1,000 Yard PISTOL shots!

Seen some really interesting shots on Impossible Shots on the Outdoor Channel.

But not that one. (yet)

Seen some really interesting shots on Impossible Shots on the Outdoor Channel.

But not that one. (yet)

Forget what it was on but being familar with that show wasn't it. Was on one of the sciency channels, maybe "science of the impossible." Seems apt. :)

I'm always skeptical when you see shots like this on the internet.
For all we know there's a guy down there in those trees shooting a .22 with a can on it from fifty yards away.
Not saying it can't be done but this is the internet after all.

check out Elmer Keith and his method of walking his shots to the targets . Sure , they weren't one shot to the target but he amazed lots of people with his ability on long shots using old Colts and S+W revolvers in the first half of the 20th century . He is instrumental in the development of the .44 and .357 magnums . He was a cool old dude as he grew up knowing lots of old gunmen , indian fighters as they were dying off .

1,000 yard shots are possible with any caliber capable of sending a bullet that far. Knowing the exact distance, practicing at that distance, and having no wind all count for a lot.

Its not practical but it is cool.

check out Elmer Keith and his method of walking his shots to the targets . Sure , they weren't one shot to the target but he amazed lots of people with his ability on long shots using old Colts and S+W revolvers in the first half of the 20th century . He is instrumental in the development of the .44 and .357 magnums . He was a cool old dude as he grew up knowing lots of old gunmen , indian fighters as they were dying off .

I've been a fan of Elmer Keith since I was a kid. Yeah, some of his stories might be embellished a bit, but he was still a major factor in the shooting world for decades.

KEITH was cool , lots of history growing up talking to those old gunmen , hunters , Indian fighters as they were old men . Elmers time in the USA was probably the best time to be a man in America . If you ever get to BOISE there is a big display featuring Elmer at the Cabelas , think its in Nampa . I have some of his old articles in some old original gun magazines that I find from time to time in old magazine stores that I run into when I see the stores in my travels . Also have one of his books , 'sixguns by Keith' , good book , written in easy to read style . Think that he died in the early 1980s .

It's a VIDEO, people. you get to EDIT OUT the 999 misses. This is done by having a spotter down near the target, protected from bullets, obviously, calling on a cell phone or walkie talkie and moving around the aiming point for you. After your (10 ft wide) area of impact is centered, it's just a question of shooting enough rds at that mark, until you get a hit. Then you publish the video with the hit. Very simple. It's not rocket science and it's not walking on water.

Ed McGivern was able to register over 50% hits on a man sized target at 600 yards with a .357 magnum. This was back in the 1930's. When I was good I could hit a 24 inch square plate at 400 yards about 90% of the time with my 6 inch Python. At 600 yards I dropped off to 10%. Just couldn't overcome that circular error probability!

Ed McGivern was able to register over 50% hits on a man sized target at 600 yards with a .357 magnum. This was back in the 1930's. When I was good I could hit a 24 inch square plate at 400 yards about 90% of the time with my 6 inch Python. At 600 yards I dropped off to 10%. Just couldn't overcome that circular error probability!

That was good shooting.

That was good shooting.

Yes, he is probably the greatest pistol shot the world has seen.

That was good shooting.

Hitting a 24 sq in plate at 400 yards with a 6" Python ain't too shabby either.

Man Hits Target From 1 000 Yards With Revolver Geekologie

Before we start a cult and worshipping him let's bear in mind he likely practiced on that exact spot knowing exactly where the taregt was and basicly this was little more than a well-setup shot. If he can walk onto a rifle range anywhere and do it then I'll worship him as a god. :) Still, helluva shot.

he might be on a "thousand yard range"

but the target looks closer 1000 ft

That was good shooting.

That was back when I had eyes that could see that far! Actually, with practice it's not that hard. The main thing is seeing the target.

That was good shooting.

That was back when I had eyes that could see that far! Actually, with practice it's not that hard. The main thing is seeing the target.

Ain't that the truth! My eyes sure aren't what they used to be.

Still, there is some skill, whether developed or natural, in hitting something that far away with a revolver.

That was back when I had eyes that could see that far! Actually, with practice it's not that hard. The main thing is seeing the target.[/QUOTE]

Forum List

Back