22 LR for defense

Hyrcanus

Rookie
Jun 19, 2013
Can a 22LR rifle be used for defensive purposes?

what happens to someone who is shot dead center in the chest with a 22LR bullet?

99% of the time I carry a 22lr revolver.

TI940021UL_1.jpg

The ammo is cheap enough that I can practice to proficiency...it's fun to shoot...and it is as lethal as...and often MORE lethal than the larger calibers.

Fatalities-900x654.jpg

Last edited:
There's a formula that considers the velocity and the weight of the bullet to calculate what they call "stopping power" which means instantly terminating an assault but not necessarily causing death. The venerable .38 was determined to be too anemic to stop frenzied assaults by Morro warriors around the time of the Spanish American war and that's why the US went to the big heavy .45. .22 cal isn't even considered regarding the concept of "stopping power" but it beats throwing clothes pins.

Can a 22LR rifle be used for defensive purposes?

what happens to someone who is shot dead center in the chest with a 22LR bullet?

Just showing any gun to a would be attacker will usually be enough to end the attack.

If your goal is just to wound them a bit, the .22 if fine. Also if you are a small, weak, whimpy person, a small, weak, whimpy gun that fires this round is just what you might need.

.22's kill so many people in the US because they are so common. People are going to grab what they have nearby when attacked. And .22's are very common.

If you want a serious look at what this or that cartridge does to a human, look at this study:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

.22 rounds are not even listed because no intelligent person would risk their lives using them for self defense.

If your goal is just to wound them a bit, the .22 if fine. Also if you are a small, weak, whimpy person, a small, weak, whimpy gun that fires this round is just what you might need...

....22 rounds are not even listed because no intelligent person would risk their lives using them for self defense.

I see. So not only are you judging a man by the caliber of the bullet he uses, but you even insult his intelligence.

Sounds like someone has some confidence and self-esteem issues.

not really----incapacitation chart says it all

its easier to control the aim of a 22 LR

its easier to get off lots of rounds in a short time span, with a 22 LR
I don't need such a good aim with a Remington 870 tactical or Mossberg 500SP....And you don't need to get off a lot of rounds, loaded up with the right shot.

If your goal is just to wound them a bit, the .22 if fine. Also if you are a small, weak, whimpy person, a small, weak, whimpy gun that fires this round is just what you might need...

....22 rounds are not even listed because no intelligent person would risk their lives using them for self defense.

I see. So not only are you judging a man by the caliber of the bullet he uses, but you even insult his intelligence.

Sounds like someone has some confidence and self-esteem issues.

Well, maybe I was a bit too mean. One point is that is you are frail or disabled, a small .22 that dosen't kick much is going to be better than some giant wheelgun that is not only heavy to hold and aim, but has too much recoil. Never rely on something you're not comfortable with.

The other point is that some naive person may get the idea that a .22 will easily stop or kill someone coming at them. The .22 has killing power---even a prick from a thorn can cause someone to die of an infection later on---but has poor stopping power.

But what does every military, every police force on the planet use as their primary weapons? Not .22's. If .22's had any real effectiveness, at least one military or police organization would be using them.

...But what does every military, every police force on the planet use as their primary weapons? Not .22's. If .22's had any real effectiveness, at least one military or police organization would be using them.

22 LR doesn't have much force, but it will go straight through tissue and a hit to the heart, brain, and othe organs will lead to instant death.

...But what does every military, every police force on the planet use as their primary weapons? Not .22's. If .22's had any real effectiveness, at least one military or police organization would be using them.

22 LR doesn't have much force, but it will go straight through tissue and a hit to the heart, brain, and othe organs will lead to instant death.

Okay, okay---we all know it CAN do this, but why would you use a .22 for self defense?

Why, in your particular case, do you think your .22 (rifle?) would be the best choice?

Okay, okay---we all know it CAN do this, but why would you use a .22 for self defense?

Why, in your particular case, do you think your .22 (rifle?) would be the best choice?

Not directed at me...but I'll answer.

Which is more reliable, Semi-auto or Revolver? Revolver.

Which is safer to carry ready for action, Semi-auto or Revolver? Revolver.

How many rounds in a standard revolver...5? 6?

My Taurus gives me 9 before a reload.

The .22 LR has much better target reacquisition and time on target.

Plus, less muzzle flash means better visual re-acclamation to low light conditions.

I can practice more with it because the ammo is cheaper.

Plus, the revolver is MUCH easier to clean that a Semi-automatic.

It's smaller than a .38 or .357 and just as lethal.

I carry it more often because it is small and comfortable...and the gun you carry is worth more than the gun you left at home.

Any other questions?

Last edited:
[

Not directed at me...but I'll answer.

Which is more reliable, Semi-auto or Revolver? Revolver.

Which is safer to carry ready for action, Semi-auto or Revolver? Revolver.

How many rounds in a standard revolver...5? 6?

My Taurus gives me 9 before a reload.

The .22 LR has much better target reacquisition and time on target.

Plus, less muzzle flash means better visual re-acclamation to low light conditions.

I can practice more with it because the ammo is cheaper.

Plus, the revolver is MUCH easier to clean that a Semi-automatic.

It's smaller than a .38 or .357 and just as lethal.

I carry it more often because it is small and comfortable...and the gun you carry is worth more than the gun you left at home.

Any other questions?[/QUOTE]

I had a similar 9 shot revolver in .22 years ago, but would only use one as a last resort.

Besides me, there are others that would question the reliability issue.

After you've had your 9 shots, you'd have to call for a time out while you laborously reload each chamber---there aren't speed loaders for your gun---as far as I know.

Unless you hit your charging attacker in the "fatal T" in the head or nerve stem, a 300 lb raging bull on PCP could still pound you into the pavement before he bleeds out.

I have 4 different guns that shoot .22's-- and can shoot a bit faster with them---but still, I use a heavy Beretta 9mm much of time, and can hit almost as fast.

Most modern loads don't create huge fireballs in low light ---but that's not enough reason to use a .22.

I can clean a Glock faster than going thru each cylinder of a revolver.

Care to show any wound or trauma studies that tout the .22 over a .357?

That said, I do sometimes carry this in .380, because a whimpy gun is better than no gun:

$kel tec.png

While you can kill a person with a .22 LR bullet, I strongly recommend something with a bit more stopping power. You may only get one shot. Make it count. Think 38 caliber or above.

Forum List

Back