14 Ways Obama Can Push Gun Control Without Congress

You mean really really big, like walking 3,000+ guns to Mexico, that kind of big. ATF did a fine job tracking them, didn't they? BTW ATF is an arm of the DOJ.

Does that change the DOJ's job? They have a different function.

No they have one function, enforcing federal law, doesn't matter if it involves banks, illegal aliens, guns or tootsie pops.

Lawyers in a court case aren't running around like the FBI and ATF. All those departments have separate functions.

when Bush did this, the left called him a DICTATOR

now look at them...not only do they find is OK, they are ENCOURAGING IT

scary damn times people

In my 20 years in the USAF, the 30-round magazine was standard...but we only loaded 20 rounds. Eliminated most feed problems.

Makes sense, especially when using old magazines. I don't remember any specific information, but I do vaguely recall some scuttlebut about fears of barrel warpage/damage from inexperienced and scared troops autofiring too many rounds through the weapon too quickly. 3-30rd mags is 90 rds, which would require all 5, 20rd mags to equal...but, like I said, my memories suggest that it was more of word-of-mouth rumour among some of the armoury personnel than anything I ever saw printed up in a FM/TM.

Does that change the DOJ's job? They have a different function.

No they have one function, enforcing federal law, doesn't matter if it involves banks, illegal aliens, guns or tootsie pops.

Lawyers in a court case aren't running around like the FBI and ATF. All those departments have separate functions.

Really, you still don't understand that the FBI and ATF are investigative arms of the DOJ. Damn your slow.

I think what Obama is trying to do is illiegal.

You give no detail of what he is trying to do. Obama and Biden were both lawyers and they have plenty more lawyers to help them do anything. It may surprise your kind, but lawyers do know how to follow the law.

Here is the problem and something your kind refuses to see. We live in a Democracy that elected the President and VP to office. I'm sure you didn't vote for them, but other Americans did. If they have the power in their office to do something for this country and do it, it doesn't make a difference whether your kind likes it or not. A President using the power given his office is not a dictator because some extreme people don't like what he does. We don't give a shit what you want and we outnumber you. Grow up!

By Tim Murphy and Adam Serwer

By Thursday afternoon, it was clear that Vice President Joe Biden's charms weren't going to be enough to persuade the National Rifle Association to get on board with gun control legislation. Following a 95-minute summit at the White House, the NRA issued a curt press release vowing never to surrender. "We were disappointed with how little this meeting had to do with keeping our children safe and how much it had to do with an agenda to attack the Second Amendment," the organization said. Instead, the nation's leading gun group pledged to take its "commitment and meaningful contributions" to Congress.

Fortunately for the White House, there's a Plan B. Just one day earlier, Biden signaled that the White House might take unilateral steps on gun control, noting "there are executive orders, executive action that can be taken." What those steps were, Biden wouldn't say. But we've got a pretty good idea. Here are 14 proposals, all endorsed by leading gun control advocates—and in some cases, even the NRA—that the White House and its subordinate agencies could push through on their own:

DETAILS: 14 Ways Obama Can Push Gun Control Without Congress | Mother Jones

While I agree that most of those 14 proposals suggested by Mother Jones would not require any new laws to be written by Congress, I see at least 4 that probably would.

Really, you still don't understand that the FBI and ATF are investigative arms of the DOJ. Damn your slow.

function - definition of function by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Hmm, when I was active duty, (I retired my commission shortly after the fall of Bagdad) M16A2 standard issue mags were 20-rounds, and so were the ones with my M-203 and my M-4A1. We carried 100 rounds under most conditions, 1 mag in rifle and 4 mags in belt packs (of course, in combat patrols most troops would load up their packs with as many magazines as they could pack). This isn't to say that there weren't 30rd mags in any of the weapons carried, but they weren't standard issue, at least in the units I was attached to. I'm curious, how did a 30-round mag become the "standard size" magazine for the civilian market semi-auto varient of these weapons, the AR-15? I'm not challenging or doubting you, I just find it peculiar that the civilian varient would possess larger magazines than were standard issue for the military varients of this weapon since the late sixties when I joined the military.

Actually, most of these suggestions seemed to be oriented around enforcing laws already on the books, and enhancing a few regulatory techniques. The president can't unilaterally enact laws, only congress can do that. The only thing the president can do is focus the DOJ and various other federal agencies on enforcement of laws and the methods used to enforce those laws.

I've never seen a 30 round that was reliable. The reason that 20 round magazines are standard with .223 based weapons is that it's the optimal size for spring tension to feed reliably into the weapon. 30 round mags either have too strong of springs, jamming the cartridge on a full mag, or too weak, misfeeding as the mag nears empty.

Do right-wingers ever think before they open their mouths? If you have to create a DOJ unit to track interstate weapons trafficking, which is the ATF's job, why would there be an international DOJ unit? I don't know why a Department of Justice unit should be created to do the job of the ATF in tracking weapons trafficing, when their job is to prosecute a crime. Crimes are usually presecuted at the state level and not by the feds, unless it's really big.

Try using your brain before you spout out nonsense!

Wow, you're stupid as a fucking doorknob, aren't you?

I bought a Colt AR-15 around '75 and it was 20 round. About 15 years ago, my older brother showed me his 30 round magazine for his AR-15. It wouldn't surprise me though that 30 round might be standard for new purchases. The manufacturers would do that to make the weapon more impressive, like the way they have doctored them up.

Actually, I suspected something like this when I was posing my question, but I've not heard anything confirming that. If it is just a sales gimmick, then there doesn't seem to be any reason that modifying it back down to a smaller number of rounds would be an unreasonable consideration for civilian sport weapons.

I tend to use bolt-action and lever-action rifles for hunting and target shooting. I do have a couple of semi-autos that are fun to shoot, but they are more for show and fun than a serious tool, it wouldn't bother me to only be able to run 10 rds at a time through them. When it comes to home defense, I prefer my shotguns. I don't plan on taking on SWAT teams or teams of federal marshals, if the government decides they want me that bad, I'd rather fight them in the courts than get in a gun fight with them.

guns-kelly-quote.jpg

Here are two right off the bat:

Prosecutors that plea bargain over full enforcement of current existing laws.

Weak sympathizers who oppose the death penalty. How can you say you are against gun violence but oppose strong deterrents and consequences?

Forum List

Back