19 of 21 legal experts say healthcare should stand

If I read the article right, the way the "scholars" came down on the issue looks like this:

Leave the entire bill intact: 4.8%
Kill the entire bill: no data without provisions

Kill the insurance provision mandating public involvement: 23.8%

If insurance provisions ARE killed,
Kill entire bill: 14.2%
Won't kill the entire bill: 71.4%

Throw out related insurance provisions: 42.8%
Keep related provisions: 23.8%

Damage SCOTUS credibility: 85.7%

You can draw your own conclusions here - but this is pretty much conflicting non-data to me. Someone needs to refine their polling strategies so they're consistent.

Hugely wrong. Individual mandate is going to be struck down. THAT is the engine that makes ObamaCare tick...

You cannot FORCE commerce of any sort and then regualte it. Where will it end? IF it is upheld? Where does it end? Government may make you purchase ANYTHING they like with impunity.

The DEATH of Liberty.

when scotus tells the American people they are on their own again in healthcare the American people are going to hate the scotus.

Some will. Some we'll revere them. I'll be thrilled if they reaffirm that the commerce clause isn't an unlimited grant of power after all.

Obama Health Law Seen Valid, Scholars Expect Rejection - Bloomberg

The U.S. Supreme Court should uphold a law requiring most Americans to have health insurance if the justices follow legal precedent, according to 19 of 21 constitutional law professors who ventured an opinion on the most-anticipated ruling in years.

Only eight of them predicted the court would do so.

On what grounds should the mandate stand?
because liberals and free loaders say so.

If it doesn't get upheld, who pays for the treatment of the uninsured? It's not like ambulances and ERs are going to refuse service, are they?

Most hospitals are required by law to offer "charity care"...
Financial Assistance Program
Carolinas HealthCare's charitable spending is above average, but so are its profits | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

And who pays for the charity care? Someone always pays...............

From your link:

Carolinas HealthCare hospitals in its three core counties get tax exemptions worth more than $100 million a year, the Observer estimated. The system owns more than $1 billion in tax-exempt property, pays no corporate income taxes and got sales tax rebates of about $40 million in 2011.

Read more here: Carolinas HealthCare's charitable spending is above average, but so are its profits | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Ooooops............we're starting to see the beginnings of mental meltdowns in the k00ks on here. And I have to say........Im laughing.

Watching the k00ks get slaughtered up in Wisconsin was epic. At the time, I called it an appetizer before November. Really though, it was soup time. Tomorrow is the appetizer for the main course in November when all this liberal crap is mothballed for a couple of generations.

burgerking-7.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Well Whitman is a lib I imagine most all are, still I'd like to say I disagree there is no precedent for telling all Americans they MUST purchase something.

What must we purchase?

A health insurance policy from the federal government.
That is not what the mandate states. However, it ends up that way.
Because the mandate also includes a fine for employers ( 8% of the gross earnings of each individual employee) many employers will simply cancel their insurance coverage to their employees. Typically it is more less expensive to pay the fine than it is to insure the employee.
So most of us will have to buy from the government( socialized medicine essentially).
The goal has always been universal care. Obama care is a path to that end.

The U.S. Supreme Court should uphold a law requiring most Americans to have health insurance if the justices follow legal precedent, according to 19 of 21 constitutional law professors who ventured an opinion on the most-anticipated ruling in years.

19 say SCOTUS SHOULD
8 think SCOTUS WILL

11 must know that they have their own heads up their own asses.

Liberal scholars think they are more correct than SCOTUS can be.

Imagine that!

as opposed to the pretend constitutionalists on this board?

just wondering

Obama posts to this board ?

Scary.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/08/u...me-court-in-new-poll.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Approval Rating for Justices Hits Just 44% in New Poll

By ADAM LIPTAK and ALLISON KOPICKI

Published: June 7, 2012 1080 Comments

WASHINGTON — Just 44 percent of Americans approve of the job the Supreme Court is doing and three-quarters say the justices’ decisions are sometimes influenced by their personal or political views, according to a poll conducted by The New York Times and CBS News.

they are already disliked, its going to get worse
Worse for you whiny libs.

On what grounds should the mandate stand?
because liberals and free loaders say so.

It's a good thing their word carry's as much water as a no bottom bucket does

Hugely wrong. Individual mandate is going to be struck down. THAT is the engine that makes ObamaCare tick...

You cannot FORCE commerce of any sort and then regualte it. Where will it end? IF it is upheld? Where does it end? Government may make you purchase ANYTHING they like with impunity.

The DEATH of Liberty.

In point of fact, SCOTUS has already held the opinion that insurance IS commerce, and should be regulated at the federal level. In the case against South Eastern Underwriters in 1945, they actually held the door open for Congress to make the declaration of what is or is not considered commerce. Congress, in the McCarron-Fergusson Act of 1946, said insurance wasn't commerce, and placed the burden of regulation on the individual states. Congress does have the power to change their minds and reverse themselves.

We already have federally mandated funding of our Medicare system, as well as locally mandated funding of our Medicaid system. This, I believe, falls under the category of regulation. AFAIK, the only litmus test for deciding the constitutionality of government regulation is one of fairness in it's application. We also pay mandatory taxes paying for items and programs most of us will never need, and which many of us don't want. This has been challenged constitutionally, and upheld.

The article in the OP made an interesting note - 85.7% of the 21 "scholars" questioned said that if the insurance portion of the ACA was struck down, SCOTUS would lose credibility. This is probably the one statistic that has a verifiable certainty.

Forum List

Back