1863 Indian Massacre Site Uncovered in California

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Now, the Paiutes and DWP are fighting to leave the area untouched
By Kate Seamons, Newser Staff, Posted Jun 9, 2013 9:29 AM CDT

(Newser) – Archaeologists say they've stumbled upon a grim page in American history: the site of the 1863 Owens Lake massacre. The Los Angeles Times [Signs of 1863 massacre of Paiutes found at Owens Lake - latimes.com ] provides a history lesson: The Paiute Indians occupied land some 200 miles north of LA that proved desirable to an influx of ranchers in the mid 1800s. The Owens Valley Indian War broke out in 1861, but a seminal moment occurred on March 19, 1863: Settlers and soldiers battled with the Paiutes, who tried to flee their attackers by swimming into the lake, but were thwarted by a strong wind; nearly three dozen of them drowned or were shot. The tale of that day remains, but the exact location was lost.

Read more @ the above link.

This is most interesting to me as, during the past five years, I have conducted a great deal of research into the history of California for my historical fiction series, Father Serra's Legacy. During the period of early 1769 to 1823 when Spain ruled California, no more than a dozen Indians died at the hands of Europeans and the majority of them came due to minor uprisings against the soldiers. In that same period, only 2 Franciscan friars died and the Indians consistently did everything they could to protect those friars they considered to be their fathers.

It was when Mexican gained its independence from Spain and turned California into a territory that problems with the Indians arose – almost all of those from Indians not part of the missions. During this time, more and more Americans entered the territory due to the excellent weather and land able to be irrigated for farming and ranching. As the friars were removed from the missions and the Indians were forced to seek work for ranchers who treated them like slaves, more and more Americans sought land, often buying it from corrupt government officials not entitled to sell it. The Paiutes were never part of the mission system and, along with others from the east, often raided ranches for livestock.

In the above article, it states “settlers and soldiers” battled with the Indians. They were Americans, not Spanish or Mexican. Another example of Manifest Destiny in which the ignorant savages had no rights to the land where they had lived from beyond memory and their death was of no matter at all.

Many California textbooks claim the demise of the California Indians to be due to the Franciscan friars and their Spanish overlords – totally false and another coverup of the truth of American Expansion. One of the few things of American history that truly saddens me.

Did they drain the lake? How long do unburied human bones last underwater? They couldn't even find all of Ted Bundy's victims after 20 years, how on earth did Archiologists find the remains of 36 Indian bodies underwater after 150 years?

If at one point Americans did not kill a group of three dozen natives in California I would be more surprised.

I will also admit if I was president after the Civil War I am not sure how or if I would have turned the tide on Manifest Destiny. I would have probably been one of them folks who tried to force assimilation on the natives and the blacks since keeping separate cultures only seemed to lead to trouble.

Did they drain the lake? How long do unburied human bones last underwater? They couldn't even find all of Ted Bundy's victims after 20 years, how on earth did Archiologists find the remains of 36 Indian bodies underwater after 150 years?

As the article indicated, at the time of the massacre, the lake was there because it had not yet been drained by the demands of the growing population of the Los Angeles Basin. As the drought has continued in the west, more water has been drained than can be replenished. The LA Department of Water and Power wants to let it refill to a level that will hide the remains - that is what the Paiute ate complaining about.

How many whites were killed during the two year Owens Valley war?

According to Owens Valley Indian War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 60 whites died as opposed to 200 [estimated] Paiutes.

But, that is beside the point - the Paiute only wanted to fend off starvation due to miserable weather and the fact that the game they depended upon had died. The whites had taken up all the good grazing land and the deer, antelope, elk, and moose they had lived on for generations beyond generations were gone - and would never return!

Forum List

Back