Your thoughts on Online Schooling

My son is dealing with online classes here in Indiana. Personally I think it makes a lot of sense. The two big knocks are younger students not getting routine and lessons they need in a school environment, and the lack of social contact that makes many home schooled kids awkward. Also, it would be a death blow to sports. My opinion is to have kids go to school through seventh grade, and then for the older kids, make it online. As for sports, I dearly love them, but I don't see why it is federally funded under 'education.' Sports options should be dealt with on a county or city basis. You don't need athletics to learn teamwork and effort. That is a ridiculous excuse for the funding of sports. Keep in mind, my dad was a teacher, and I played football, wrestled and was a swimmer, and I loved them all. I think online teaching for older kids could offer tremendous opportunities. I have found teacher quality declining at a steady rate, mostly because they do not get payed much and education changes every time the wind blows. How much do you think the department of education would fight this?

My daughter hates home schooling. Her 2 year old refuses to play quietly while his older sister has lessons and becomes disruptive and crash the lesson, closely followed by the family dog - a large standard poodle, when he's not chasing their cats. This is no way for my granddaughter to learn. She misses her friends, and both the social and competitive aspects of live classes, and the independence.

My daughter also says this is so unfair for her 2 year-old. As the second child, this was his opportunity to have one on one time with his mother, and he was enjoying having his own time with her, and his own activities with her. Even though all outside enrichment activities have been cancelled for now, home schooling is a bad idea.

It also leaves children without the experience of working in groups for projects, or learning to lead projects.

Thanks for the response. I'm sorry your daughter's kids have had bad experiences. I think E School is the future, and it looks like there is a lot to iron out. It doesn't have to be like home schooling at all. The kids can still go to school in their early years, and when they are older they can take advanced programming. This is the opposite of home school where the young kids stay home and then go to high school. For a teenager, I can see the benefits of incredibly advanced and specialized programs. It could open many new opportunities. It would be nice give them some hands on vocational training as well. Teach Johnny and Jill how to swing a hammer or fix their car. Nothing scarier than engineers who don't know what a hacksaw is.

You will see the people most invested in public brick and mortar will put up the most fight and tell you how it won't be as good. Of course they'll completely forget how the status quo now sucks and kids aren't getting a great education. The ones who do learn a lot are smart and can achieve on their own. They don't need a physical teacher and 29 other students in a classroom for them to learn.

And most of us just got by. We were allowed to just get by with little effort. Well it's hard to fool an online class. It doesn't care that you are a nice person. All it knows is you got 50 out of 100 right on the test today. And if you keep that up, you might have to repeat the class. Same way in college.

It's interesting how different I treated college when I was paying for it. I failed a couple classes early on and realized i would have to take the class again and pay for it. In highschool they just let you pass with a D. So for example I wasn't prepared in college to take the accounting class. My highschool accounting class didn't give a fuck if I understood or not. The teacher just passed me anyways.

Yes, there would be a lot to iron out but with the coronavirus we see that brick and mortar is not the most effective way and it's costing us a fortune. Parents should pay for their own kids schooling. If they want brick and mortar they can pay for private school.
Public schools such as we know them will be gone in less than 20 years. I can foresee greatly reduced facilities there to teach the entry level kids how to read, write and do basic math. After that I believe most of the upper grades will be online.

JO
When I was an enrollment counselor at University of Phoenix every other school said the way we were teaching sucked. Meet 1 day a week and the rest is done remotely or online. Every other school trashed us. But guess what? We were so successful that they all started doing it. Now every school has online classes.

A lot of adults can't do the traditional school. They have to work. THey can't come to a 45 minute class at 10am 3 days a week and then a 1 1/2 hour class 2 days a week. The college schedule doesn't work for someone who works full time.

Well, online schooling is fine. Especially if you can't afford better. I'm sure MSU and Harvard will still have live classes but maybe a school like Eastern Michigan or Western Kentucky might have to go online. Or maybe because college is so unaffordable, a new regionally accredited school might come into existence where it's 100% online but only costs $5000 a year. I would love to see a school like that compete against the schools charging $20K plus a year.

It will foster a lot more social awkwardness.

A big part of school is learning how to interact with other people.
The whole thing about the social awkwardness of home schooled kids is a myth.

Do you people really think that kids who are home schooled have no interaction with anyone but their parents?
That's homeschooled. This is using a device and its limitations before interacting with another human being.
It's different.

So these home schooled kids are basically in prison and never have the chance to meet other kids?

You could not be more wrong.

My son is dealing with online classes here in Indiana. Personally I think it makes a lot of sense. The two big knocks are younger students not getting routine and lessons they need in a school environment, and the lack of social contact that makes many home schooled kids awkward. Also, it would be a death blow to sports. My opinion is to have kids go to school through seventh grade, and then for the older kids, make it online. As for sports, I dearly love them, but I don't see why it is federally funded under 'education.' Sports options should be dealt with on a county or city basis. You don't need athletics to learn teamwork and effort. That is a ridiculous excuse for the funding of sports. Keep in mind, my dad was a teacher, and I played football, wrestled and was a swimmer, and I loved them all. I think online teaching for older kids could offer tremendous opportunities. I have found teacher quality declining at a steady rate, mostly because they do not get payed much and education changes every time the wind blows. How much do you think the department of education would fight this?

My daughter hates home schooling. Her 2 year old refuses to play quietly while his older sister has lessons and becomes disruptive and crash the lesson, closely followed by the family dog - a large standard poodle, when he's not chasing their cats. This is no way for my granddaughter to learn. She misses her friends, and both the social and competitive aspects of live classes, and the independence.

My daughter also says this is so unfair for her 2 year-old. As the second child, this was his opportunity to have one on one time with his mother, and he was enjoying having his own time with her, and his own activities with her. Even though all outside enrichment activities have been cancelled for now, home schooling is a bad idea.

It also leaves children without the experience of working in groups for projects, or learning to lead projects.

Thanks for the response. I'm sorry your daughter's kids have had bad experiences. I think E School is the future, and it looks like there is a lot to iron out. It doesn't have to be like home schooling at all. The kids can still go to school in their early years, and when they are older they can take advanced programming. This is the opposite of home school where the young kids stay home and then go to high school. For a teenager, I can see the benefits of incredibly advanced and specialized programs. It could open many new opportunities. It would be nice give them some hands on vocational training as well. Teach Johnny and Jill how to swing a hammer or fix their car. Nothing scarier than engineers who don't know what a hacksaw is.

You will see the people most invested in public brick and mortar will put up the most fight and tell you how it won't be as good. Of course they'll completely forget how the status quo now sucks and kids aren't getting a great education. The ones who do learn a lot are smart and can achieve on their own. They don't need a physical teacher and 29 other students in a classroom for them to learn.

And most of us just got by. We were allowed to just get by with little effort. Well it's hard to fool an online class. It doesn't care that you are a nice person. All it knows is you got 50 out of 100 right on the test today. And if you keep that up, you might have to repeat the class. Same way in college.

It's interesting how different I treated college when I was paying for it. I failed a couple classes early on and realized i would have to take the class again and pay for it. In highschool they just let you pass with a D. So for example I wasn't prepared in college to take the accounting class. My highschool accounting class didn't give a fuck if I understood or not. The teacher just passed me anyways.

Yes, there would be a lot to iron out but with the coronavirus we see that brick and mortar is not the most effective way and it's costing us a fortune. Parents should pay for their own kids schooling. If they want brick and mortar they can pay for private school.
Public schools such as we know them will be gone in less than 20 years. I can foresee greatly reduced facilities there to teach the entry level kids how to read, write and do basic math. After that I believe most of the upper grades will be online.

JO
When I was an enrollment counselor at University of Phoenix every other school said the way we were teaching sucked. Meet 1 day a week and the rest is done remotely or online. Every other school trashed us. But guess what? We were so successful that they all started doing it. Now every school has online classes.

A lot of adults can't do the traditional school. They have to work. THey can't come to a 45 minute class at 10am 3 days a week and then a 1 1/2 hour class 2 days a week. The college schedule doesn't work for someone who works full time.

Well, online schooling is fine. Especially if you can't afford better. I'm sure MSU and Harvard will still have live classes but maybe a school like Eastern Michigan or Western Kentucky might have to go online. Or maybe because college is so unaffordable, a new regionally accredited school might come into existence where it's 100% online but only costs $5000 a year. I would love to see a school like that compete against the schools charging $20K plus a year.

Knowledge has unfortunately become a commodity and is held back by the higher learning institutions that produce such useless beings as Elizabeth Warren....

I earned an engineering degree with free books available online from Google...went for the peer testing and aced everything without so much as a single sit down class room....I did it all while working two jobs and supporting a family. I now head up a department that receives baccalaureat level trainees that I have to teach Trig and Calculus to....these guys are coming in the door and don't know shit. It's amazing...and what's even more amazing is how much money they have to set aside every month to pay their student loans.....I'm with you.....time to spread the knowledge! I go to bed every night with an old cell phone set to YOU TUBE and an ear piece listening to Math and Physics lectures to supplement what I know....this is not hard....it's the wave of the future.

JO

Do you people really think that kids who are home schooled have no interaction with anyone but their parents?
Here's the thing. Kids who get homeschooled are weird. Homeschooling doesn't make them weird they already are weird and that's why they homeschool. If they were normal then they would go to public school.

I work with a guy who was homeschooled. He's a pretty cool guy. He has his shit together. Now it doesn't hurt that he's over 6 food and built like a brick shit house. That probably helped. But he's very sociable. Great communication skills.
you do realize you just contradicted yourself don't you?

Here's the thing. Kids who get homeschooled are weird. Homeschooling doesn't make them weird they already are weird and that's why they homeschool. If they were normal then they would go to public school.

I work with a guy who was homeschooled. He's a pretty cool guy. He has his shit together. Now it doesn't hurt that he's over 6 food and built like a brick shit house. That probably helped. But he's very sociable. Great communication skills.
You need to realize that Silly Boo Boo is derp! He was the kid in the back of the class with his head down and drooling.

iu

Last edited:

That's homeschooled. This is using a device and its limitations before interacting with another human being.
It's different.

So these home schooled kids are basically in prison and never have the chance to meet other kids?

Not true at all....here in Massachusetts the home school associations have sports teams, hold dances and sponsor field trips..... The collectivists fear homeschooling because it robs them of their opportunity to indoctrinate young minds.....so they attack the system.

JO

JO

Online education won't work, and the level of education of American workers will continue to decline. People need to learn to work together. Online learning doesn't allow for that. There are also a number of hands on skills that are needed.

Last but not least, the poor will have no access to education. Education is already skewed to ensure the rich remain rich, with better access to upper levels of education.

Your nation has to make a choice: people first or corporations first. This pandemic has shown the flaws in your corporations first approach. The people have inadequate income or health insurance to deal with this pandemic. Tying health insurance to employment when 30 million people are now unemployed is insanity on the hoof. And low wages for working American have left them very vulnerable.

The bulk of the funds for the Payroll Protection Plan loans went to publically trades corporations, not "small businesses at all". Republicans are engineering the bailout programsm to funnell more and more money to large corporations, leaving small businesses to die. Corporations first is what got you people into this economic mess in 2008, and it's happening again.

More and more of the wealth of the nation is being funnelled to the top 10% and every crisis in America has seen vast amounts of money funnelled to the the wealthy, leaving the poor with nothing, and the middle class worse off than when they started.

PEOPLE FIRST. Keep the people going, stop the virus, and business will take care of itself. But nothing will happen for businesses until you take care of the peole.

JO

Online education won't work, and the level of education of American workers will continue to decline. People need to learn to work together. Online learning doesn't allow for that. There are also a number of hands on skills that are needed.

Last but not least, the poor will have no access to education. Education is already skewed to ensure the rich remain rich, with better access to upper levels of education.

Your nation has to make a choice: people first or corporations first. This pandemic has shown the flaws in your corporations first approach. The people have inadequate income or health insurance to deal with this pandemic. Tying health insurance to employment when 30 million people are now unemployed is insanity on the hoof. And low wages for working American have left them very vulnerable.

The bulk of the funds for the Payroll Protection Plan loans went to publically trades corporations, not "small businesses at all". Republicans are engineering the bailout programsm to funnell more and more money to large corporations, leaving small businesses to die. Corporations first is what got you people into this economic mess in 2008, and it's happening again.

More and more of the wealth of the nation is being funnelled to the top 10% and every crisis in America has seen vast amounts of money funnelled to the the wealthy, leaving the poor with nothing, and the middle class worse off than when they started.

PEOPLE FIRST. Keep the people going, stop the virus, and business will take care of itself. But nothing will happen for businesses until you take care of the peole.

Fuck off collectivist...

It is working now and will grow to replace public education. The remaining brick and mortar institutions will be for advanced students and focus on one or two subjects like Math or a field of science. Yeah...it won't work for you because it will rob you of your opportunity to indoctrinate the next generation.

JO

It's different.

Not true at all....here in Massachusetts the home school associations have sports teams, hold dances and sponsor field trips..... The collectivists fear homeschooling because it robs them of their opportunity to indoctrinate young minds.....so they attack the system.

JO

I find it's the homeschoolers who are turning out the good little right wing robots. That's because they've never been exposed to the lies Republicans tell. When people meet real minorities and interact with them, they discover they're not the people Republicans claim they are. The racism and elitism that the Republican Party represents is dependent upon maintaining the illusion that minorities are violent, lazy, and the authors of their own poverty and lawlessness. As soon as the little cherubs get off the ranch and mingle with others, they discover all of the Republican lies, are lies.

Minority poverty is higher than white poverty, around 20%, versus 10% for whites. But that means that 80% of minorities are not living in poverty, are not in jail, and are not the parasites that Republicans claim them to be.

Republicans continue to blame the poor for being poor and ignore how the deck is thoroughly stacked in favour of the status quo. "Legacy" admissions in all upper tier private universities ensures the children of those who currently have ivy league educations, will continue to get first crack at enrolment, regardless of grades. This practice continues unabated, but the "affirmative action" enrolments are decried as "unfair" and "discrimination" against white kids and must be eliminated.

Stuff like that.

On line education will not work because too many people just don't care and aren't motivated to do any work. Even going to a physical school does them no good.

JO

What happens when you have an ice storm, someone cuts a fiber optic cable, or some other service interruption? Who is going to upgrade the internet to handle the load? I can't do any extensive work on-line of the internet dies. Ironically, that is her job and 99% of her calls are from people trying to overload their home internet..

My wife is working from home. While she is working, her customers can hear me walk down the stairs to take the dog to the yard. I have to keep the pets locked up. I can't do yard work for fear of disturbing her calls. How do you solve those problems.?

JO

Knowledge has unfortunately become a commodity and is held back by the higher learning institutions that produce such useless beings as Elizabeth Warren....

I earned an engineering degree with free books available online from Google...went for the peer testing and aced everything without so much as a single sit down class room....I did it all while working two jobs and supporting a family. I now head up a department that receives baccalaureat level trainees that I have to teach Trig and Calculus to....these guys are coming in the door and don't know shit. It's amazing...and what's even more amazing is how much money they have to set aside every month to pay their student loans.....I'm with you.....time to spread the knowledge! I go to bed every night with an old cell phone set to YOU TUBE and an ear piece listening to Math and Physics lectures to supplement what I know....this is not hard....it's the wave of the future.

JO

That's YOU! Most people do not learn that way.

... their opportunity to indoctrinate young minds......

JO
People who haven't been near a school in decades love to repeat this nonsense. Nobody is wasting any time or energy trying to "indoctrinate" anyone. Many teachers in MA are liberal because, well, MA. But many are not, and there is no 'secret agenda' to program students with a political point of view. Ask any teacher you know if they have any time, energy, or interest in shit like that.

JO

Fuck off collectivist...

It is working now and will grow to replace public education. The remaining brick and mortar institutions will be for advanced students and focus on one or two subjects like Math or a field of science. Yeah...it won't work for you because it will rob you of your opportunity to indoctrinate the next generation.

JO

Have you talked to any teachers about this? They will tell you how horribly it's not working.

Parents don't like it either. My daughter is trying to home school my daughter, while her 2 year old brother trashes lesson times. My son-in-law has an "essential business" so he's still working, so she's at home trying to do her office work for her husband, care for two children and teach her daughter online. She says that she hates her daughter's new school. "She misses her friends, she's not learning as much, and her teacher is a bitch".

Last but not least, there is the affordable day care issue. Parents can't work without it and it simply doesn't exist without government subsidies. When you're paying $275 per child for daycare today, how are parents supposed to pay that when they're barely getting by with free schools for their kids?

JO

We're not talking about university classes Sealy. We're talking about primary school and high school.

I don't think anyone reasonable would suggest we go back to a time when women had few if any options in terms of their families and careers, but it is hard not to see how an economy based on one breadwinner and one homemaker had many benefits. However, that horse has long since left the barn, in very important ways for the best.

There are always exceptions to the rule. Maybe his mom was bullied in elementary school and saw he himself was a bully. I don't know his whole story but I do know he was homeschooled. He says scheduled wierd. Instead of saying sceduled he says SHHHeduled. Do you say it skeduled or SCHeduled?

How stupid is it to speculate not only on a family's motivation to choose one or another means of educating their children, but the personal history of the parents? Some people are painfully hostile to logic.

Forum List

Back