100% Street Legal Nova(sleeper) REALLY Gets With The Program!

'Street legal' where? And what has to be taken off and what has to be put back on after the racing?
I am reasonably sure that the slicks would need to be changed out unless they are drag/street radials to be legal for street use. The nova is now considered a 'vintage' vehicle so would not have to be emissions compliant regarding current emissions standards. That little 5.3 liter engine has been equipped with dual turbos so as long as the engine is healthy(obviously it is!) those dual turbos will boost that little 5.3's volumetric efficiency to well over 100% plus!

Cleetus McFarland's El Camino is also street legal and it's faster way than the Nova.
It runs in the 6's. Of course they have to change the tires. It also has dual fuel rails so he can run pump gas rather than ethanol which isn't great for the car over long hauls.
The last photo is from I believe Rocky Mountain race week where you have to drive the car to each event sometimes hundreds of mile away.

video-watch-cleetus-mcfarland-rip-off-career-bests-in-mullet-2022-10-13_00-42-51_543670-930x540.jpg

cleetus-jpg.751589

Turbos look to be 100mm+ They don't seem to have a problem spooling up quickly! @ 3550# overall weight that Camino comes out hot straight & true!!! I quickly noticed on launch that the Camino lifts about 4"(watching the bottom of the front & rear wheel wells lift in relationship to the tops of the wheels rims). He's engineered the suspension to keep both nose lift minimal & level to the Camino's lift @ the back of the rig. This reduces the volume of static high pressure atmosphere under the Camino which will naturally lift any rig due to the high velocity & low atmospheric pressure sailing over the top of a vehicle. Safe bet is the rear suspension is 4 link with coil over shocks, & he's found the sweet spot for the 4 link adjustment which would be dead center of the Caminos overall weight front to back. If I was building another rig I'd sure like to have this guy doing my suspension!!! Yeah, that Nova would have been duck soup for this Camino! What size engine is in this Camino????

Turbos look to be 100mm+ They don't seem to have a problem spooling up quickly! @ 3550# overall weight that Camino comes out hot straight & true!!! I quickly noticed on launch that the Camino lifts about 4"(watching the bottom of the front & rear wheel wells lift in relationship to the tops of the wheels rims). He's engineered the suspension to keep both nose lift minimal & level to the Camino's lift @ the back of the rig. This reduces the volume of static high pressure atmosphere under the Camino which will naturally lift any rig due to the high velocity & low atmospheric pressure sailing over the top of a vehicle. Safe bet is the rear suspension is 4 link with coil over shocks, & he's found the sweet spot for the 4 link adjustment which would be dead center of the Caminos overall weight front to back. If I was building another rig I'd sure like to have this guy doing my suspension!!! Yeah, that Nova would have been duck soup for this Camino! What size engine is in this Camino????

It's a big block built by Steve Morris.
The car itself was built by Kevin over at KSR Performance.
Believe it or not the camino was slated to be a jet car but after a friend of theirs Jessi Combs died in a jet car accident they decided it just wasn't worth the risk and Mullet was born.
It was originally an LS powered car but Cleetus said fuck it and went all out with the big block.
And yeah they have it running good now but right after the switch to the big block it was doing wheel stands.
KSR did one hell of a job building the car,it has sensors all over the chassis reading wheel speed,suspension travel and everything else you can imagine.
I've been watching his channel for years and watched him go from a wrecked Vett ,named Leroy, with no body panels to where he is now.
He bought his own circle track right next door to Bradenton motor Speedway and it's been crazy from there on out.
He originally started working for 1320 and quit med school to pursue racing.

Highly recommend checking out his sight.

It's a big block built by Steve Morris.
The car itself was built by Kevin over at KSR Performance.
Believe it or not the camino was slated to be a jet car but after a friend of theirs Jessi Combs died in a jet car accident they decided it just wasn't worth the risk and Mullet was born.
It was originally an LS powered car but Cleetus said fuck it and went all out with the big block.
And yeah they have it running good now but right after the switch to the big block it was doing wheel stands.
KSR did one hell of a job building the car,it has sensors all over the chassis reading wheel speed,suspension travel and everything else you can imagine.
I've been watching his channel for years and watched him go from a wrecked Vett ,named Leroy, with no body panels to where he is now.
He bought his own circle track right next door to Bradenton motor Speedway and it's been crazy from there on out.
He originally started working for 1320 and quit med school to pursue racing.

Highly recommend checking out his sight.

@ a 6.543 E.T. I figured that the Camino was powered by a BBC(smart move). Taking a guess I'd say 500-540c.i., 4-1/4 stroke to keep piston speed down & also keep a strong rod journal to main journal connection. I hear you on the jet powered rigs like we have lost a LOT of us battling the lights on the 1320. We have among the best active & also online community on the planet with our brotherhood of fellow hotrodders, performance enthusiasts & machinists like good Joes for sure! That perpetual 'earthquake' with open headers & hard launches is as addictive as any chemical drug known to man like one can check out anytime they want but they can never, never leave.

Speaking of wheelies I don't see any wheelie bars like no leaf spring or even coil over post wheelie bars(am I missing something)??? Does the tranny in the Camino provide slippage(?) of some kind to control wheelies??? I've watched the launch a dozen times or more & the slicks do not appear to be losing traction @ all. I'm old school so my experience with tranny's is limited to Muncie's/top loaders, TH400's & Mopar clutchflite.

What year corvette did he campaign??? Back in the early/mid 70's we fielded a '62 corvette/BBC for B/G but met with minimal success due to money shortages & other assorted issues. I will be checking out his site for sure. Thanks much for the link!

@ a 6.543 E.T. I figured that the Camino was powered by a BBC(smart move). Taking a guess I'd say 500-540c.i., 4-1/4 stroke to keep piston speed down & also keep a strong rod journal to main journal connection. I hear you on the jet powered rigs like we have lost a LOT of us battling the lights on the 1320. We have among the best active & also online community on the planet with our brotherhood of fellow hotrodders, performance enthusiasts & machinists like good Joes for sure! That perpetual 'earthquake' with open headers & hard launches is as addictive as any chemical drug known to man like one can check out anytime they want but they can never, never leave.

Speaking of wheelies I don't see any wheelie bars like no leaf spring or even coil over post wheelie bars(am I missing something)??? Does the tranny in the Camino provide slippage(?) of some kind to control wheelies??? I've watched the launch a dozen times or more & the slicks do not appear to be losing traction @ all. I'm old school so my experience with tranny's is limited to Muncie's/top loaders, TH400's & Mopar clutchflite.

What year corvette did he campaign??? Back in the early/mid 70's we fielded a '62 corvette/BBC for B/G but met with minimal success due to money shortages & other assorted issues. I will be checking out his site for sure. Thanks much for the link!

He keeps the tires from spinning by tuning the turbo output for each gear.
Cant remember what transmission he using off the top of my head.
He just rebuilt Leroy,he removed the whole rear end and went with a four link, which enabled him to get rid of the rear corvette transmission and go with the standard location.
He held the fastest stick Corvette record for a long time in Leroy but it has since been beaten which is why he rebuilt Leroy recently.

Cleetus McFarland's El Camino is also street legal and it's faster way than the Nova.
It runs in the 6's. Of course they have to change the tires. It also has dual fuel rails so he can run pump gas rather than ethanol which isn't great for the car over long hauls.
The last photo is from I believe Rocky Mountain race week where you have to drive the car to each event sometimes hundreds of mile away.

video-watch-cleetus-mcfarland-rip-off-career-bests-in-mullet-2022-10-13_00-42-51_543670-930x540.jpg

cleetus-jpg.751589

That was fast.

cleetus-jpg.751589

Aside from the awesome ride, can we stop and fully just appreciate this dude's handle? 'Cleetus McFarland' is epic Not many can pull that kind of handle off. He definitely wears that stuff. :113:

Aside from the awesome ride, can we stop and fully just appreciate this dude's handle? 'Cleetus McFarland' is epic Not many can pull that kind of handle off. He definitely wears that stuff. :113:

Of course thats not his real name but yeah he wears it well.
It's pretty obvious he's playing with a car named Leroy and another called Mullet.
His real name is Garrett Mitchell.
It's been a great ride watching him and his buddies "Jack Stand Jimmy" and "Dr Tune em all" and several others make their way to where they are today.
It's funny as well as serious at times.
It's flat out amazing how far he's come since he started the channel.
He's making multi millions off his channel as well as off the race track he bought.
Basically living a gear heads dream.

Of course thats not his real name but yeah he wears it well.
It's pretty obvious he's playing with a car named Leroy and another called Mullet.
His real name is Garrett Mitchell.
It's been a great ride watching him and his buddies "Jack Stand Jimmy" and "Dr Tune em all" and several others make their way to where they are today.
It's funny as well as serious at times.
It's flat out amazing how far he's come since he started the channel.
He's making multi millions off his channel as well as off the race track he bought.
Basically living a gear heads dream.
Good on him. :113:

I'll admit,I'm jealous as all get out.
I'll second your admission! Garrett obviously possesses an EXCELLENT business mind to match both his driving/engineering skills. Every time I see one of us breakout & hit the big time I get elated! As much as I appreciate the machinery that our fellow hotrodders, performance enthusiasts & machinists put together I appreciate the company of those 'gents' just as much. I feel more @ home in a machine shop with my fellow enthusiasts than I do in a conventional home. I got introduced to h/p & torque & the men who build that h/p & torque in '67 @ a place called Woodburn dragstrip(fast strip/low altitude). H/p & Torque was one of two mental addictions I picked up almost simultaneously back then, neither of which I was ever able to shake off, in fact I obsess over them more than ever the older I become.

"Old drag racers never die they just fade away."

Forum List

Back