Hollande wants to raise taxes, minimum wage in France

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
The short version of the story: France is fucked.

The longer version:

He's going to raise the minimum wage by more than the inflation rate, yeah that'll help the UE numbers and grow the economy. His idea is that higher wages means more consumption and an improved economy. But it also could mean fewer jobs due to the higher cost of labor. I'll go out on a limb and say right now that the UE numbers in France are going up.

Then there's the tax increases on people earning more than a million euros a year and large corps, bidding to get more revenue. Plus a 3% higher tax rate on dividends and increases in payroll, wealth, and inheritance taxes. As we speak, The rich guys are leaving in droves; according to the IMF, in 2010 tax evasion in France is approx 17%, and no doubt going higher for those who haven't left yet. They're pulling their money out and stashing it in London or elsewhere.

And of course there's the rollback on the retirement age from 62 back down to 60. So tell me, if you're a German worker do you want to subsidize some French fuck's retirement when you have wait until 65 or 67? How can they possibly think they can pay full retirement benefits to people that are living longer?

What we have here is a liberal's wet dream: just about everything they want for us to do is already happening in France. Since Hollande has full control of their national parliament, he'll no doubt get what he wants. We'll see if it works; I'll stick with my short version: France is fucked.

I agree. They are fucked big time.

They have no one to blame but themselves. They voted them into power.

Let the games begin.

Last edited:
not to be a downer, but when werent they?

My understanding is that France was doing okay for the first 30 years after the war. "The Glorious 30" it was called. But then the arab oil embargo hit and so did inflation, and they tried to tax and spend their way out of trouble. Didn't work out too well, economic growth has not been too good for a long time. And it'd about to tank IMHO.

My understanding is that France was doing okay for the first 30 years after the war. "The Glorious 30" it was called. But then the arab oil embargo hit and so did inflation, and they tried to tax and spend their way out of trouble. Didn't work out too well, economic growth has not been too good for a long time. And it'd about to tank IMHO.

So basically where Obama wants to take us...

Hollande has single-handedly doubled the price of homes, even apartments, in London as anyone with more than about 100 Euros shrugs and moves on. In Paris it is said that the rustling of papers to expedite corporate moves out of France is drowning out even the most strident whining for shorter work weeks.

So basically where Obama wants to take us...

Uhuh.

F-ing stupid Libtards think that unions and government create prosperity while they stand in the way of productivity.

They'll be fine, they're going for growth as well as austerity. #1 Health System, #1 quality of life, and definitely right about Iraq. Pub dupes! Change the channel.

Forum List

Back