400 Americans

Tell me what you know about that era firsthand.

Mmmm --- let's see what I know about that era.

I lived in a country filled with despair, malaise, and disappointment - nobody believed any more. Nobody believed in the government, nobody believed in the future. I remember long gas lines - and 79 Americans being held by a foreign power. I remember the absolute conviction that we were all going to die in a fiery death at the hands of the Russians. I saw long gas lines and a people who had given up.

Then, I remember a leader who came to the front - talked about shining cities on the hill, and the brightness of the future - turned us from a disheveled, disheartened country to one who began to believe in our destiny again. I saw that leader defeat our greatest enemy, and never fired a shot. I saw a leader that staked the future of his country on his belief in the American worker. I saw a leader who cut taxes, put more money back into the hands of the people.

Because I believed in that vision, I started a new company - grew it to about 300 employees during that period. Worked 70-80 hours a week - first nine months, I didn't get paid a nickel. Risked everything - but it worked. That company now employs 4,000 people.

I saw a country emerge from the darkness of rampant progressiveness, into a bright future. I saw non-performers and hangers-on swept by the wayside. Which one were you?
Ok, I'll admit there's some truth to what you've said. And at the time, Reagan looked like a particularly strong leader because Carter appeared so weak.

I'm not sure what you think he did for the American worker however. Probably the pivotal moment in the downward spiral of the working class was his firing of the flight controllers. I didn't see it at the time and maybe neither did he. It should be enough to deny him sainthood though.

I do detect a faint hint of bullshit in your claim that you started a company that now employs 4,000. Why would you be here? If you're running a company that size, you wouldn't have time and if you sold it, why aren't you travelling the world or something. As for me, I'm one of the few remaining upper middle class. I rarely check in here on weekends and the only reason I come here at all is to take a break from my workaday life.

Whoa!!!! Hold it!!!

"If you're running a company that size, you wouldn't have time ... " I thought I was one of those guys ripping off the workers - you said so - you mean the top 1% might actually work for their money???

Now, as to whether it is bullshit - I can assure you it's true. And, yes, I'm now retired. Just hanging out - those two charities (one of which I'm chairman of the board) take almost no time at all. And, the fact that I still serve as a consultant to the House Select Committee on Intelligence - no time at all. And, those times when I go to USC (Southern Cal) and lecture in my role as an adjunct professor - piece of cake.

Why am I here? Because I didn't realize how misinformed the general public is about the reality of the business and political world, until I was invited here by one of your long-time members. I am horrified at the level of total ignorance demonstrated by most of the posters here. It's kinda like driving by a bad car accident - you can't stand what you see, but you can't force yourself not to look. I spend a lot of time in a hotel room. You guys have become by 'reality show'. (I kinda relate you to Snookie)

You're "... one of the few remaining upper middle class ..." Where were you during the 80s? 90s? How did you get to be one of the UMC? Why didn't you "get sabotaged" like all the others? Just lucky? Did you use the government to get ahead? Did you have to work for what you got? You and I are the very proof that your rants are nonsensical.
Mine was a long and strange trip. My first degree was in a 'glamour profession' which didn't get me where I wanted to go. Went back to school in engineering and started my career in defense. Hated it and moved to California to see what I might find. Got into a career I loved, moved, traveled, got a creative position that takes advantage of the glamour part of my training to some extent. Put off settling down until I was well established and lived a pretty average life. I can't complain in most respects but what I do resent is that the goalposts are being moved by the guys who've benefited the most from the advanced society we've created. Super stress to meet deadlines that get other people their bonuses. Having to come up to speed on systems that are too complex for them to understand... Now I have to wonder if I'll be able to retire at what was a common age for such a thing because even with all this added productivity, a social safety net is just out of the question.

See my point? I didn't come from dirt poor --- we couldn't afford dirt. You had several starts and stops in your career, and thus, started late. Yet, we were successful. We are the very proof that it can be done ... if you want it, and are willing to pay the price to get it.

There are a thousand excuses why we fail - but there's only one formula to success. Nobody wants to admit that - nobody wants to say that they didn't work hard enough, or they didn't get enough schooling. Instead, they want excuses that allow them to avoid facing their own shortfalls - "The man kept me down", "I couldn't crack the glass ceiling", "The system is racist" are not the reasons for failure, but they make a great excuse for avoid accepting responsibility for your failure. It's always easier to blame somebody else.
It's a helluva lot harder now, brainwashed old dingbat, after thirty years of pander to the rich Reaganism. Read somethng. see sig pp1

I lived in a country filled with despair, malaise, and disappointment - nobody believed any more. Nobody believed in the government, nobody believed in the future. I remember long gas lines - and 79 Americans being held by a foreign power. I remember the absolute conviction that we were all going to die in a fiery death at the hands of the Russians. I saw long gas lines and a people who had given up.

Then, I remember a leader who came to the front - talked about shining cities on the hill, and the brightness of the future - turned us from a disheveled, disheartened country to one who began to believe in our destiny again. I saw that leader defeat our greatest enemy, and never fired a shot. I saw a leader that staked the future of his country on his belief in the American worker. I saw a leader who cut taxes, put more money back into the hands of the people.

Because I believed in that vision, I started a new company - grew it to about 300 employees during that period. Worked 70-80 hours a week - first nine months, I didn't get paid a nickel. Risked everything - but it worked. That company now employs 4,000 people.

I saw a country emerge from the darkness of rampant progressiveness, into a bright future. I saw non-performers and hangers-on swept by the wayside. Which one were you?
Ok, I'll admit there's some truth to what you've said. And at the time, Reagan looked like a particularly strong leader because Carter appeared so weak.

I'm not sure what you think he did for the American worker however. Probably the pivotal moment in the downward spiral of the working class was his firing of the flight controllers. I didn't see it at the time and maybe neither did he. It should be enough to deny him sainthood though.

I do detect a faint hint of bullshit in your claim that you started a company that now employs 4,000. Why would you be here? If you're running a company that size, you wouldn't have time and if you sold it, why aren't you travelling the world or something. As for me, I'm one of the few remaining upper middle class. I rarely check in here on weekends and the only reason I come here at all is to take a break from my workaday life.

Whoa!!!! Hold it!!!

"If you're running a company that size, you wouldn't have time ... " I thought I was one of those guys ripping off the workers - you said so - you mean the top 1% might actually work for their money???

Now, as to whether it is bullshit - I can assure you it's true. And, yes, I'm now retired. Just hanging out - those two charities (one of which I'm chairman of the board) take almost no time at all. And, the fact that I still serve as a consultant to the House Select Committee on Intelligence - no time at all. And, those times when I go to USC (Southern Cal) and lecture in my role as an adjunct professor - piece of cake.

Why am I here? Because I didn't realize how misinformed the general public is about the reality of the business and political world, until I was invited here by one of your long-time members. I am horrified at the level of total ignorance demonstrated by most of the posters here. It's kinda like driving by a bad car accident - you can't stand what you see, but you can't force yourself not to look. I spend a lot of time in a hotel room. You guys have become by 'reality show'. (I kinda relate you to Snookie)

You're "... one of the few remaining upper middle class ..." Where were you during the 80s? 90s? How did you get to be one of the UMC? Why didn't you "get sabotaged" like all the others? Just lucky? Did you use the government to get ahead? Did you have to work for what you got? You and I are the very proof that your rants are nonsensical.
Mine was a long and strange trip. My first degree was in a 'glamour profession' which didn't get me where I wanted to go. Went back to school in engineering and started my career in defense. Hated it and moved to California to see what I might find. Got into a career I loved, moved, traveled, got a creative position that takes advantage of the glamour part of my training to some extent. Put off settling down until I was well established and lived a pretty average life. I can't complain in most respects but what I do resent is that the goalposts are being moved by the guys who've benefited the most from the advanced society we've created. Super stress to meet deadlines that get other people their bonuses. Having to come up to speed on systems that are too complex for them to understand... Now I have to wonder if I'll be able to retire at what was a common age for such a thing because even with all this added productivity, a social safety net is just out of the question.

See my point? I didn't come from dirt poor --- we couldn't afford dirt. You had several starts and stops in your career, and thus, started late. Yet, we were successful. We are the very proof that it can be done ... if you want it, and are willing to pay the price to get it.

There are a thousand excuses why we fail - but there's only one formula to success. Nobody wants to admit that - nobody wants to say that they didn't work hard enough, or they didn't get enough schooling. Instead, they want excuses that allow them to avoid facing their own shortfalls - "The man kept me down", "I couldn't crack the glass ceiling", "The system is racist" are not the reasons for failure, but they make a great excuse for avoid accepting responsibility for your failure. It's always easier to blame somebody else.
It's a helluva lot harder now, brainwashed old dingbat, after thirty years of pander to the rich Reaganism. Read somethng. see sig pp1

Rule No. 4. When lacking a coherent or cogent counter-argument, attack the poster.

How childish. It's no harder now --- you're just too damn lazy.

Another 1%er out slumming eh? LMAO. Are you trying to show you really identify with us common people?

And if you are advising any committee on matters of intelligence, we are in trouble.

And you, wasting your time and efforts in Democratic academia. Why, when you could be in politics?

Are you da Boss in disguise?

What excuse do you have for your failure?

Whoa!!!! Hold it!!!

Rule No. 4. When lacking a coherent or cogent counter-argument, attack the poster.

I am sure that when Franco "attacks", it is a lot like watching a blind man going after a ninja.

Whoa!!!! Hold it!!!

I'm a retired teacher/businessmn, dumbass. Check college loan rates and the kinds of jobs these days.

Whoa!!!! Hold it!!!

I'm a retired teacher/businessmn, dumbass. Check college loan rates and the kinds of jobs these days.

Yeah, and I am Ross Perot.

You are more like a homeless dickweed.

Whoa!!!! Hold it!!!

I am sure that when Franco "attacks", it is a lot like watching a blind man going after a ninja.
That was no attack out of the ordinary- you mindless drones have no clue. Even if he is a retired whiz at business and defense. Any Dem is smarter than any GOPer- unless he's a greedy rich a-hole. Either way, politically he's a brainwashed jackass or a-hole.

Sure. My guess is you're a young, unemployed racist Rushbot. You got nothing but garbage, Pubtroll.

Whoa!!!! Hold it!!!

You claim to be a retired teacher/businessmn [sic] - but, in fact, you are the typical liberal troll who, when faced with a logical argument, automatically revert to a childish, petty, little name caller who, somehow, thinks that is an acceptable substitute for intelligent input. You need to get out of your basement, and see what the real world is like.

Can't afford the loans? Get a job - go to school part time - whatever you have to do. Instead, you want us to believe that, somehow, the younger generation is incapable of the sacrifice and hard work necessary to get ahead. It is no more difficult today than it was when I did it. I worked full time and went to school part-time. I know it can be done - because it has been done.

Sure. My guess is you're a young, unemployed racist Rushbot. You got nothing but garbage, Pubtroll.

More name calling??? How impressive.

That was no attack out of the ordinary- you mindless drones have no clue. Even if he is a retired whiz at business and defense. Any Dem is smarter than any GOPer- unless he's a greedy rich a-hole. Either way, politically he's a brainwashed jackass or a-hole.

Rule No. 4 When lacking a cogent or coherent counter-argument, attack the poster.

More name calling? Frankly, you're getting B-O-R-I-N-G.

All you do is guess.

It's funny to see your empty posts all the while bleating lib talking points.

All your smart dems got their asses kicked a month ago.

More name calling??? How impressive.

He's a dick.

kaz said:
I'm a Red Wing fan. "Kaz" is for Kalamazoo, Michigan, my home town.
You're welcome for Hasek...we rust belters have to stick together.
Yes, he was phenomenal. In the Western Conference finals we were down 3 games to two to the Avalanche and he doesn't give up another goal in the series.

Your political "opinions' are deluded anyway lol. See sig last line.
Your trust in government is delusional

What MAC college is there, Central Mich., plays UB?
Western Michigan.

BTW, I screwed your daughter Cathy (or Mary) in Paris in 1977. My Microbus at the Observatoire Park fountain was as far as a Yank girl could get with a backup before despair. And there I was with a Beaujolais and baguette, and an unlockable van for the backback. When I got back after an evening of cafes, there she was- the other one was from Chicago- what are the chances lol.. The city of love lol...Gave them a tour the next day. Then they were off on the railpass. Perfect!
No idea what any of this means.

Tell me what you know about that era firsthand.

Whoa!!!! Hold it!!!

I fully realize that effort is required to get anywhere in this life. But oftentimes, that's still not enough. I've known people who've worked their asses off and haven't gotten as far as I have and I've known people who haven't worked nearly as hard who've gone farther. There are a ton of factors that go into success - health, family issues, lucky breaks, opportunity coming at the right time, the right combination of talents for a given situation... I think it's easy for someone that's 'made it' to think that that success is all their doing and that if everyone would just apply themselves, they'd make it too.

Of course, anything CAN happen:

andrew-damage-1a.jpg

Have more wealth than half the population of the United States.

Hey Mr. Reagan, when exactly is this trickle down thing going to kick in?

Hey Mr. Bush, since the "job creators" still have the Tax Cut you gave them in 2002 and 2004, why aren't they, you know, creating more jobs?
Perhaps you could explain why you're entitled to that which you haven't earned.
Why is it you posted yet another drive by thread and abandoned it nut? How about you answer the question?
So...you can't explain why you're entitled to that which you haven't earned?

Not at all surprising, really.

Forum List

Back