You're welcome!

It ensures that the candidates with the most actual support win. It's a disadvantage for divisive candidates. That's a good thing.

RCV is the one issue that could get me to vote for a D or R, despite my misgivings on their general ideology. If either Trump or Biden campaigned hard for ranked choice voting, I'd seriously consider voting for them. But how likely is that?
That's the theory...The practice doesn't measure up.

In practice, it elevates the same old shitty candidates, and in fact elects even worse ones (i.e. Janet Mills).

If the completely unimpressive mediocrity, Lisa Murkowski, foisting that Rube Goldberg on the poor Alaskans so she could maintain her power doesn't prove that to you, what would?

Which "other side"?
Voting ‘third party’ will benefit either the Democratic or Republican candidate, depending on the third-party candidate.

In 1992 the benefit went to the Democratic candidate, Bill Clinton, as Perot was perceived to be conservative taking votes from Bush.

In 2000 the benefit went to the Republican candidate, George Bush, as Nader was perceived to be liberal taking votes from Gore.

You’re welcome.

No, I've been looking at the results....They suck.

You've bought a pig in a poke.
If you're talking about the Alaska thing, Palin told her voters not to rank. Because she's an idiot. And her voters obliged. That's on her. Look it over again, and avoid the partisan nonsense.

Voting ‘third party’ will benefit either the Democratic or Republican candidate, depending on the third-party candidate.
That's just a straight up lie. My vote doesn't "benefit" anyone besides the candidate I vote for. The rest is an unscrupulous con perpetrated by partisan fools. We won't improve things until we grow out of this idiocy.

If you're talking about the Alaska thing, Palin told her voters not to rank. Because she's an idiot. And her voters obliged. That's on her. Look it over again, and avoid the partisan nonsense.
Who else are you going to rank?....More wormy remocrats or depublicans?

Rigged choice favors the weaker, mediocre, sleazeball candidate, in both theory and practice.

One of the most deceitful sales pitches employed by partisan douchebags (see linked article) is the old saw that voting third-party is the same as voting for the "other" party. "Voting Green party is the same as voting for Trump!", or "Voting Libertarian is the same as a vote for Democrats!". This, of course, isn't true at all. And you can shut these nitwits up pretty quickly by pointing this out: "Ok, if you say voting Libertarian is the same as voting for Biden, then I'll just go ahead and vote for Biden. Is that what you want? Is that really the same thing?" - or a similar line with the other candidate depending on what kind of partisan douchebag you're talking to.

This browbeating might convince some voters, but anyone with half a brain sees the conceit, and will rightly be offended by it. This alienates more independents than in convinces, making it even less likely that we'll vote for their candidate.

As an alternative to insulting independent, third-party voters, here's my advice: How about thanking us? After you've tried your best and we still prefer to vote third party, you could say something like "Well, I think it would be better if you voted for Biden/Trump, but I want to at least thank you for NOT voting for Trump/Biden. He sucks".

You're welcome.

Ontario currently has a Conservative government which has a well earned approval rating of 28%. Ford was elected by 44% of the voters. 56% of the voters cast their ballots for liberal parties. There are three of them and one conservative party.

Throughout the campaign, the liberals and NDP spent all of their time taking shots at one another. Ford, basking in the glow of the success of the Canadian covid response, simple let them destroy each other. The Green Party leader came off the best but with 1 seat and 6% of the vote, the Greens were nothing but spoiler.

TBH, nobody ran a great campaign. Ford won because of low turn out and no real opposition. But splitting the liberal vote 3 ways guaranteed Ford's win.

One of the most deceitful sales pitches employed by partisan douchebags (see linked article) is the old saw that voting third-party is the same as voting for the "other" party. "Voting Green party is the same as voting for Trump!", or "Voting Libertarian is the same as a vote for Democrats!". This, of course, isn't true at all. And you can shut these nitwits up pretty quickly by pointing this out: "Ok, if you say voting Libertarian is the same as voting for Biden, then I'll just go ahead and vote for Biden. Is that what you want? Is that really the same thing?" - or a similar line with the other candidate depending on what kind of partisan douchebag you're talking to.

This browbeating might convince some voters, but anyone with half a brain sees the conceit, and will rightly be offended by it. This alienates more independents than in convinces, making it even less likely that we'll vote for their candidate.

As an alternative to insulting independent, third-party voters, here's my advice: How about thanking us? After you've tried your best and we still prefer to vote third party, you could say something like "Well, I think it would be better if you voted for Biden/Trump, but I want to at least thank you for NOT voting for Trump/Biden. He sucks".

You're welcome.

In voting systems like we have in the Uk and the US that can be the case.

I have voted against the tories by voting for every progressive party available. Whichever one is most likely to keep the tories out.

We need PR to ensire that every vote counts. The main parties will not accept that.

America faces a stark choice next year. biden being less worse than trump. But his Gaza policy is problematic to say the least.

A multi party system would help.

You're welcome.

Anything short of 5th party level of irrelevance, doesn't help.

The oldest mind reading trick in the book.

Who can say what anyone would have done in the absence of the given candidate?...It's certainly no sure bet that I would have voted for your guy.

If Harry Browne wasn't on the ballot in 1996 and 2000, I would've stayed home.

My vote is mine, not yours.

Yours to throw away.
Don't participate
That's your right.

Forum List

Back