280 People Missing in Michael

Is it coincidentail that these storms are more intense?
Here we go folks. More shit from the left that reflects what these losers are reading. Moron.

About every 30 years or so North America gets hit with a cat 5. In 1935, in 1969, in 1992 and now (although technically Michael is a 4.)

The country had not been hit with anything more powerful than 2 from 2005 to 2017.

Can you explain that loser?

LOL..............to those who have rode out many storms running isn't always the option..........Unless you live on the beaches or in a Flood zone...........

When you decide to leave......and I have.......you get stuck in traffic with the other million hauling ass........Gas pumps dry up and you can't get gas............You can't find a hotel anywhere and get stuck in your dang vehicle........because there are no rooms in the inn...........You end up states away to find places to stay where the hotels have jacked up the rates to make more money on those leaving...........

Then low and behold you need to get back home............and they block off the roads to get back home..........forcing you to stay away from your homes for a week or more...........so you can't even get back home........can't get back to work...........We plan when these storms hit............we store water, food and gas...........get the chain saws tuned up..........After Ivan near missed us we spent 2 hours cutting our way home............everyone was out clearing the roads.....We had the streets cleared before county crews ever showed up..............the people did it..........not them...........Then we cranked up the Generators....got in touch to work who NEEDED CLEAN UP CREWS AS WELL...........and went to 7 days a week work a couple of days after the storm. Luckily I work at a refinery where we got free gas for a bit after the storms...........Kinda need that refinery back online so the Gas stations can get gas .............LOL

My neighbor ran for Katrina............ran west........but the predictions were wrong and the storm kept moving west.......got stuck in the dang traffic and got caught in the storm in his vehicle...........rode it out in his vehicle..............the logistics of getting millions out doesn't always pan out..............

We stayed and got hit by 120 mph winds..........few trees down and we cleaned up and went back to work.......Neighbors didn't get back in for a week...............stuck out there not allowed back in and their home took no damage at all.

On Inside Edition this afternoon, a person who had stayed behind had video as his house was being ripped apart. He was sitting on the couch when the whole wall behind him was ripped from the house by the winds.

They also showed a video of a woman who had stayed behind sounding like she was in shock, because she kept repeating that staying was a stupid thing to do, and she never should have done it. She said it several times in a row, and you could hear the stress in her voice.
they were lucky they didn't die

LOL..............to those who have rode out many storms running isn't always the option..........Unless you live on the beaches or in a Flood zone...........

When you decide to leave......and I have.......you get stuck in traffic with the other million hauling ass........Gas pumps dry up and you can't get gas............You can't find a hotel anywhere and get stuck in your dang vehicle........because there are no rooms in the inn...........You end up states away to find places to stay where the hotels have jacked up the rates to make more money on those leaving...........

Then low and behold you need to get back home............and they block off the roads to get back home..........forcing you to stay away from your homes for a week or more...........so you can't even get back home........can't get back to work...........We plan when these storms hit............we store water, food and gas...........get the chain saws tuned up..........After Ivan near missed us we spent 2 hours cutting our way home............everyone was out clearing the roads.....We had the streets cleared before county crews ever showed up..............the people did it..........not them...........Then we cranked up the Generators....got in touch to work who NEEDED CLEAN UP CREWS AS WELL...........and went to 7 days a week work a couple of days after the storm. Luckily I work at a refinery where we got free gas for a bit after the storms...........Kinda need that refinery back online so the Gas stations can get gas .............LOL

My neighbor ran for Katrina............ran west........but the predictions were wrong and the storm kept moving west.......got stuck in the dang traffic and got caught in the storm in his vehicle...........rode it out in his vehicle..............the logistics of getting millions out doesn't always pan out..............

We stayed and got hit by 120 mph winds..........few trees down and we cleaned up and went back to work.......Neighbors didn't get back in for a week...............stuck out there not allowed back in and their home took no damage at all.
Death is forever, and it is not worth risking a real hellish death. You are referring to the aftermath of a devastating hurricane. There is nothing easy about the aftermath. Just the power alone.

I swear I could live with two things. AC and a decent bed. If I have those two things, I will make it. I could also even sleep in my car with the seat reclined. No problem.

Bottom line is you are referring to the aftermath and that is not easy for anyone. When that hurricane looked like it may be a 4 or a 5 last year, I quickly got a hotel PGA resort. Luckily I got one and that was fortunate and even more fortunate that it essentially missed us.

The bottom line with that you are saying, is you are what I call crystal balling it. We do not know what could have happened. This is best we got and I am not riding out a 4 or a 5. Not in my house. Yes, I live on the intracoastal, but I would not do that, even if I was more inland.

Death is forever, and it is not worth risking a real hellish death. You are referring to the aftermath of a devastating hurricane. There is nothing easy about the aftermath. Just the power alone.

I swear I could live with two things. AC and a decent bed. If I have those two things, I will make it. I could also even sleep in my car with the seat reclined. No problem.

Bottom line is you are referring to the aftermath and that is not easy for anyone. When that hurricane looked like it may be a 4 or a 5 last year, I quickly got a hotel PGA resort. Luckily I got one and that was fortunate and even more fortunate that it essentially missed us.

The bottom line with that you are saying, is you are what I call crystal balling it. We do not know what could have happened. This is best we got and I am not riding out a 4 or a 5. Not in my house. Yes, I live on the intracoastal, but I would not do that, even if I was more inland.
That is a personal choice...............and not the choice of everyone...........You stated you would be fine in the vehicle........my neighbors rode out the winds in that vehicle............they were not out of harms way...............because the roads were clogged......................BIG DIFFERENCE.......which was my point................they got caught in the storm in the vehicle...............

PGA resort hotel................most are not wealthy who are running and have a limited budget before the storms hit.............it is easy for you to say how easy it is if you can afford it.................I too can afford to run.......but everone is not the same...........and for the multitude having that money to stay away for a period of time isn't the option.............And I have faced those high winds many times.......with the eye of one passing right over my house..........the house stood..........was out of wood, but well built...................

We cleaned up...........had provisions and waited it out..............when I was young........we didn't have AC at all.....and when we got AC other kids joked at us for being rich..............LOL

The problem with current houses being built are what I refer to MATH STICK HOUSES..........They may be built to code but the older homes were better built...............today they sling them up..........simple measures that don't cost much would make them a hell of a lot stronger................I know people who rode Katrina out in a older Mobile home.......it stood up but neighbors BRAND NEW BRICK homes were completely destroyed................down to the slab.............

Do you want to know why.......................because the older mobile homes used a simple metal strap that wraps completely around the home from side to side and is tied to the earth on both sides of the mobile home..........He reinforced these tie downs with Concrete...................

steel banding

3/4 inch steel banding holds over 2000 pounds........Most banding for older mobile homes are at least 1 inch in width and I would imagine they hold 2500 pounds are so............if the anchors are set very well........you would need a massive amount of upwards force to make them break..........

To me...........if we wanted to increase the survivability of Match Stick homes .............we would only need to have them put this banding across the home and attach to the concrete foundation of the home...........and attach to the roof rafters and it would withstand MASSIVE WINDS...............

13.5-hurricane-tie.jpg

That square simpson strong tie plate.......is strong as hell.....before it would give way to winds.....all the wood would have to be torn to shreds....the wood could break to pieces and that metal plate would still be there.

Hurricanes ain't no joke.... As a retired utility lineman I have seen my share of destructive hurricanes over the years.

One question....do brick or concrete homes also fall like those....when a hurricane hits?? :confused-84:

Brick yes. Depends what kind of concrete or how it’s built. Poured concrete like those in driveways will be the best way. Concrete blocks like used in fences between houses will be a waste and more dangerous.

Hurricanes ain't no joke.... As a retired utility lineman I have seen my share of destructive hurricanes over the years.

One question....do brick or concrete homes also fall like those....when a hurricane hits?? :confused-84:
Brick is nothing more than thick wallpaper. A concrete house with metal roofing, trusses, steel studs will stand. Anyone living in a wood frame house near the east coast is an idiot. Anyone in a concrete... correctly built concrete block w/ tie beam home, tile over concrete floors, steel studs,blue board type drywall without badass hurricane shutters is an asshole with more money than brains.
Anyone anywhere on the planet who has wallpaper or carpeting needs to be spayed/neutered.

With cat 5 concrete blocks will not do the job even with bars etc etc etc reinforcement. Actually it’s more dangerous because those blocks will bury you alive. I’ve seen it in Caribbean houses.

Most houses in Florida can survive a Cat 1 and 2 hurricane with little damage unless a tree falls on it or something. Unless it is new construction with enhanced features most houses would be damaged or destroyed at Cat 4 and 5.

maxresdefault.jpg

While I'm no builder........I learned as a kid simple methods from my father on how to frame walls who worked for my grandfather who built homes............it was craftsmanship.......which is lost to get it built fast mentality of building homes today to increase profits.........going minimum on code to lessen the costs of construction to increase profit........

Which is why some of us call the new homes matchstick houses.......for a only a few thousand more you can dramatically increase the strength of the home...........picking the right builder who does small things for craftsmanship builds you a better and stronger home........It is wise for anyone building a home to look who built it.........and how good they are at building them..........

One thing my father would get mad at me for when I was a kid building a barn was how I hammered a nail into a frame........He would get on to me for nailing the nail straight into the frame.........He stressed nailing the nails at a slight angle and would scold me if I nailed it in straight................Why................because a nail at an angle will stay in better than one nailed in straight.............simple methods to make your home stronger.

maxresdefault.jpg

While I'm no builder........I learned as a kid simple methods from my father on how to frame walls who worked for my grandfather who built homes............it was craftsmanship.......which is lost to get it built fast mentality of building homes today to increase profits.........going minimum on code to lessen the costs of construction to increase profit........

Which is why some of us call the new homes matchstick houses.......for a only a few thousand more you can dramatically increase the strength of the home...........picking the right builder who does small things for craftsmanship builds you a better and stronger home........It is wise for anyone building a home to look who built it.........and how good they are at building them..........

One thing my father would get mad at me for when I was a kid building a barn was how I hammered a nail into a frame........He would get on to me for nailing the nail straight into the frame.........He stressed nailing the nails at a slight angle and would scold me if I nailed it in straight................Why................because a nail at an angle will stay in better than one nailed in straight.............simple methods to make your home stronger.
If you look at the pictures, the newer buildings are standing. It’s all the older buildings that were blown away. Because we have regulations now. Regulations Republicans want to get rid of.

280 unaccounted for in Hurricane Michael as FEMA warns 'people do not live to tell the tale' of storm surges

500,000 were given mandatory orders to evacuate, over 300,000 stayed. 2 are dead, 280 missing. One man who stayed said several times after seeing terrible things, he wish he'd have evacuated.

"3 hours ago"
02_HurricaneMichaelPhotos.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.jpg

Prayers up.
Trumps too busy to worry about this. He has to listen to his praises from K. west in the oval office.

You Liberals are full of hate nowadays and it is quite disgusting and will be the reason you won't have your Blue wave in November that you were hoping for.

Trump has Federal aid and he is planning on visiting on Monday after the debris has cleared enough.

Stop doing your mindless TDS afflicted mental illness hating. It just makes you look like an asshole.

Most houses in Florida can survive a Cat 1 and 2 hurricane with little damage unless a tree falls on it or something. Unless it is new construction with enhanced features most houses would be damaged or destroyed at Cat 4 and 5.
That is because the code only requires that Zone requirement for building codes..............

Simple measures on building a home can increase the strength for only a little more..........Whether that be Simpson Strong tie added beyond minimum measures or adding more metal hurricane straps to the construction..........older builders would add simple triangle pieces of plywood and glue to strengthen joints..........simple but very strong.................It is the old methods of home construction that keeps them standing while newer homes have nothing left but a slab after the storm............time and time again I've seen new homes destroyed while an old home is still standing.........

It's simple to me on why...........the craftsmen of older homes was simply better at the trade and took time to add in a few old methods to building that made them rock solid homes.......

maxresdefault.jpg

If you look at the pictures, the newer buildings are standing. It’s all the older buildings that were blown away. Because we have regulations now. Regulations Republicans want to get rid of.
Baloney..............I've been through many storms and have seen the opposite.........those are MINIMUM guidelines............and the minimum guidelines are to a CAT 1 or 2 rating................

And most old homes that get destroyed are due to old materials that have termite damage and rot not repaired over time.

That is because the code only requires that Zone requirement for building codes..............

Simple measures on building a home can increase the strength for only a little more..........Whether that be Simpson Strong tie added beyond minimum measures or adding more metal hurricane straps to the construction..........older builders would add simple triangle pieces of plywood and glue to strengthen joints..........simple but very strong.................It is the old methods of home construction that keeps them standing while newer homes have nothing left but a slab after the storm............time and time again I've seen new homes destroyed while an old home is still standing.........

It's simple to me on why...........the craftsmen of older homes was simply better at the trade and took time to add in a few old methods to building that made them rock solid homes.......

I have been in a dozen hurricanes in my life here in Florida.

The worst one for me was Hurricane Donna in 1960. At that time we were living in a home built in the 1940s. It shook that night and it was scary but the house held together as the eye wall went over.

You are correct about older construction.

I have been in a dozen hurricanes in my life here in Florida.

The worst one for me was Hurricane Donna in 1960. At that time we were living in a home built in the 1940s. It shook that night and it was scary but the house held together as the eye wall went over.

You are correct about older construction.
L.A. here................Lower Alabama and I've been through many also..............rode all but one out at home...........

Craftsmanship of the older home was just simply better....they didn't have the fancy stuff we had today either........but they took simple steps to make a better home..............Today it's sling them together and make a buck ..........cutting corners everywhere they can...........and they get wiped out during the storm.........while the older ones hold firm........

Now on issues like engineered trusses.....those trusses are very strong.........pressed into place at 30000 pounds of pressure............but they underengineer the size of the faming and spacing sayings it because it's stronger.......going with a 2x4 frame in many cases on the roof which would be laughed at back in the day.............increasing it to 2 x 8's would double the strength.......just as going with closer centers would as well............but they do the smaller framing to safe money while still charging a arm and a leg for the trusses..........but since it makes code home owners who don't do their homework get a weaker roof.......

Knowledge to the home owners needs to be the key.............when they build a home...........and demanding simple measures to get a stronger home..........may cost a bit more..........but when a hurricane is coming to your house it is well worth the added costs.

In my last post I show why I believe older houses tend to hold up better and why match stick homes go by by.........It is my opinion that this alone is a major cause of houses being blown down.

Again.........going back to my dad........we did this with wood..........by cutting 45 degree pieces of wood and nailing them in between the stubs from the outer wall until we touched the foundation of the frame..nailed it into place.......just by cutting up a few 2 x 4's with a circular saw..............What it does is puts a strong back against the outer wall...making it push back against the sheer of the wind hitting the home..........

Isn't is a hoot and a half that the Moon Bats are bitching about hurricanes?

Back in the 1990s when Slick Willy was President and getting blowjobs from interns and raping women there were several devastating hurricanes hit the Carolinas.

Never hear a word out of the Moon Bats, did we?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back