21 US cities restrict sharing food with homeless people

So I want to feed the homeless...

I go to the dollar store and buy one year expired peanut butter. I scrape the green stuff off the top
I get some moldy bread and scrape the mold off

I make sandwiches in my greasy kitchen and brush away the rat droppings on the counter

Who cares? They are homeless
They should be grateful for any food they receive

Has someone done this?

The poorest county in West Virginia

The racial makeup of the county was 92.18% White,

Again, I said most, not all. West Virginia has been a poor state for a long time due to economic issues and it isn't a "red" state. It's swing to Republicans in presidential races just began in 2000 and the Democrats still control the state government and have since the Great Depression.

Democratic politicians in the WV are typically more conservative than the national party, especially on social issues.

blue-states-vs-red-2012-elect.png

I go to the dollar store and buy one year expired peanut butter. I scrape the green stuff off the top

I make sandwiches in my greasy kitchen and brush away the rat droppings on the counter

Has someone done this?

I'm talking extremes of course but it shows why these laws are in place

There is no control over the quality of the food given to the homeless out of kindness. It may not be rat turds, but it may be food that has been left out too long.

Nanny statism is not new, nor is it confined to a single political party.

Nobody said it was

Um, you said it was a liberal thing.

I never said it was just a liberal thing. I asked why all of these bastions of liberalism would make criminals out of people who wish to help the poor and indigent the way liberals claim we should be doing. You are the ones who claim to the have the monopoly on caring about the poor and act holier than thou on the subject despite the fact there is zero truth to you caring about them at all other than their vote.

Has someone done this?

There is no control over the quality of the food given to the homeless out of kindness. It may not be rat turds, but it may be food that has been left out too long.

The same exact thing can happen at government monitored soup kitchens, food banks, etc. Malfeasance in government happens all the time. Look at the government run VA. There is no evidence whatsoever that someone setting up their own soup stand with soup they made from home or a restaurant donating extra food to a shelter is any more likely to be responsible for what you are claiming simply because there is no government watchdog hovering over their shoulder.

Has someone done this?

The same exact thing can happen at government monitored soup kitchens, food banks, etc. Malfeasance in government happens all the time. Look at the government run VA. There is no evidence whatsoever that someone setting up their own soup stand with soup they made from home or a restaurant donating extra food to a shelter is any more likely to be responsible for what you are claiming simply because there is no government watchdog hovering over their shoulder.

They have to meet the same standards as any other food preparer. Just because someone is homeless doesn't mean we should cut corners

And someone trying to save money on food for the homeless may be tempted to cut corners

Nanny statism is not new, nor is it confined to a single political party.

Nobody said it was

Um, you said it was a liberal thing.

I never said it was just a liberal thing. I asked why all of these bastions of liberalism would make criminals out of people who wish to help the poor and indigent the way liberals claim we should be doing. You are the ones who claim to the have the monopoly on caring about the poor and act holier than thou on the subject despite the fact there is zero truth to you caring about them at all other than their vote.

They are bastions of nanny statism...which is an affliction of liberals and conservatives alike.

Why are the hungriest states so red?

1. Mississippi 25.1 percent of people in Mississippi reported that there was at least one time in the past 12 months that they could not afford food, according to a 2013 Gallup report.

2. West Virginia (Tie) 23 percent of people in West Virginia reported that there was at least one time in the past 12 months that they could not afford food, according to a 2013 Gallup report.

3. Louisiana (Tie) 23 percent of people in Louisiana reported that there was at least one time in the past 12 months that they could not afford food, according to a 2013 Gallup report.

4. Alabama 22.9 percent of people in Alabama reported that there was at least one time in the past 12 months that they could not afford food, according to a 2013 Gallup report.

5. Arkansas 22.5 percent of people in Arkansas reported that there was at least one time in the past 12 months that they could not afford food, according to a 2013 Gallup report.

6. North Carolina 22.2 percent of people in North Carolina reported that there was at least one time in the past 12 months that they could not afford food, according to a 2013 Gallup report.

7. Kentucky 21.8 percent of people in Kentucky reported that there was at least one time in the past 12 months that they could not afford food, according to a 2013 Gallup report.

8. Georgia 21.5 percent of people in Georgia reported that there was at least one time in the past 12 months that they could not afford food, according to a 2013 Gallup report.

9. Oklahoma 21.2 percent of people in Oklahoma reported that there was at least one time in the past 12 months that they could not afford food, according to a 2013 Gallup report.

10. Arizona 21.1 percent of people in Arizona reported that there was at least one time in the past 12 months that it could not afford food, according to a 2013 Gallup report.

21 U.S. Cities Outlawed Feeding The Hungry Due To Myths About Homelessness Report

A lot of welfare in those states.

Forum List

Back