280 People Missing in Michael

The only reason I'd evac is if I was in the storm surges path.
Any well built home can withstand a cat 4.
What are the advantages of staying with a Cat 4 approaching?

Even if your house survives, you are stranded
You can’t drive even if your car survived
No electricity, no clean water, no septic
If you or a loved one are injured......nobody can help you

There were many that were poor without cars without money, then there were several nursing homes they couldn't move until after the storm and they relocated to other parts of Florida and Alabama, then there were the ones who didn't know that Michael was going to intensify so fast and stay at that low pressure and wind speed, usually they lose a little steam before hitting land. Until you live down here don't make judgements.
Then there were those who were given multiple warnings and decided they were invincible

Before and after shots of Michael's devastation in Florida's panhandle, with thanks to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration:

Link: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
If you are in the demolished areas, go here to FEMA for guidelines to get help: Hurricane Michael | FEMA.gov

Before:​

mexico-beach-fl-before960.jpg

After:​

mexico-beach-fl-after960.jpg

So.....it’s just stuff
Take your valuables and let insurance handle any thefts

Why risk your life for “stuff”?

I've been through many a hurricane and never had a problem.
And as I've said,any well built house can withstand a cat 4.

And I have been through many hurricanes and no not every well built home will withstand a cat 4, this will also be upgraded in the future to a 5.

It's the surge that takes out the majority of homes,not wind.

I suggest you find pics of Panama City (not the beach) and all the way to Alabama border then tell me storm surge took these homes out.

I'd suggest you post them.

Hurricane Michael updates to 16, according to the NY Times. A very haunting video is here: Hurricane Michael Live Updates: 16 Deaths in a Vast Trail of Destruction
There are four videos there. On one of them, the Governor of Florida called the storm a monster. Bullseye.

From the page:
SPRINGFIELD, Fla. — Hurricane Michael’s death toll rose to 16 on Friday and was expected to climb higher as emergency workers searched rubble and the storm’s grim consequences stretched from the Florida Panhandle into Virginia. (see link for complete story)

• At a news conference Friday afternoon in Marianna, Fla., Sheriff Lou Roberts confirmed three storm-related deaths in Jackson County.

Storm surge took those houses right off their foundations, and now the ocean owns them.
A true sailor would know that. Thanks, ABikerSailor.

Comes from spending just over 12 years out on the ocean. I've seen many things out there, and understand the power that water has.

My very first deployment, there was someone on a cruiser in the battle group we were steaming with who wanted to see what heavy seas looked like. He went out on the main deck and a wave came over the side of the ship and crushed him against the bulkheads. They sent a helicopter over from our ship to pick him up (we had a full operation room), and he only lived for about 2 hours after he was slammed against the ship.

I've also been in the North Atlantic, up above the Arctic Circle in February, and the seas out there were rough enough to make a carrier do 10 degree rolls. A rogue wave hit the Ticonderoga while they were steaming with us and slicked the whole side of the ship, antennas, lifeboats, anything that wasn't solidly anchored to the ship went over the side. They had to turn around and go back to get repairs.

Also, during that cruise, the waves were so bad that they were actually breaking over the bow of the carrier AT THE FLIGHT DECK (90 ft. up), and froze a Prowler to the deck in 2 ft thick ice. That plane had to be craned off because it would no longer fly.

Yeah, sailors know the power of the ocean and have a healthy respect for it.

So.....it’s just stuff
Take your valuables and let insurance handle any thefts

Why risk your life for “stuff”?

I've been through many a hurricane and never had a problem.
And as I've said,any well built house can withstand a cat 4.

And I have been through many hurricanes and no not every well built home will withstand a cat 4, this will also be upgraded in the future to a 5.

It's the surge that takes out the majority of homes,not wind.

I suggest you find pics of Panama City (not the beach) and all the way to Alabama border then tell me storm surge took these homes out.

I'd suggest you post them.
I posted a link to the video of a plane flying over the region , but when I went back to the website to review it again, it didn't seem to be there. Last night was crazy trying to find video footage after dark, not to mention just pictures people took and put online were limited. I think we'd have had more, except people were swimming for their lives last night as we were probing for information on this terrible thing. It looks like 3 more were recovered after I found the toll at 16 dead at NYTimes. If anybody else has more, please post them for everyone to see. I have promises to keep, and needless to mention, I shortchanged Morpheus last night.

Bless all those who lost loved ones and those who are working diligently to restore the airbase that got clobbered by the blast, Fort Tyndall, I think.

Storm surge took those houses right off their foundations, and now the ocean owns them.

Hell,anyone who lives on the Gulf coast can tell ya that.
My Mothers condo on the banks of Galveston bay received a direct hit with an eight foot storm surge.
She got a little water damage when debris broke her windows but other than that it was fine.
It's really all about construction. They obviously need to be elevated but the main factor is concrete piers rather than wood.

My Mothers condo on the banks of Galveston bay received a direct hit with an eight foot storm surge.
She got a little water damage when debris broke her windows but other than that it was fine.
It's really all about construction. They obviously need to be elevated but the main factor is concrete piers rather than wood.
Was that during Hurricane Ike in or around 2008? (((shudder)))

I've experienced ten hurricanes and dozens of tropical storms since living on the Gulf Coast since 1970.
You're really only in danger if you're in the surge zone or live in a piece of shit house or a trailer.

Was that during Hurricane Ike in or around 2008? (((shudder)))

Yep...
The sad part was it was the trigger to her alzheimer's/dementia.
Didnt know it at the time but traumatic experiences can bring on the symptoms earlier than if there was no stress.
She was never the same afterwards.

I've lost count on how many hurricanes I've been through........I've rode all but one.........no matter the size.........but I don't live in a flood zone or at the beach. These storms do this to beach front all the time.........Frederick destroyed Daulphin Island and cut the Island in half.........Also took out the long bridge to the Island which took well over a year if not 2 years to replace.

Storm surge will wipe out everything in it's path. Katrina took 20 foot of water into Waveland....and wiped the place out. This happens every time. Michael hit at it's peak strength which made it very very strong. A well built home will survive the winds.........It is flying debris and trees falling that can alter that.

Is it coincidentail that these storms are more intense?
They are not really more intense.....Michael just hit at it's peak....most lose power via sheer before they hit.....some the timing is just right on the mark.........

Frederick was a Cat 3 in 79 and did similar damage.....They have been doing this forever ..but with the social media tech.....more people see what they do.........I have seen this kind of destruction before...and the Lion's share is at the beaches and Islands..........

These storms have been reshaping the land on this planet for a long time....but now people live there so the land is rebuilt ...including putting more sand back on the beach so it can be destroyed the next time a big one hits.

With 155 winds, that is basically a cat 5. A hurricane will tend to blow up in that soup known as the Gulf. Hurricane Charley in 2004 in less than 24 hours went from a cat 1 to a cat 4 and it hit Punta Gorda. Now, you can tap a keg and have a little party to a cat 1 hurricane. It will get a little scary. Power will go out, but nothing really to worry about. Unless, you are on the coast as high tide is rolling in.

However, you want NOTHING to do with a cat 5 or a cat 4. You want to get the hell out. Go where? Anywhere. That is where.

Those people that choose ride out? The only thing that I hope they do as a courtesy to others is have their ids on them at all times. That way, when they recover their bloated dead bodies, they can quickly identity who they are.

Now, watch this whole video of what a 4 will do, just in case you ever decided you wanted to chance it in that crap.

Last edited:
280 unaccounted for in Hurricane Michael as FEMA warns 'people do not live to tell the tale' of storm surges

500,000 were given mandatory orders to evacuate, over 300,000 stayed. 2 are dead, 280 missing. One man who stayed said several times after seeing terrible things, he wish he'd have evacuated.

"3 hours ago"
02_HurricaneMichaelPhotos.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.jpg

Prayers up.

There is a really disturbing "tough guy" culture among people who live in hurricane country. They brag about staying. They brag about how only the new folks are going to evacuate. I've seen it time and again.

That only works for you until it doesn't. It's like Russian roulette. If you do that with your children it's unconscionable.

Forum List

Back