"Purple" 1972 Winchester Model 94 .30-30

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up a 1972 Model 94 .30-30 today and the receiver is going purple.

Wood Rectangle Font Tree Brick

Bumper Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior Gas Bicycle part

Wood Shotgun Trigger Tints and shades Gun accessory

I figured someone hot blued it and it turned on them but when I got it home and looked it over and judging from the bolt face and bore I don't think the rifle had been fired much at all.

Granted the rifle is 51 years old but I don't know if would it turned purple like that on it own accord or not

I swear it shows no evidence of a refinish, either that or someone was very good.

Either way the price was right ($400.00) and I find it sorta attractive in a unusual way. ;)

I figured someone hot blued it and it turned on them but when I got it home and looked it over and judging from the bolt face and bore I don't think the rifle had been fired much at all.

Granted the rifle is 51 years old but I don't know if would it turned purple like that on it own accord or not

I swear it shows no evidence of a refinish, either that or someone was very good.

Either way the price was right ($400.00) and I find it sorta attractive in a unusual way. ;)
That bluing sure is in nice shape. I've seen newer guns that don't look that good.

Looks very deep, too. Hmm..

That bluing sure is in nice shape. I've seen newer guns that don't look that good.
I posted of it on a "expert" forum so it will be interesting to see what they have to say about it.

But yeah, I know the other parts were not messed with as everything is sharp and the wood is as it should be.

I found a pic of a NIB '72 M-94 and while I did not see any purple the stock/metal finish was the same.

I posted of it on a "expert" forum so it will be interesting to see what they have to say about it.

But yeah, I know the other parts were not messed with as everything is sharp and the wood is as it should be.

I found a pic of a NIB '72 M-94 and while I did not see any purple the stock/metal finish was the same.
I'm certainly no expert, I know a little about the older ones and I'd want a Marlin and that's it!

That's similar to the one my brother gave me when I was 15. 30-30 Winchester....but I didn't know which year it was. (probably late 60s or early 70s)
That was my first gun.

I bought a Henry 30-30 a couple of months ago out of nostalgia.
The guy at the gun shop said I had bought a Unicorn.
It's a nice one.

H009G_Hero.jpg

Last edited:
That's similar to the one my brother gave me when I was 15. 30-30 Wincheser....but I didn't know which year it was. (probably late 60s or early 70s)
That was my first gun.

I bought a Henry 30-30 a couple of months ago out of nostalgia.
The guy at the gun shop said I had bought a Unicorn.
It's a nice one.

View attachment 810937
Do you fill that from the tube or the breech?

Do you fill that from the tube or the breech?
Side Gate.
Both of them were side gate loaders, but the Henry 30-30 can feed from both the side gate and the tube.
I also have a .45Long Colt Henry that feeds only from the tube.
Breech loaders are like a Sharps 45-70 single shot.

Last edited:
Well it seems that the "mystery metal" sintered steel receivers would turn various hues of purple with age if they were not handled very much, usually the finish just wears off with use before that happens.

Sintered steel receivers were plated then a blue like finish applied over the plating.....It seems that if the plating had a high nickel content the purple hue would appear by and by.

Forum List

Back