2014 World Cup Thread

one goal is enough, if the other team has higuain and palacio being totally afraid of neuer.

After reading that post I feel like I need some antibiotics.

that is very interesting.

Well, I can understand if a whole team has come down with hiquain and palacio (which sound highly virulent) then they wouldn't want to catch something like neuer, which is probably some variant strain of ebola.

Game was tight and there was a lot of nip and tuck, as expected. Argentina had only themselves to blame as the chances were clearly there. Messi just too much to do and it doesn't help when Higuain and Aguero are utter shit at this level. That cost Argentina their glory. They were excellent everywhere else. The quality was there in this game overall though, unlike the 1990 final so that was good to see. Goetze's goal was magnificent honestly. Deserved winner.

Germany worked very hard for this WC and that all started 12 years ago after their failure in the 2002 final. This current generation of players (Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Neuer, Klose etc) will be go down as legends now, if they haven't already. What's scary about Germany though is that they have at least 2 more generations coming that are just as good as this one. Keep doing what they're doing and we could looking at a good period of dominance from them.

Last edited:
I was at the Argentina v Germany World Cup final in 1986.

I was drunk during the Argentina v Germany World Cup final in 1990. I don't remember much of it. We watched it at a bar in the Algarve with a bunch of Germans.

I watched the Argentina v Germany World Cup final in 2014 in my comfy chair.

Game was tight and there was a lot of nip and tuck, as expected. Argentina had only themselves to blame as the chances were clearly there. Messi just too much to do and it doesn't help when Higuain and Aguero are utter shit at this level. That cost Argentina their glory. They were excellent everywhere else. The quality was there in this game overall though, unlike the 1990 final so that was good to see. Goetze's goal was magnificent honestly. Deserved winner.

Germany worked very hard for this WC and that all started 12 years ago after their failure in the 2002 final. This current generation of players (Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Neuer, Klose etc) will be go down as legends now, if they haven't already. What's scary about Germany though is that they have at least 2 more generations coming that are just as good as this one. Keep doing what they're doing and we could looking at a good period of dominance from them.

^ This

I have nothing to add

I <3 soccer, and have been watching it for most of my life. Even when I lived in the middle of nowhere, Canada.

One of the biggest changes has been that club football has passed the national teams in terms of quality. Silvio Berlusconi, the underage prostitute-using former President of Italy and owner of AC Milan, predicted back in the early 90s that this would happen one day. I thought he was nuts. Of course, he is. But he's right on that.

USA 2022 motherfuckers :mad:

Maybe.

FIFA, in all it's glorious corruptness, awarded the 2022 World Cup to a country the size of Connecticut, with the population of Columbus Ohio and 115F heat.

Try and imagine Columbus hosting the World Cup. In 115F heat.

Won't that be fun?

That sounds like the type of place where countries with teams full of pussies won't do very well.

The U.S. may not be very good at soccer... but you sure as hell can't call us a bunch of pussies :thup:

Great game! For sure the better team won.

This game involved a Pope versus Pope rivalry. Pope Benedict hails from Germany, and Pope Francis from Argentina. Both live at the Vatican, so there's a good chance that they were watching the game side by side. Would have been nice to see Pope Francis's reaction when Germany scored the goal with just minutes left in the game...:D

Argentina was a mediocre team that had a great chance to win it all; but they flubbed their chances. Honestly, Costa Rica, Ghana, USA, Belgium, Netherlands, Mexico, Colombia, Chile, etc were all probably better teams than Argentina in this tourney. It's good that Germany won. They were the best team.

Forum List

Back