22 LR for defense

I had a similar 9 shot revolver in .22 years ago, but would only use one as a last resort.

Besides me, there are others that would question the reliability issue.

After you've had your 9 shots, you'd have to call for a time out while you laborously reload each chamber---there aren't speed loaders for your gun---as far as I know.

Unless you hit your charging attacker in the "fatal T" in the head or nerve stem, a 300 lb raging bull on PCP could still pound you into the pavement before he bleeds out.

I have 4 different guns that shoot .22's-- and can shoot a bit faster with them---but still, I use a heavy Beretta 9mm much of time, and can hit almost as fast.

Most modern loads don't create huge fireballs in low light ---but that's not enough reason to use a .22.

I can clean a Glock faster than going thru each cylinder of a revolver.

Care to show any wound or trauma studies that tout the .22 over a .357?

That said, I do sometimes carry this in .380, because a whimpy gun is better than no gun:

View attachment 26592

HKS makes a speedloader for the Taurus 9 round .22lr.

I have a Star BKM compact 9mm...I can clean the revolver in 1/3 the time.

I'm not opposed to carrying something bigger, like I said, I have a 9mm.

I just think the 22LR is passed over more on the basis of, for lack of a better word...machismo...than actual lack of suitability.

Link to research...An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

I posted the chart above.

I had a similar 9 shot revolver in .22 years ago, but would only use one as a last resort.

After you've had your 9 shots, you'd have to call for a time out while you laborously reload each chamber---there aren't speed loaders for your gun---as far as I know.

Unless you hit your charging attacker in the "fatal T" in the head or nerve stem, a 300 lb raging bull on PCP could still pound you into the pavement before he bleeds out.

I have 4 different guns that shoot .22's-- and can shoot a bit faster with them---but still, I use a heavy Beretta 9mm much of time, and can hit almost as fast.

Most modern loads don't create huge fireballs in low light ---but that's not enough reason to use a .22.

That said, I do sometimes carry this in .380, because a whimpy gun is better than no gun:

View attachment 26592

I just think the 22LR is passed over more on the basis of, for lack of a better word...machismo...than actual lack of suitability.

I've seen your study before. I don't think it is so relevant. One thing, on your .22 stats, it doesn't list rifles vs handguns as the weapons used. Almost all the other rounds were likely fired from handguns.

try this study:

9x19mm Luger

View attachment 26592

I've seen your study before. I don't think it is so relevant. One thing, on your .22 stats, it doesn't list rifles vs handguns as the weapons used. Almost all the other rounds were likely fired from handguns.

try this study:

9x19mm Luger

The .22LR is all pistol...rifles have their own category.

Ellifritz_OneShot_Percent.png

But I'll be happy to take a look at your study.

Can a 22LR rifle be used for defensive purposes?

what happens to someone who is shot dead center in the chest with a 22LR bullet?

Just showing any gun to a would be attacker will usually be enough to end the attack.

If your goal is just to wound them a bit, the .22 if fine. Also if you are a small, weak, whimpy person, a small, weak, whimpy gun that fires this round is just what you might need.

.22's kill so many people in the US because they are so common. People are going to grab what they have nearby when attacked. And .22's are very common.

If you want a serious look at what this or that cartridge does to a human, look at this study:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

.22 rounds are not even listed because no intelligent person would risk their lives using them for self defense.

Good point. What is the goal? Worst case scenario, the goal is to protect yourself from being murdered. In that case you need a bigger gun to stop the attacker in his tracks. The good things about a .22 (long rifle) is that the bullets are cheap so you can have a lot of practice, the gun is usually inexpensive relatively small and the recoil and noise is light and you can feel good about having a firearm when things go bump in the night.

A 22 LR is excellent for shooting metal squirrils off of metal stands at a rifle range. However, I would not use it on anything more dangerous than the AFHAC duck...

and 22lr ammo is getting expensive as hell.( and hard to get in a lot of places)

Everything is getting expensive. A brick of 500 rounds is around 49.00 on the internet. I expect it would be 1/3 less at a gun show. Rimfire ammunition can't be reloaded so you are forced to buy it commercially. Better stock up before the feds buy it all.

and 22lr ammo is getting expensive as hell.( and hard to get in a lot of places)

Everything is getting expensive. A brick of 500 rounds is around 49.00 on the internet. I expect it would be 1/3 less at a gun show. Rimfire ammunition can't be reloaded so you are forced to buy it commercially. Better stock up before the feds buy it all.

Fifty bucks?!?!

Good grief.

We bought it up after the last shortage at $12.50 for 550 rounds.

I bought the .17hmr last year, and so far I've been pretty lucky finding plenty of it at a reasonable price...$8 for 50 rounds in 17 and 20 grain..

Stretched out my squirrel hunting to 150-160 yards on a calm day.

Since the ammo shortage started, I've been buying 12 gauge...but even they are drying up now...no #4, #5 or #6's anymore...just 7.5 and 8's and OO buck.

Learned how to reload----not sure it saves me much but it's fun.

That's definitely on my list...I'm already saving my spent hulls.

read up on it and enjoy. There's a certain thrill to popping the first cap on one you loaded yourself. :eusa_dance:

Don't be intimidated--they make it sound harder than it really is ---I think so people will be ultra careful.

Learned how to reload----not sure it saves me much but it's fun.

That's definitely on my list...I'm already saving my spent hulls.

read up on it and enjoy. There's a certain thrill to popping the first cap on one you loaded yourself. :eusa_dance:

Don't be intimidated--they make it sound harder than it really is ---I think so people will be ultra careful.

Reloading ain't just about "popping a cap". Maybe shotgun reloading data isn't too critical but you better consider what kind of powder to load in what kind of center fire cartridge but you also need to calculate ....oh never mind.

I have an old H&R 922 in the tractor tool box. It's good for scaring off animals and maybe killing a rabid animal if he holds still long enough. You can get "snake loads " that might kill a rattle snake. Everybody in rural America knows you would never try to put down a large wounded animal with a .22. It just isn't reliable. Neither would you bet your life on a puny defense weapon like a .22 unless you had no other choice.

Can a 22LR rifle be used for defensive purposes?

what happens to someone who is shot dead center in the chest with a 22LR bullet?

Sure, it's better than nothing, but wouldn't be my choice.

I find a GAPING chest wound tends to deter most would be attackers.

Sure it can be used for defense but you better be a good shot and get off a sufficient number of rounds which hit critical areas. Why not try a Cal 22 Magnum pistol; it will surly slow down any offender.

There's a formula that considers the velocity and the weight of the bullet to calculate what they call "stopping power" which means instantly terminating an assault but not necessarily causing death. The venerable .38 was determined to be too anemic to stop frenzied assaults by Morro warriors around the time of the Spanish American war and that's why the US went to the big heavy .45. .22 cal isn't even considered regarding the concept of "stopping power" but it beats throwing clothes pins.

:lol:

My conceal-carry pistol is a 1974 HR 732SWL short-barrel revolver, 98grHP. If need be, I'd deliver a round to my target's pelvis area....hurts like a bitch and slows his approach to a crawl. No safety, transfer bar prevents a hammer fire, trigger-pull from hell, probably should be run as a single-action. So why would I carry this little bitch? :eusa_eh:

Because, it's easy to conceal, it's bigger than a .22 or .25, can't jam, and I have little need for a pistol in the first place. And I can knock a clothes pin off a line with it at 10 paces.....remarkably accurate round. And it's heavy-framed for a squirt so I'd think it would put a significant dent in a fella's skull if properly applied.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back