‘Zombie ice’ from Greenland will raise sea level 10 inches

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Zombie ice from the massive Greenland ice sheet will eventually raise global sea level by at least 10 inches (27 centimeters) on its own, according to a study released Monday.

Zombie or doomed ice is ice that is still attached to thicker areas of ice, but is no longer getting fed by those larger glaciers. That’s because the parent glaciers are getting less replenishing snow. Meanwhile the doomed ice is melting from climate change, said study co-author William Colgan, a glaciologist at the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland.

“It’s dead ice. It’s just going to melt and disappear from the ice sheet,” Colgan said in an interview. “This ice has been consigned to the ocean, regardless of what climate (emissions) scenario we take now.”

Study lead author Jason Box, a glaciologist at the Greenland survey, said it is “more like one foot in the grave.”

The unavoidable ten inches in the study is more than twice as much sea level rise as scientists had previously expected from the melting of Greenland’s ice sheet. The study in the journal Nature Climate Change said it could reach as much as 30 inches (78 centimeters). By contrast, last year’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report projected a range of 2 to 5 inches (6 to 13 centimeters) for likely sea level rise from Greenland ice melt by the year 2100.

'Zombie ice' from Greenland will raise sea level 10 inches

So I guess the Obamas and all the other rich folks who have mansions near the water will be under water....What a pity. ;)

Personally I'm going to wait to panic until I hear Frankie McDonald's opinion on this.

OIP.mbALAjkMoInIhNMThu4zYQHaE8

Jason Box is a WEF 'contributor'.

They've stated they're pivoting from covid to climate, so this sort of doom and gloom propaganda should surprise no one.

Zombie ice from the massive Greenland ice sheet will eventually raise global sea level by at least 10 inches (27 centimeters) on its own, according to a study released Monday.

Zombie or doomed ice is ice that is still attached to thicker areas of ice, but is no longer getting fed by those larger glaciers. That’s because the parent glaciers are getting less replenishing snow. Meanwhile the doomed ice is melting from climate change, said study co-author William Colgan, a glaciologist at the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland.

“It’s dead ice. It’s just going to melt and disappear from the ice sheet,” Colgan said in an interview. “This ice has been consigned to the ocean, regardless of what climate (emissions) scenario we take now.”

Study lead author Jason Box, a glaciologist at the Greenland survey, said it is “more like one foot in the grave.”

The unavoidable ten inches in the study is more than twice as much sea level rise as scientists had previously expected from the melting of Greenland’s ice sheet. The study in the journal Nature Climate Change said it could reach as much as 30 inches (78 centimeters). By contrast, last year’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report projected a range of 2 to 5 inches (6 to 13 centimeters) for likely sea level rise from Greenland ice melt by the year 2100.

So I guess the Obamas and all the other rich folks who have mansions near the water will be under water....What a pity. ;)

Personally I'm going to wait to panic until I hear Frankie McDonald's opinion on this.

I got drunk last night and filled my glass with a snowcone machine. When it melted it was up to my mattress and the poodle had drowned

ONOZ2.gif

I don't think most realize, especially after this 10" post/diversion...
(really a Great Disservice for the Misimpression it creates)

That if Greenland's Ice Alone were to melt, Sea Level would rise app 23 Feet.
`
`

Last edited:
It's a wonderous thing, living through this level of fucked up history. 200,000 years of humans walking this earth and it only took us a few hundred years to fuck ourselves.
So wait, horse shit is different than cow shit with regard to CO2?

The DNC MUST find a way to keep the lemming hordes focused away from their disasters for the elections.
The simple minded, easily led lemming Leftists are incredibly easy to manipulate.

Without hordes of imbeciles would there even be a "Progressive" movement?

The DNC MUST find a way to keep the lemming hordes focused away from their disasters for the elections.
The simple minded, easily led lemming Leftists are incredibly easy to manipulate.

Without hordes of imbeciles would there even be a "Progressive" movement?
And what might this have to do with Greenland's ice melting?

I don't think most realize, especially after this 10" post/diversion...
(really a Great Disservice for the Misimpression it creates)

That if Greenland's Ice Alone were to melt, Sea Level would rise app 23 Feet.
`
`
You do realize the last interglacial cycle was 2C warmer with a 26 FEET higher sea level and had 120 ppm less CO2 than today, right?

That’s a horrible analog that doesn’t begin to explain why it was 2C warmer in the past with 120 ppm less atmospheric CO2.
It's only a horrible analog if you don't get it. What I was trying to communicate was that other factors exist. Like a closet door.

Forum List

Back