1st Amendment under fire at student newspaper

One can't help but wonder how the administration would have reacted had the newspaper endorsed Trump. I doubt they would have been as supportive.

One can't help but wonder how the altRight would have reacted had the newspaper endorsed Trump. I doubt they would have said a word.

Nope, I'm alt-right and would have cheered them on. But they chose Clinton, so they should be punished.

One can't help but wonder how the administration would have reacted had the newspaper endorsed Trump. I doubt they would have been as supportive.
It would have been difficult, but if the kids could have presented such a well defended position for Trump based on facts, I would hope the administration would have printed it. Teachers don't tell kids WHAT to think, just HOW.

That's just wishful thinking, teachers do the opposite.

One can't help but wonder how the altRight would have reacted had the newspaper endorsed Trump. I doubt they would have said a word.

Nope, I'm alt-right and would have cheered them on. But they chose Clinton, so they should be punished.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step. Good for you.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step. Good for you.

Don't worry, we will make America great again for you too!

Thom Hartmann (RT commentator) once conducted a man-on-the-street survey in Seattle in which he demonstrated that while out of ten ordinary Americans who defend the First Amendment, seven would tolerate censorship of topics which opposed their most controversial beliefs and opinions. Those seven did not believe their support of censorship violated the First Amendment.

With specific reference to every conventional print or digital medium I can think of, from the New York Times to this forum, use of the word, n!gger, is brazenly and routinely censored. In spoken media, use of the aggravatingly stupid and cringingly accommodating phrase, "n-word," is used in place of n!igger, even when the word is used academically (as in this comment), not insultingly, or as innocently as when quoting Mark Twain. And I will wager a pension check those who instinctively comply with self-censoring refusal to use that word will insist they support the First Amendment.

"The American Negro will not be truly free until the word, "n!gger," no longer troubles him. Because the striking of chains and the death of Jim Crow does not free the mind." (James Baldwin, speaking at Columbia University, September, 1974.)

Last edited:
The Trump supporters should petition the school for counseling and safe spaces. Wasn't that the "proper" reaction when the snowflakes found "Trump" written on the sidewalk?
what are you blathering about?

pity, too... you have a great screen name... too bad the person behind it is a trumpster loon

While it doesn't particularly surprise me that you can't recognize a joke (you shills are overly serious and grumpy,) it does surprise me that you apparently missed the HUGE media shit-storm of "safe spaces" on school campuses back in April. - When Donald Trump Graffiti Threatens Your 'Safe Space'

I'm actually usually an independent, but this election? ~toot toot~ I am a Trumpeter, and proud of it. I'm one of those wealthy people that despises corruption and crime in the government. Considering this is now twice that a Clinton has "bent" the rules in their favor whilst our military troops were being court marshaled for the same shit, it is blatantly apparent to me that the Clinton's have /way/ more power than they should. -- And yes, it is personal; my husband was court marshaled by the ARMY for adultery while Clinton was in the WH with cigars and 19 year old interns. The divide between laws for government oligarchy and the "free" people are unacceptable to my sense of fairness. I wouldn't vote for Hillary if someone put a gun to my head at the voting booth.

The Trump supporters should petition the school for counseling and safe spaces. Wasn't that the "proper" reaction when the snowflakes found "Trump" written on the sidewalk?
what are you blathering about?

pity, too... you have a great screen name... too bad the person behind it is a trumpster loon

While it doesn't particularly surprise me that you can't recognize a joke (you shills are overly serious and grumpy,) it does surprise me that you apparently missed the HUGE media shit-storm of "safe spaces" on school campuses back in April. - When Donald Trump Graffiti Threatens Your 'Safe Space'

I'm actually usually an independent, but this election? ~toot toot~ I am a Trumpeter, and proud of it. I'm one of those wealthy people that despises corruption and crime in the government. Considering this is now twice that a Clinton has "bent" the rules in their favor whilst our military troops were being court marshaled for the same shit, it is blatantly apparent to me that the Clinton's have /way/ more power than they should. -- And yes, it is personal; my husband was court marshaled by the ARMY for adultery while Clinton was in the WH with cigars and 19 year old interns. The divide between laws for government oligarchy and the "free" people are unacceptable to my sense of fairness. I wouldn't vote for Hillary if someone put a gun to my head at the voting booth.

there was a joke there?

okie dokie

Thom Hartmann (RT commentator) once conducted a man-on-the-street survey in Seattle in which he demonstrated that while out of ten ordinary Americans who defend the First Amendment, seven would tolerate censorship of topics which opposed their most controversial beliefs and opinions. Those seven did not believe their support of censorship violated the First Amendment.

With specific reference to every conventional print or digital medium I can think of, from the New York Times to this forum, use of the word, n!gger, is brazenly and routinely censored. In spoken media, use of the aggravatingly stupid and cringingly accommodating phrase, "n-word," is used in place of n!igger, even when the word is used academically (as in this comment), not insultingly, or as innocently as when quoting Mark Twain. And I will wager a pension check those who instinctively comply with self-censoring refusal to use that word will insist they support the First Amendment.

"The American Negro will not be truly free until the word, "n!gger," no longer troubles him. Because the striking of chains and the death of Jim Crow does not free the mind." (James Baldwin, speaking at Columbia University, September, 1974.)

Ah but your example is not censorship of an idea -- it's a self-regulation, however justified or not, of a term determined to be in bad taste. As is the word fuck. Or in other words it's Bowdlerizing. That really doesn't relate to the First Amendment if the offensive term is substituted with a known substitute.

Trump to announce in the debate today "high school students are rigging the election, along with the press, women, mexicans, all non-kristians, Democrats, Paul Ryan, John McCain and his 'basket of captured losers', non-gropers, video camera operators, and whoever I haven't mentioned on Earth that is breathing." "And, who knows, a tremendous amount of aliens, many many aliens, we don't know but a tremendous amount."

I'm telling you, it will be so good to reach Nov 9th and not have to hear this pustule whine any more.

The Democrats are engaging in violence at Trump rallies, have firebombed GOP headquarters in North Carolina, and are engaging in widespread voter fraud to steal the election. Now you whine about this? Please, I can't spare pity for you.

The Democrats are engaging in violence at Trump rallies, have firebombed GOP headquarters in North Carolina, and are engaging in widespread voter fraud to steal the election.

Links?

No? Nothing?

What a "pity". :itsok:

Yanno some day some lab will invent a 3D printer that connects right to the brain and you can transmogrify these paranoid delusional myths into something like a real thing.

I'm thinkin' Elon Musk and Bill Gates are working on it right now.

Trump to announce in the debate today "high school students are rigging the election, along with the press, women, mexicans, all non-kristians, Democrats, Paul Ryan, John McCain and his 'basket of captured losers', non-gropers, video camera operators, and whoever I haven't mentioned on Earth that is breathing." "And, who knows, a tremendous amount of aliens, many many aliens, we don't know but a tremendous amount."

I'm telling you, it will be so good to reach Nov 9th and not have to hear this pustule whine any more.

"And also my mic is broken. O'bama and Hillary took my mic, took it to Kenya and broke it, and now it's broken".

Snort.

The Democrats are engaging in violence at Trump rallies, have firebombed GOP headquarters in North Carolina, and are engaging in widespread voter fraud to steal the election.

Links?

No? Nothing?

Yanno some day some lab will invent a 3D printer that connects right to the brain and you can transmogrify these paranoid delusional myths into something like a real thing.

You are prematurely ejaculating. The only reason I didn't provide links is that these stories are so widely known that I felt links were unnecessary. Apparently, you don't keep up with the news.

BUSTED! Undercover video shows Democrat operatives admitting they incited violence at Trump rallies

Local GOP office in North Carolina firebombed - CNNPolitics.com

BOMBSHELL! Rigged election? Democrat operative admits MASSIVE voter fraud

Ah but your example is not censorship of an idea -- it's a self-regulation,
My example is censorship of a word, not an idea. "Self-regulation" in this particular example is nothing but patronizing accommodation.

Whether or not a given word is considered to be in "bad taste" is a matter of individual judgment. If thine eye offends thee . . .

The word fuck is sometimes appropriate and sometimes not, depending on context and purpose. "Self-regulation" is voluntary constraint. Censorship is imposed constraint.

If you don't like something I've said, either respond to it or ignore it.

Ah but your example is not censorship of an idea -- it's a self-regulation,
My example is censorship of a word, not an idea. "Self-regulation" in this particular example is nothing but patronizing accommodation.

Whether or not a given word is considered to be in "bad taste" is a matter of individual judgment. If thine eye offends thee . . .

The word fuck is sometimes appropriate and sometimes not, depending on context and purpose. "Self-regulation" is voluntary constraint. Censorship is imposed constraint.

If you don't like something I've said, either respond to it or ignore it.

I agree with the entire sentiment. There's no point of contention on that, the entire fake-morality bullshit is silly and stupid.

But I don't agree that it's what the First Amendment is about. That's about ideas. You can express the same idea in all sorts of different terms without changing the idea.

The instant case -- prime example. Nobody had a problem with how the editorial was worded; all the flak was for its conclusion. Had the same conclusion been worded differently, the flak would have been identical.

Links?

No? Nothing?

You are prematurely ejaculating. The only reason I didn't provide links is that these stories are so widely known that I felt links were unnecessary. Apparently, you don't keep up with the news.

BUSTED! Undercover video shows Democrat operatives admitting they incited violence at Trump rallies

Exactly. I knew all you had was Composition Fallacies and in the case of the bombing pure speculation based on your own ipse dixit. That's why I set you up. I didn't expect you'd be gullible enough to take the bait but there you are.

:dig:

Links?

No? Nothing?

Exactly. I knew all you had was Composition Fallacies and in the case of the bombing pure speculation based on your own ipse dixit. That's why I set you up. I didn't expect you'd be gullible enough to take the bait but there you are.

:dig:
You ASKED for links and I GAVE you links. I have no idea what you are talking about me taking "bait." Are you saying you weren't sincere when you asked for links?

Forum List

Back