13-yr-old Dutch Girl planning to sail around the world put under state care

Neser Boha

upgrade your gray matter
Mar 4, 2009
Nordic Bayou
BBC NEWS | Europe | Dutch sailor girl put under care

A Dutch court has put a 13-year-old girl under state care for two months, stalling her bid to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world.

The decision by three Utrecht judges means Laura Dekker's parents, who support her plans, temporarily lose the right to make decisions about her.

A child psychologist will now assess her capacity to undertake the voyage.
Miss Dekker says she is happy with the ruling, but she will try to convince the authorities to let her set sail.

The Dutch Child Protection Agency had requested Miss Dekker be made a ward of court because, it said, it was "irresponsible for such a young girl to make a two-year solo trip around the world".

Though that was interesting. What do y'all think? For more info read the rest of the article.

NANNY! NANNY! NANNY!

Wise to do this no, but it's their right as parents to decide to honor their child's request.

Depends on the girl.
No, it's not "smart" no matter what. But some 13-year-olds might be able to understand and accept the risks - and not just the ones from wind and waves. Others, no way. Hard to tell without knowing the girl.

2 years of no school at 13 would be truancy in the US and parents could be prosecuted, no?

Why do her parents want her to do this....? Do they get 15 minutes of fame themselves....? Are they willing to lose their child at such a young age? No matter how skilled their daughter is, don't they know that you can not beat Mother nature if she deems her wrath?

Are they willing to suffer the consequences for the sake of a world record?

Is the child certain she is willing to die for this record? We have laws that say a 13 yr old can not soundly decide whether she can have sex or not in all 50 states, that she can not soundly make the decision on who to vote for as president or representative, she can't join the armed forces, she can't even work a 40 hr week under our laws at 13 yet some on this board say she should be allowed to do what ''she wants'' at 13 like Avatar?

there is so much contradiction in allowing this girl to make this 2 year trip under USA law....not sure about her homeland.

A Dutch court has put a 13-year-old girl under state care for two months, stalling her bid to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world.

The decision by three Utrecht judges means Laura Dekker's parents, who support her plans, temporarily lose the right to make decisions about her.

Miss Dekker says she is happy with the ruling, but she will try to convince the authorities to let her set sail.

The Dutch Child Protection Agency had requested Miss Dekker be made a ward of court because, it said, it was "irresponsible for such a young girl to make a two-year solo trip around the world".
Though that was interesting. What do y'all think? For more info read the rest of the article.
Why would anyone of any age want to spend two years alone at sea on a boat? I hated school at 13 too but even I wouldn't have chosen that as a way to skip school.

I do think it's possible that a 13 year old could be capable of doing such a thing without going crazy from the isolation but would it really be worth it to break a record? Maybe she thinks she could write a book afterwards and sell the movie rights.

I think it's good that the Dutch government wants to have her assessed by a psychologist before making a decision about letting her do it.

Why would anyone of any age want to spend two years alone at sea on a boat? I hated school at 13 too but even I wouldn't have chosen that as a way to skip school.

I do think it's possible that a 13 year old could be capable of doing such a thing without going crazy from the isolation but would it really be worth it to break a record? Maybe she thinks she could write a book afterwards and sell the movie rights.

I think it's good that the Dutch government wants to have her assessed by a psychologist before making a decision about letting her do it.

Exactly. She might have all the know-how and experience she needs, by holy crap, she's only 13. I've met intelligent and mature 16-year olds, but kids under 16 are generally still... children.

I think 13 year olds are largely children because we coddle children too much. We talk down to them instead of talking with them. Kids are alot smarter and more mature than we give them credit for.

Forum List

Back