11 Democrat states have formed a pact to sabotage the Electoral College

The point being, it would mean that whoever did win the pop vote would also win the election. As is the case right now in every country except the United States and Pakistan. And that's the whole point here.

Why?

"Why" what?
Why is the popular vote the whole point?

Because it is. What is this, some kinda trick question?
Not at all. I'm questioning the, largely unquestioned, premise that the will of the majority is an inherently good thing; that accurately reflecting the will of the majority at any given time should be the goal. I don't think it should be. The goal should be good government.

If you purport to hold a "vote" --- on a candidate for office, a proposition, where to go to eat, anything at all ---- then by definition you're following the will of the majority. If you're not, what's the point of a "vote"?

That makes no sense ---"where do we want to eat, and if the majority don't agree with my choice we're going there anyway"? :wtf:

The point being, it would mean that whoever did win the pop vote would also win the election. As is the case right now in every country except the United States and Pakistan. And that's the whole point here.

Why?

"Why" what?

Not at all. I'm questioning the, largely unquestioned, premise that the will of the majority is an inherently good thing; that accurately reflecting the will of the majority at any given time should be the goal. I don't think it should be. The goal should be good government.

The problem is that there is no universally agreed upon definition of good government.

Connecticut To Give Its Electoral College Votes To National Popular Vote Victor

Connecticut voted to give its Electoral College Votes to the national popular vote victor. The state Senate voted 21-14 on Saturday to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, which includes 10 states and the District of Columbia. The state House passed the measure last week, 77 to 73. California, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington and the District of Columbia have already signed the accord.

This might give the Corrupt Democratic Party permanent control.
With permanent control the Corrupt Democrats will be able ignore the laws and the constitution and nobody could stop them. What do you think will happen to America if the Democrats are undefeatable?

This will be hilarious if Trump wins the popular vote in 2020.

Yeah...like California won't welch on their promise....too funny....

Connecticut voted to give its Electoral College Votes to the national popular vote victor. The state Senate voted 21-14 on Saturday to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, which includes 10 states and the District of Columbia. The state House passed the measure last week, 77 to 73. California, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington and the District of Columbia have already signed the accord.

With permanent control the Corrupt Democrats will be able ignore the laws and the constitution and nobody could stop them. What do you think will happen to America if the Democrats are undefeatable?

If Rump ever could win a PV, then he'd deserve to win the office. And the states involved would reflect that. Ain't rocket surgery.

But with the lowest approval ratings in history I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Hell, we don't even know if he'll be on the ballot by then.

If Rump ever could win a PV, then he'd deserve to win the office. And the states involved would reflect that. Ain't rocket surgery.

But with the lowest approval ratings in history I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Come on....you think California would actually instruct all their electors to pledge to Trump? They would commit suicide first. Heh

But with the lowest approval ratings in history I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Come on....you think California would actually instruct all their electors to pledge to Trump? They would commit suicide first. Heh

If this pact were in operation, of course they would. That's how it works.

If you purport to hold a "vote" --- on a candidate for office, a proposition, where to go to eat, anything at all ---- then by definition you're following the will of the majority. If you're not, what's the point of a "vote"?
It depends on how the system is designed. Ultimately, the point ought to be, in my view, good government - government that balances individual liberty with the will of the majority.

Also, fwiw, the will of the people isn't as simple as majority rule. It's a broader concept that instructs government to protect the will of ALL the people, not just the majority.

That makes no sense ---"where do we want to eat, and if the majority don't agree with my choice we're going there anyway"? :wtf:

This highlights one of the biggest problems we have: we're trying to do way too much with government. Government only makes when conformity is truly necessary. If it isn't really necessary for everyone to agree to the same course of action (like in your eating out example), we shouldn't be trying to mandate behavior with laws.

If this pact were in operation, of course they would. That's how it works.

Seems like a big gamble. The electors are usually the congress critters and the most politically connected people in the state.

Hold on ... this might be a good idea after all.

"Why" what?

It depends on how the system is designed. Ultimately, the point ought to be, in my view, good government - government that balances individual liberty with the will of the majority.

Also, fwiw, the will of the people isn't as simple as majority rule. It's a broader concept that instructs government to protect the will of ALL the people, not just the majority.

This highlights one of the biggest problems we have: we're trying to do way too much with government. Government only makes when conformity is truly necessary. If it isn't really necessary for everyone to agree to the same course of action (like in your eating out example), we shouldn't be trying to mandate behavior with laws.

You didn't touch the refutation at all.

Again --- if you're 'voting' on something...anything.... then how would you not be going with the will of the majority? That's the whole POINT of taking a vote.

If we're taking a vote with the understanding that the minority will carry, then I'm lobbying to eat at Bubba's Grease Pit, because that guarantees we won't go there.

As I said, your point makes no sense.

You didn't touch the refutation at all.

Again --- if you're 'voting' on something...anything.... then how would you not be going with the will of the majority? That's the whole POINT of taking a vote.

Again (should that be in caps?), it depends on the system in question. Some derive winners through pure democracy, some don't.

Anyway, as I said in my post, the point should be good government, which is not the same thing as consistently representing the majority. The majority can be alarmingly capricious, and a just and stable government won't always placate them.

If we're taking a vote with the understanding that the minority will carry, then I'm lobbying to eat at Bubba's Grease Pit, because that guarantees we won't go there.

Again, we shouldn't be voting on where to go to dinner.

Its a monumentally dumb decision if a state agrees to do such a thing. I thought Obamacare was unconstitutional so I’m not the person to ask about what is and isn’t kosher but I cannot believe this would be constitutional.

Of course it's Constitutional. Entirely.

We've noted this dozens of times already but the Constitution leaves the method used by the several states entirely up to each state. Nobody is required to even hold an election. They could use a Ouija board if they wanted to.

I’m not the guy to ask about the constitutionality of the topic as I mentioned. Seems to me that if DC, for example, goes 90+% for the Democrat and it’s 3 electors vote for the Republican who gets the most votes nationwide, the wishes of the voters is not being represented by the laws DC passed.

Correct, and we've done this point over and over too, but since it's a rainy day let's do it yet again.

The “wishes of the voters" are ALREADY not being represented, and it's been going on for two centuries.
That is opinion. The wishes of the voters are reflected in every election… I mean, you do vote for someone. If you don’t like the candidates…well….I would imagine that in 1808, 1908, and 2008, there were people who voted for the nominees who would rather have voted for someone else.

No, it's not "opinion" --- it's the way the system works ("works" in the sense of "operates").

Of the 51 states (DC counting as one for this purpose), no fewer than 49 of them use the "winner take all" (WTA) model exactly as I just described. And that means in a so-called "battleground" state like mine --- a bullshit term which would not even exist without this bullshit system --- every vote that did not align with plurality in that state, is dropped into the shredder and utterly ignored. And in every so-called "red" or "blue" state --- two more bullshit terms which would not exist without the same bullshit system --- NOBODY has any reason to go vote at all, since that state's ENTIRE Electoral Vote is predetermined. A given voter in Massachusetts or in Idaho can vote with their state, vote against their state, or stay home and watch reruns of "F Troop" and all three produce exactly the same result. There's no point in them going to vote at all--- which is a major reason our turnout rate is the embarrassment it is. Because what's the point?

**** Decoupling the discussion.

Well, yes it is an opinion. The WTA is the system the state has decided and the voters of that State have every right to change it to proportional if they wish.

As for the "no reason to go to the polls", total canard. There are House races, Senate races 2 out of every 3 years, usually a slate of local initiatives, statewide offices, etc.... But yeah, I know what you meant. Again, the proportional system is available and has stood constitutional muster.

I think the winning position is to make it to where the President-elect must win both the EC as well as the POV.

I think your opinion is valid somewhat so I think we need to improve the system.

Of course it's Constitutional. Entirely.

We've noted this dozens of times already but the Constitution leaves the method used by the several states entirely up to each state. Nobody is required to even hold an election. They could use a Ouija board if they wanted to.

I’m not the guy to ask about the constitutionality of the topic as I mentioned. Seems to me that if DC, for example, goes 90+% for the Democrat and it’s 3 electors vote for the Republican who gets the most votes nationwide, the wishes of the voters is not being represented by the laws DC passed.

Correct, and we've done this point over and over too, but since it's a rainy day let's do it yet again.

The “wishes of the voters" are ALREADY not being represented, and it's been going on for two centuries.
That is opinion. The wishes of the voters are reflected in every election… I mean, you do vote for someone. If you don’t like the candidates…well….I would imagine that in 1808, 1908, and 2008, there were people who voted for the nominees who would rather have voted for someone else.

No, it's not "opinion" --- it's the way the system works ("works" in the sense of "operates").

Of the 51 states (DC counting as one for this purpose), no fewer than 49 of them use the "winner take all" (WTA) model exactly as I just described. And that means in a so-called "battleground" state like mine --- a bullshit term which would not even exist without this bullshit system --- every vote that did not align with plurality in that state, is dropped into the shredder and utterly ignored. And in every so-called "red" or "blue" state --- two more bullshit terms which would not exist without the same bullshit system --- NOBODY has any reason to go vote at all, since that state's ENTIRE Electoral Vote is predetermined. A given voter in Massachusetts or in Idaho can vote with their state, vote against their state, or stay home and watch reruns of "F Troop" and all three produce exactly the same result. There's no point in them going to vote at all--- which is a major reason our turnout rate is the embarrassment it is. Because what's the point?

**** Decoupling the discussion.

Well, yes it is an opinion. The WTA is the system the state has decided and the voters of that State have every right to change it to proportional if they wish.

As for the "no reason to go to the polls", total canard. There are House races, Senate races 2 out of every 3 years, usually a slate of local initiatives, statewide offices, etc.... But yeah, I know what you meant. Again, the proportional system is available and has stood constitutional muster.

I think the winning position is to make it to where the President-elect must win both the EC as well as the POV.

I think your opinion is valid somewhat so I think we need to improve the system.

The thing is---- nobody's going to abandon WTA unless everybody else does. And everybody else isn't gonna do it unless everybody else-else does. Etc etc. That's how this morass got started in the first place. Sure you could ---- as in "it's technically possible to" ---- lobby 49 states individually, click your shoes together and hope they all agree to it at the same cosmic moment, but herding 49 cats would be far easier.

So they came up with this instead.

My state for an example is allotted fifteeen EVs. In 2016 the results were razor-thin where the Republican outpolled the Democrat. In 2008 it did the opposite, the D outpolled the R. In both cases our electors went to Congress and lied through their teeth, declaring "wow, it's incredible, literally everybody in our state voted for Rump/O'bama". Which has literally never happened anywhere in any election ever. Neither this state nor any other alloted 8 votes to the winner of 51 percent and seven votes to the winner of 49 --- they just dumped them all into one corner, despite the vote count.

That means everybody up to 49.999 percent of the votes in our state got flushed down the toilet and ignored. And the same thing went on in 48 other states, and it's been going on since James Madison was still around calling for that practice to be banned by Constitutional Amendment. He said it would lead to factionalism and division --- et voilà, here we sit with so-called "red" and "blue" states so he was spot-on correct about that.

This multistate pact is a plan to counter the effects of that system. Simple as that.

Okay, maybe I’m not understanding it then.

As I understand it, if the voters of CT vote for John Doe who is a D and then the national popular vote is won by Jane Doe who is an R, the electors of CT would vote for Jane Doe. Please enlighten me if that is not the case.

Correct, that's what they would do. Looked at from the state's perspective only, that state's electoral vote would not in this case represent how the people of Connecticut voted. On the other hand if the majority in Connecticut voted the other way -- for the same candy who won nationally, it STILL would not represent how the state's voters voted, since there is always a significant portion who want the other candy. So either way people are getting cut out. No difference.

That's not the fault of this pact --- it's the fault of WTA. Every time a state goes to Congress and lies that their state vote was unanimous --- that's what happens. And unless some state's electorate some day actually votes unanimously, it will always happen.

So this pact would not change that --- in fact it depends on keeping the WTA system to work. It simply means that those blue voters in Idaho and those red voters in Massachusetts would finally have a reason to go vote, since their vote WOULD be counted in the national PV count that would determine how the states in this pact cast their electoral votes.

In the current scheme, once your vote is shit-canned within the state because not enough voters in your state voted the same way -- you're done, you lost and you have no voice. In the proposed plan you still have a chance for your vote to count since it would affect the overall national vote, even if it was a minority in your state.

That alone could and should improve turnout above the pathetic 55%. It would also creak the door open just a bit for third party candies, since as it is now the EC-WTA system shuts them out.

It's clearly not the best fix but it's seems to be the most practical band-aid that can be easily applied without amending the Constitution.

No.
It is not.
Here is why.

The electors would not represent the will of the plurality of the voters. Plain and simple.
A candidate could run a pretty easy big-state strategy and never visit CT but still get their electoral votes. How is that representing the voters of CT?
How it would address faithless electors is unclear.

A better, more practical band-aid would be to insist that the President-elect win both the EC and the PV. That gives every voter a reason to go. Candidates could not do the thing where they get every vote in California and NY and get EC Votes in states they never visited handed to them.. They have to get into the mud in Wisconsin as well, you see, and fight for every vote there. Something Hillary wasn't able or willing to do so she lost...as she should have.

My state for an example is allotted fifteeen EVs. In 2016 the results were razor-thin where the Republican outpolled the Democrat. In 2008 it did the opposite, the D outpolled the R. In both cases our electors went to Congress and lied through their teeth, declaring "wow, it's incredible, literally everybody in our state voted for Rump/O'bama". Which has literally never happened anywhere in any election ever. Neither this state nor any other alloted 8 votes to the winner of 51 percent and seven votes to the winner of 49 --- they just dumped them all into one corner, despite the vote count.

That means everybody up to 49.999 percent of the votes in our state got flushed down the toilet and ignored. And the same thing went on in 48 other states, and it's been going on since James Madison was still around calling for that practice to be banned by Constitutional Amendment. He said it would lead to factionalism and division --- et voilà, here we sit with so-called "red" and "blue" states so he was spot-on correct about that.

This multistate pact is a plan to counter the effects of that system. Simple as that.

Okay, maybe I’m not understanding it then.

As I understand it, if the voters of CT vote for John Doe who is a D and then the national popular vote is won by Jane Doe who is an R, the electors of CT would vote for Jane Doe. Please enlighten me if that is not the case.

Correct, that's what they would do. Looked at from the state's perspective only, that state's electoral vote would not in this case represent how the people of Connecticut voted. On the other hand if the majority in Connecticut voted the other way -- for the same candy who won nationally, it STILL would not represent how the state's voters voted, since there is always a significant portion who want the other candy. So either way people are getting cut out. No difference.

That's not the fault of this pact --- it's the fault of WTA. Every time a state goes to Congress and lies that their state vote was unanimous --- that's what happens. And unless some state's electorate some day actually votes unanimously, it will always happen.

So this pact would not change that --- in fact it depends on keeping the WTA system to work. It simply means that those blue voters in Idaho and those red voters in Massachusetts would finally have a reason to go vote, since their vote WOULD be counted in the national PV count that would determine how the states in this pact cast their electoral votes.

In the current scheme, once your vote is shit-canned within the state because not enough voters in your state voted the same way -- you're done, you lost and you have no voice. In the proposed plan you still have a chance for your vote to count since it would affect the overall national vote, even if it was a minority in your state.

That alone could and should improve turnout above the pathetic 55%. It would also creak the door open just a bit for third party candies, since as it is now the EC-WTA system shuts them out.

It's clearly not the best fix but it's seems to be the most practical band-aid that can be easily applied without amending the Constitution.

No.
It is not.
Here is why.

The electors would not represent the will of the plurality of the voters. Plain and simple.
A candidate could run a pretty easy big-state strategy and never visit CT but still get their electoral votes. How is that representing the voters of CT?

It isn't.

Nor is the existing system, nor has it ever represented a given state for two centuries. And I already went over this.
Nothing changes on that front. And nothing can as long as WTA-EC exists.

How it would address faithless electors is unclear.

True. I've noted that too. Personally I believe state elector laws against so-called "faithless" electors are unConstitutional.

It would also require waiting fo the entire national vote to be counted before the EC could meet.

A better, more practical band-aid would be to insist that the President-elect win both the EC and the PV. That gives every voter a reason to go. Candidates could not do the thing where they get every vote in California and NY and get EC Votes in states they never visited handed to them.. They have to get into the mud in Wisconsin as well, you see, and fight for every vote there. Something Hillary wasn't able or willing to do so she lost...as she should have.

Still doesn't work if you're using the same old system. There would be no reason to concentrate on so-called "batteground" states because that WTA prize would no longer be relevant. All a candidate would need would be the biggest number of popular votes. Wouldn't matter which states they came from.

Besides which, the way this pact would work, the winner would always win both the PV and the EC.

True. I've noted that too. Personally I believe state elector laws against so-called "faithless" electors are unConstitutional.

It's my understanding that states can require pledges from electors, but there has never been a case of a faithless elector being punished under such a law, so it's still very up in the air whether the USSC would allow it to stand. There seems to be a good amount of opinion that states cannot actually punish faithless electors; that the pledge requirement is limited to primaries and does not extend to the actual votes of electors.

It's my understanding that states can require pledges from electors, but there has never been a case of a faithless elector being punished under such a law, so it's still very up in the air whether the USSC would allow it to stand. There seems to be a good amount of opinion that states cannot actually punish faithless electors; that the pledge requirement is limited to primaries and does not extend to the actual votes of electors.

I'm pretty sure electors can be replaced by the state if they don't toe the line. If I recall correctly Minnesota did that last time, for one.

That's why I think it's unConstitutional. If the state is going to dictate how the Elector "must" vote, it takes all discretion out of the Elector and makes the entire EC process pointless. They could literally phone it in.

I'm pretty sure electors can be replaced by the state if they don't toe the line. If I recall correctly Minnesota did that last time, for one.

That's why I think it's unConstitutional. If the state is going to dictate how the Elector "must" vote, it takes all discretion out of the Elector and makes the entire EC process pointless. They could literally phone it in.

Again though, I think they can be made to "toe the line" up to the voting, but it's very possible that they cannot be compelled to vote any particular way. They may have to pledge themselves to a Dem or Repub candidate, but violating that pledge may not be allowed to have any sort of legal consequences. :dunno:

Again though, I think they can be made to "toe the line" up to the voting, but it's very possible that they cannot be compelled to vote any particular way. They may have to pledge themselves to a Dem or Repub candidate, but violating that pledge may not be allowed to have any sort of legal consequences. :dunno:

Legal consequences isn't the point. If the state ass-umes the power to dictate how its Elector will vote, and will actually replace that Elector if it doesn't with another who will, then the state is short-circuiting the Constitutional function of that Elector, who's supposed to be a human being with free will.

Legal consequences isn't the point. If the state ass-umes the power to dictate how its Elector will vote, and will actually replace that Elector if it doesn't with another who will, then the state is short-circuiting the Constitutional function of that Elector, who's supposed to be a human being with free will.

Ah, but the state can choose electors however it wants. If that means choosing electors that will be willing to sign a pledge, that's what it means. And the legal consequences matter because, if there can be no legal consequences for an elector voting however he/she wants, then the state can't actually dictate how an elector will vote. They can only compel an elector to 'say' they will vote a certain way, but the elector has no obligation to actually follow through.

The state can say, "Tell us that you are going to vote for whomever wins the election," and the elector has to agree or be replaced. When that elector votes for someone else, however, the state can neither negate that already cast vote, nor do anything in particular to that elector as punishment.

I may be wrong, but I think that is a simplified version of the current state of affairs.

The Liberal opposition to the Electoral College is either:

1. Stupidity / Intellectual ability to understand how it gives every American, even those in the so-called fly-over' states, a voice and an ability to affect the outcome of elections rather than allow massive, extremely dense Liberal population centers like L.A. / New York dictate to them who their reps / leaders will be via 'Popularity Contests', PROVING these modern-day 'politicians' are no where near being in the same class as our Founding Fathers in regards to IQ, understanding how to affect true equal representation, and actually believing in and caring about democracy....

2. A butt-hurt, 'sour grapes', hate-driven, power-hungry-inspired rejection of the system they blame for the election loss of their American-sacrificing, national security-damaging, scandal-plagued, influence-peddling, self-serving, 'It's-My-Turn'-Elitist, FELON / TRAITOR who could not even win her party's nomination, vowing to eliminate any obstacle that may prove to be a stumbling block to their seizing power again.

Here's a tip for those in category #2:

The Electoral College was not the problem and not the reason the Democrats lost the 2016 election.

The fact that your candidate was an American-sacrificing, national security-damaging, scandal-plagued, influence-peddling, self-serving, 'It's-My-Turn'-Elitist, FELON / TRAITOR who could not even win her party's nomination was the problem.

Hillary is now a 2-TIME LOSER. She was rejected by the American people in favor of the 1st Black Man to seriously run and win the WH. Many Hillary Defenders 'blamed' the fact that Hillary lost because Obama was black and his win would be an historical event.

I would argue that Hillary's 2nd rejection by the American people in favor of a non-politician is evidence that Hillary was NOT rejected the 1st time because of Obama's skin color and historical significance but because Americans did not want an American-sacrificing, national security-damaging, scandal-plagued, influence-peddling, self-serving, 'It's-My-Turn'-Elitist, FELON / TRAITOR who could not even win her party's nomination to be President.

They didn't want her in 2008. They didn't want her in 2016.

The problem wasn't Donald Trump or the Electoral College - it was and remains HILLARY CLINTON.

Forum List

Back