2/3 say ditch individual health care mandate

Does the GOP agenda have any effect on a legal decision? No, I don't think so.
The Court will see this as an opportunity to scale back the Commerce Clause to its original intent. They will find the mandate unconstitutional but leave the rest of the legislation intact. A GOP administration and Congress will repeal the rest of it. Obama&Co have been rolling it back already for the last 2 years.
That's what happens when you pass a huge unworkable bill that was rushed through without any thought.

Courts don't make rulings in a vacuum and you're wildly out-of-touch if you really think the Court wants to roll economic regulation back to the Lochner era.

Courts dont make rulings based on any party's agenda. And you're insane if you think the Court will endorse more intrusive unlimited government. They have been pushing back on gov't control for years.

Nonsense. The Supreme Court is about as partisan as a governing body can get. Look at all the 5/4 decisions in the courts history. See how many don't fall along partisan political lines that parallel the partisan divides between Republican and Democrat.

No, there aren't many.

i challenge you to prove that health insurance is not interstate commerce. when you travel from state to state, does your health insurance not follow you? or do you have to purchase a different product for each state which you travel through?

who is saying it isnt interstae commerce.

It is.

What does that have to do with Government forcing you to buy something under penalty of law?

When has that ever happened before?

And to add....we now ALSO have government forcing a bhusiness owner to offer a service even if it doesnt want to.

When has THAT ever happened before?

What service are businesses being forced to offer?

Contraception without a co-pay. If you want to continue selling insurance, the government is saying YOU MUST offer something more....contraception.

You know, many insurance companies do not offer flood insurance.

I needed to buy it, so I was forced to drop my insurance company and go with another...they lost my business...that was their choice.....and it was my choice....

Should government force all insurance companies to offer flood? Why?

Should auto insuracne ALWAYS offer glass coverage? Some dont. That uis their choice. Others do, and thus why many opt for those companies...especially those that fdrive off road regularly and have pebbles kick up and crachk the windsheild.

Should government make them all offer glass? Why?

i challenge you to prove that health insurance is not interstate commerce. when you travel from state to state, does your health insurance not follow you? or do you have to purchase a different product for each state which you travel through?

Further, the idea that the Founding Fathers would be spinning in their graves over requiring people to buy a private good is funny... considering the Militia Act of 1792 did exactly that.

And the militia act was wrong for doing so, just like the affordable care act is wrong.....next strawman please.

That's fine if you feel that way as a moral objection, but it completely torpedoes the point that it goes against original intent.

How do you feel about the Ryan plan? What about private accounts for Social Security?

Private SS accounts?

I am 100% for it.

The government is forcing me to save money....I dont need them to force me to do it...I do it becuase it isd what I need to do.....I dont need daddy to do it for me.
I am an adult.

So the government forcing people to buy health insurance is unconstitutional, but forcing them to open a brokerage account at Fidelity isn't? What makes these two things different?

Correction....I am not saying that....albeit, it sure sounds like that.

I do not feel government should be involved in any way shape or form in what I save and how I save it.

who is saying it isnt interstae commerce.

It is.

What does that have to do with Government forcing you to buy something under penalty of law?

When has that ever happened before?

And to add....we now ALSO have government forcing a bhusiness owner to offer a service even if it doesnt want to.

When has THAT ever happened before?

Contraception without a co-pay. If you want to continue selling insurance, the government is saying YOU MUST offer something more....contraception.

I needed to buy it, so I was forced to drop my insurance company and go with another...they lost my business...that was their choice.....and it was my choice....

Should auto insuracne ALWAYS offer glass coverage? Some dont. That uis their choice. Others do, and thus why many opt for those companies...especially those that fdrive off road regularly and have pebbles kick up and crachk the windsheild.

Just to be clear, flood insurance is sold through insurance companies but it is a government insurance program. The people who sell the insurance are just a conduit between the people purchasing the insurance and the federal government. The conduit has no financial stake in the insurance beyond a fee for service.

No private sector insurance company with an actuarial whose education extends beyond middle school would offer flood insurance:)

Last edited:
Further, the idea that the Founding Fathers would be spinning in their graves over requiring people to buy a private good is funny... considering the Militia Act of 1792 did exactly that.

And the militia act was wrong for doing so, just like the affordable care act is wrong.....next strawman please.

That's fine if you feel that way as a moral objection, but it completely torpedoes the point that it goes against original intent.

How so, the militia act was in 1792, after the constitution...not part of it.

How do you feel about the Ryan plan? What about private accounts for Social Security?

Private SS accounts?

I am 100% for it.

The government is forcing me to save money....I dont need them to force me to do it...I do it becuase it isd what I need to do.....I dont need daddy to do it for me.
I am an adult.

So the government forcing people to buy health insurance is unconstitutional, but forcing them to open a brokerage account at Fidelity isn't? What makes these two things different?

They dont get that, or perhaps more precisely, they pretend they don't get that because it conflicts with their agenda.

The Medicare voucher plans forces seniors to buy private insurance with vouchers that come from all the mandatory payroll taxes they paid over the years.

btw, anyone with any sense should oppose any plan that lets either Wall St. or the insurance industry get their hands on any more of your money.

Private SS accounts?

I am 100% for it.

I am an adult.

I do not feel government should be involved in any way shape or form in what I save and how I save it.

So presumably you then oppose tax breaks for such things as IRA's, Medical Savings accounts, etc...

...because they are by definition government involvement in what or how you save.

So the Founding Fathers passed a bill they considered unconstitutional? We're not talking about a time far removed. We're talking under a decade after.

Just to be clear, flood insurance is sold through insurance companies but it is a government insurance program. The people who sell the insurance are just a conduit between the people purchasing the insurance and the federal government. The conduit has no financial stake in the insurance beyond a fee for service.

No private sector insurance company with an actuarial whose education extends beyond middle school would offer flood insurance:)

OK....but that doesnt change the prmise of my post.

But I have news for you.....that in itself likely means it is just a matter of time that insurance companies are FORCED to offer flood

And I am curious...

What is the story about dental insurance.....is that ALSO in the healthcare law? Are they eliminating pre -existing conditions clauses and forcing everyoine to buy it?

If no.....why not?

I need to believe there are mnore health related situations associated with the mouth than there are women who need BC pills for un-related medical conditions.

Not that it matters anyway, seeing as BC pills that are prescribed as something OTHER than contraception are ICD-9 coded as such and not coded as contraception

But that is for another thread.

Private SS accounts?

I am 100% for it.

I am an adult.

people do not choose to participate in the health care market, since every person will need health care at some point in their life. not by choice, but by necessity.

you dont choose to have a stroke, you dont choose to have a heart attack, you dont choose to get in a car accident, you dont choose to get cancer, you dont choose be born with a disability, you dont choose to have a genetic defect.

"Congress had a rational basis for concluding that the minimum coverage provision is essential to the Affordable Care Act's larger reforms to the national markets in health care delivery and health insurance," he said. "The provision regulates active participation in the health care market, and in any case, the Constitution imposes no categorical bar on regulating inactivity."
Judge James Graham -- a Reagan appointee -- agreed

show me where everyone will participate in the financial markets? show me any other service that people will use without choice.

So presumably you then oppose tax breaks for such things as IRA's, Medical Savings accounts, etc...

...because they are by definition government involvement in what or how you save.

yes...I am 100% against those tax breaks.

I do not need an insentive to save money for my future.

So the Founding Fathers passed a bill they considered unconstitutional? We're not talking about a time far removed. We're talking under a decade after.

In the historical context I understand why they passed the act. However, the constition gave them no authority to pass such an act requiring people to buy guns.

Do you think that act would pass the supreme court today?

We were in a time of war then and they used that, just like Bush and CO used the war on terror to pass the patriot act (unconstitutional), to pass something that otherwise would not be allowed.

OK....but that doesnt change the prmise of my post.

But I have news for you.....that in itself likely means it is just a matter of time that insurance companies are FORCED to offer flood

No, I don't think so. The government is well aware that companies can not offer flood insurance. That's why the government steps in, subsidizes the shit out of it and provides it.

And I am curious...

What is the story about dental insurance.....is that ALSO in the healthcare law? Are they eliminating pre -existing conditions clauses and forcing everyoine to buy it?

If no.....why not?[/quote]
From what I understand, dental is not included in the mandate. Like flood insurance, comprehensive dental insurance is a sure loser for companies.

exactly...Imagine if government forced them to?

Indeed! and when faced with the need to insure hundreds of thousands of previously-existing homes in flood plains, the government didn't force companies to offer flood insurance. Instead, they saw flood insurance as a public good and offered it through the government with the government assuming the risk.

Indeed! and when faced with the need to insure hundreds of thousands of previously-existing homes in flood plains, the government didn't force companies to offer flood insurance. Instead, they saw flood insurance as a public good and offered it through the government with the government assuming the risk.
based on your post, this is a great argument for a government run single payer health insurance program...

In the historical context I understand why they passed the act. However, the constition gave them no authority to pass such an act requiring people to buy guns.

We were in a time of war then and they used that, just like Bush and CO used the war on terror to pass the patriot act (unconstitutional), to pass something that otherwise would not be allowed.
but why would the founding father pass any law if they didnt believe the constitution gave them the authority to do precisely that?

What do you mean the Govt assumed the risk??

You idiot. We the taxpayers have rebuilt homes for folks living on flood plains, beaches and loads of other places where they never should have built homes. Some of em more than once.

Good deal for the fucking home owner but not so good for the taxpayers footing the bills.

but why would the founding father pass any law if they didnt believe the constitution gave them the authority to do precisely that?

You completely ran away from Madison on another thread. Why are you asking this question when that answer was provided to you ?

Forum List

Back