatorship, totalism, totalitarianism, tyranny

Related Words
monarchism, monarchy, monocracy; Big Brother, Big Brotherism, Communism, fascism, Nazism; domination, oppression

Near Antonyms
democracy, self-governance, self-government, self-rule; freedom, self-determination; autonomy, sovereignty (also sovranty)

Sweden...

rGaY7VH.png

Not my problem.

I don't care.

Your 'point' is wrong on every levels. First and foremost, in definition, which was my ONLY point. As a matter of FACT democracy is a antonym of authoritarianism. But you instantly act butt hurt and insecure.

Second, in what I want and don't want. There is NOTHING in my reply that would lead to your conclusion. They are totally based on YOU and what you fear and have insecurities over.

authoritarianism
noun
a system of government in which the ruler has unlimited power <a critical period that saw a number of third-world countries abandon authoritarianism for democracy>

Synonyms
absolutism, autarchy, authoritarianism, autocracy, Caesarism, czarism (also tsarism or tzarism), dictatorship, totalism, totalitarianism, tyranny

Related Words
monarchism, monarchy, monocracy; Big Brother, Big Brotherism, Communism, fascism, Nazism; domination, oppression

Near Antonyms
democracy, self-governance, self-government, self-rule; freedom, self-determination; autonomy, sovereignty (also sovranty)

Parse definitions all you want. Deflection.

As I said, you don't like my point because you don't like admitting that you want more centralized authority over your life and the lives of others.

Deflect all you want.

So you were really angry when the Democrats did it to Reagan repeatedly, right?
The democrats willfully tried to shut down the government and filibustered practically all appointments? lern to history.

The Democrats shut down the government eight times under Reagan. Learn to spell.

So you were really angry when the Democrats did it to Reagan repeatedly, right?
The democrats willfully tried to shut down the government and filibustered practically all appointments? lern to history.

The Democrats shut down the government eight times under Reagan. Learn to spell.
Technical weekend shutdowns that did not cost jobs or furloughs and didn't negatively effect the stock markets. So not exactly the same thing as flirting with government default and setting back recovery a year.

42% believing one thing does not mean 58% believe the other. Where's the accounting for OTHER positions like:

What does "expand" mean?
Who in Hell is Obama?
or the fave for leftists: DUH!

Sweden...

rGaY7VH.png

Not my problem.

I don't care.

authoritarianism
noun

Synonyms

Related Words

Near Antonyms

As I said, you don't like my point because you don't like admitting that you want more centralized authority over your life and the lives of others.

Deflect all you want.

There is no 'parse'. Democracy is the antonym of authoritarianism. They are exact polar opposites.

And the only deflection is by you. You whiffed on this one...man up.

But now I finally understand what conservatives MEAN by less government. No wonder you folks love Bush 'the decider' and why you folks are so enamored with Putin. Less government for conservatives mean ONE. A dictator. Democracy allows too many citizens to participate in how their country is run. We can let any of the rabble have a say, right Mac?

Now I see why you rarely say anything. I have swiftly removed the veneer that you are a moderate.

Not my problem.

I don't care.

authoritarianism
noun

Synonyms

Related Words

Near Antonyms

Deflect all you want.

There is no 'parse'. Democracy is the antonym of authoritarianism. They are exact polar opposites.

But now I finally understand what conservatives MEAN by less government. No wonder you folks love Bush 'the decider' and why you folks are so enamored with Putin. Less government for conservatives mean ONE. A dictator. Democracy allows too many citizens to participate in how their country is run. We can let any of the rabble have a say, right Mac?

Now I see why you rarely say anything. I have swiftly removed the veneer that you are a moderate.

You can really can't get past the fact that not everyone is a partisan ideologue like you. Love Bush? What are my often-cited opinions on foreign policy, war, health care, gay rights, unions, abortion and personal income taxation?

Go ahead. I'll wait. You can't stand the fact that I think for myself, you'd rather I were an obedient little partisan ideologue like you. Too bad.

So you won't admit that you don't like my point because you don't like admitting that you want more centralized authority over your life and the lives of others. You must want LESS government authority over our lives, huh? You people appear to be incapable of being intellectually honest.

So since you refuse to answer that one, let's try this one: What are my often-cited opinions on foreign policy, war, health care, gay rights, unions, abortion and personal income taxation?

Come on. Man up. For a change. Answer the question. I suspect you'll just deflect. Again.

Last edited:

Not my problem.

I don't care.

authoritarianism
noun

Synonyms

Related Words

Near Antonyms

Deflect all you want.

You can really can't get past the fact that not everyone is a partisan ideologue like you. Love Bush? What are my often-cited opinions on foreign policy, war, health care, gay rights, unions, abortion and personal income taxation?

Go ahead. I'll wait. You can't stand the fact that I think for myself, you'd rather I were an obedient little partisan ideologue like you. Too bad.

So you won't admit that you don't like my point because you don't like admitting that you want more centralized authority over your life and the lives of others. You must want LESS government authority over our lives, huh? You people appear to be incapable of being intellectually honest.

So since you refuse to answer that one, let's try this one: What are my often-cited opinions on foreign policy, war, health care, gay rights, unions, abortion and personal income taxation?

Come on. Man up. For a change. Answer the question. I suspect you'll just deflect. Again.

Holy fuck, you really are an authoritarian. I MUST adhere to YOUR definition. I am not allowed to have my own definition of freedom, liberty and justice. Tell me Mac, HOW does more democracy = more government authority over people's lives? More democracy means more authority over YOUR OWN life. You have MORE say in how government is run, not less. How is that a bad thing Mac? You prefer to defer authority to someone else, How is THAT freedom MAC?????

Democracy.jpg

The Economist Intelligence Unit's Democracy index is based on five categories: electoral process and pluralism; civil liberties; the functioning of government; political participation; and political culture. The condition of having free and fair competitive elections, and satisfying related aspects of political freedom, is clearly the basic requirement of all definitions.

Not my problem.

I don't care.

authoritarianism
noun

Synonyms

Related Words

Near Antonyms

Deflect all you want.

Holy fuck, you really are an authoritarian. I MUST adhere to YOUR definition. I am not allowed to have my own definition of freedom, liberty and justice. Tell me Mac, HOW does more democracy = more government authority over people's lives? More democracy means more authority over YOUR OWN life. You have MORE say in how government is run, not less. How is that a bad thing Mac? You prefer to defer authority to someone else, How is THAT freedom MAC?????

Democracy.jpg

The Economist Intelligence Unit's Democracy index is based on five categories: electoral process and pluralism; civil liberties; the functioning of government; political participation; and political culture. The condition of having free and fair competitive elections, and satisfying related aspects of political freedom, is clearly the basic requirement of all definitions.

You won't answer questions. You keep deflecting. You keep tossing out straw men.

I'm done here.

This is why I don't burn much time with partisan ideologues.

authoritarianism
noun

Synonyms

Related Words

Near Antonyms

Deflect all you want.

Democracy.jpg

You won't answer questions. You keep deflecting. You keep tossing out straw men.

I'm done here.

This is why I don't burn much time with partisan ideologues.

I am not going to answer for perfectly good reasons.

A) What your beliefs are on abortion, taxes etc is non sequitur...TOTALLY irrelevant.

B) THAT is not the topic here Mac. You equated authoritarianism with democracy. EXPLAIN?

Forum List

Back