Your thoughts on Online Schooling

... Global warming proves we are. The polluted oceans means too many humans. The landfills and we don't know what to do with the garbage.

No, it doesn't. The temperature of this planet has varied for millions and millions of years and will for as long as it exists. Pollution, waste, war, disease and any of the other illogical arguments the chicken littles cling to have all existed for as long as there have been at least TWO human beings on earth.
Wrong
History says otherwise, jitler.
I'm talking about the future not the past.
You were one of those slow kids who slept in the back of the class and only woke up long enough to ask "Why do I need to know this?" in History class, weren't you?
Yup. And why did I need to know it? .....

I knew it. Once a dumbass, always a dumbass. Now you're a lonely old loser who can't understand the future because you never learned how the past informs it. Sad.

It will foster a lot more social awkwardness.

A big part of school is learning how to interact with other people.
The whole thing about the social awkwardness of home schooled kids is a myth.

Do you people really think that kids who are home schooled have no interaction with anyone but their parents?
That's homeschooled. This is using a device and its limitations before interacting with another human being.
It's different.

In Los Angeles the students don't attend on line classes and trade the school provided tablets for weed.

NOPE. FUCK that shit. All it does is get in the way.
Aww, who's a socially regressive wittle triggered Pogtard...aww! :itsok:
Pogo was homeschooled and he's one smart cookie.

I only wish I'd been homeschooled, since I had done absolutely nothing to deserve that twelve years imprisonment. But it is fair to say everything I've learned has been in spite of that prison (certainly including social interaction) not at all because of it. Institutional schooling (school, as in fish, not as in education) is a robot-programming, cookie-cutting, socially poisoning, drone-developing creativity-crushing cesspool where human potential goes to die, decompose and draw metaphorical maggots.

So I guess to get back to the OP topic, if I had (a) child(ren) I'd absolutely want personal hands-on control of their education and would not want them anywhere near such an institution. It would just be cruel.
:ack-1:

Seriously, the "school" environment has been quite successful for hundreds of years.

And yes, it does foster healthy interactivity with other people vs. living in a bubble.

Sorry Bubbles, the school environment hasn't even EXISTED for hundreds of years. That's where incuriosity takes you - to ignorance. Same place the school environment delivers you actually.

I only wish I'd been homeschooled, since I had done absolutely nothing to deserve that twelve years imprisonment. But it is fair to say everything I've learned has been in spite of that prison (certainly including social interaction) not at all because of it. Institutional schooling (school, as in fish, not as in education) is a robot-programming, cookie-cutting, socially poisoning, drone-developing creativity-crushing cesspool where human potential goes to die, decompose and draw metaphorical maggots.

So I guess to get back to the OP topic, if I had (a) child(ren) I'd absolutely want personal hands-on control of their education and would not want them anywhere near such an institution. It would just be cruel.

Seriously, the "school" environment has been quite successful for hundreds of years.

And yes, it does foster healthy interactivity with other people vs. living in a bubble.

Sorry Bubbles, the school environment hasn't even EXISTED for hundreds of years. That's where incuriosity takes you - to ignorance. Same place the school environment delivers you actually.

Wrong! Onnkk!
"The concept of grouping students together in a centralized location for learning has existed since Classical antiquity. Formal schools have existed at least since ancient Greece (see Academy), ancient Rome (see Education in Ancient Rome) ancient India (see Gurukul), and ancient China (see History of education in China). The Byzantine Empire had an established schooling system beginning at the primary level. According to Traditions and Encounters, the founding of the primary education system began in 425 AD and.."

Traditional high school does by necessity cram the same set of shoes on every student, whether or not they fit. When you've got 20 or more students entering your classroom every hour, you can't give them all the individual attention they could benefit from. I think teachers try. At least the ones that aren't burnt out by it all do. There will always be Pogo's who march to a different drummer and are frustrated by it.

Teachers take individual strengths and weakness, and varying learning styles into consideration. However, students are part of a class rather than personal ego-soothing sessions. This is not oppression. Do you think these students go out into the world and find jobs with companies that make everything about them individually? Hold their hands and make grilled cheese just like mommy did? There is a real world out there, and nobody gives a shit what sensitive little pogos feeeeeel. You do no one any favors by hiding reality from them.

Whelp, just look at it this way.

Between myself and your worthless ass, which one of us turned out to be a sociopathic dystopian contrarian asshole who intentionally names himself after excrement in a state of unfortunate viscosity?

Chew on that, Chuckles. And for fuck's sake wash your hands.

I had a better vocab than that in 6th grade. You made a false assertion and I proved it wrong just like scooping a handful of Pensacola beach sand and smearing it right into your sandy vag. SandyPogo! :auiqs.jpg:

Grabbed ya right by the pussy! With a handful of sand!

I respect Unko and the others' teacherness. Personally I think the Admiral is much crankier all the time.

I didn't even POST TO YOU, Sprinkles. Get over yourself. What are you, the fucking hall monitor?
But it's most illuminating that you're willing to go on record as having "respect" for Dripping Feces Boi. Everybody else has the waste of human skin on Ignore.
Not sure of the logic behind that screen name, but other than that..that poster seems solid enough to me.

How long have schools been around again, SandyPogo?

The Q I have is: Where did your schooling deliver you to make you post that? That is a seriously ignorant and verifiably false thing to post.
Who taught you that? Wtf happened? I got curious and found out you either told one Double Whopper of a lie, or are seriously ignorant. Unfortunately, this is no false dichotomy: Were you lying or ignorant?

Oh look, it's ankle-biter hall monitor boy, whining he's not getting enough attention. Again.

About a century and a half, Ankles. State by state compulsory education laws were passed between 1852 and 1918. The first being Massachusetts and the last, Mississippi. So that's a maximum of 168 years.

In other news, bite me.

Do you people really think that kids who are home schooled have no interaction with anyone but their parents?

Completely agree. That just ain't logical. Kids have their playmates in the local neighborhood, and then organized outside=the-neighborhood stuff like Little League. Matter of fact if kids only interacted with their parents and their parents were not Anglophones, they'd never learn English. And if they were Anglophones but with a native accent from somewhere else, the children would learn the local dialect, not the parental one.

My son is dealing with online classes here in Indiana. Personally I think it makes a lot of sense. The two big knocks are younger students not getting routine and lessons they need in a school environment, and the lack of social contact that makes many home schooled kids awkward. Also, it would be a death blow to sports. My opinion is to have kids go to school through seventh grade, and then for the older kids, make it online. As for sports, I dearly love them, but I don't see why it is federally funded under 'education.' Sports options should be dealt with on a county or city basis. You don't need athletics to learn teamwork and effort. That is a ridiculous excuse for the funding of sports. Keep in mind, my dad was a teacher, and I played football, wrestled and was a swimmer, and I loved them all. I think online teaching for older kids could offer tremendous opportunities. I have found teacher quality declining at a steady rate, mostly because they do not get payed much and education changes every time the wind blows. How much do you think the department of education would fight this?

My daughter hates home schooling. Her 2 year old refuses to play quietly while his older sister has lessons and becomes disruptive and crash the lesson, closely followed by the family dog - a large standard poodle, when he's not chasing their cats. This is no way for my granddaughter to learn. She misses her friends, and both the social and competitive aspects of live classes, and the independence.

My daughter also says this is so unfair for her 2 year-old. As the second child, this was his opportunity to have one on one time with his mother, and he was enjoying having his own time with her, and his own activities with her. Even though all outside enrichment activities have been cancelled for now, home schooling is a bad idea.

It also leaves children without the experience of working in groups for projects, or learning to lead projects.

Here's the thing. Kids who get homeschooled are weird. Homeschooling doesn't make them weird they already are weird and that's why they homeschool. If they were normal then they would go to public school.

I work with a guy who was homeschooled. He's a pretty cool guy. He has his shit together. Now it doesn't hurt that he's over 6 food and built like a brick shit house. That probably helped. But he's very sociable. Great communication skills.

... Global warming proves we are. The polluted oceans means too many humans. The landfills and we don't know what to do with the garbage.

No, it doesn't. The temperature of this planet has varied for millions and millions of years and will for as long as it exists. Pollution, waste, war, disease and any of the other illogical arguments the chicken littles cling to have all existed for as long as there have been at least TWO human beings on earth.
Wrong
History says otherwise, jitler.
I'm talking about the future not the past.
You were one of those slow kids who slept in the back of the class and only woke up long enough to ask "Why do I need to know this?" in History class, weren't you?
Yup. And why did I need to know it? .....

I knew it. Once a dumbass, always a dumbass. Now you're a lonely old loser who can't understand the future because you never learned how the past informs it. Sad.
Yes I learned that in 5th grade. Thanks for the refresher. People who don't know history are doomed to repeat it. Duh.

That's all you teachers are is theory.

How about the whitewashed history your white man books teach? You are doomed to repeat the past too because you don't know the real history. Yea.

Yes I learned that in 5th grade. Thanks for the refresher. People who don't know history are doomed to repeat it. Duh.

It's nice that you learned something in your last year of school, but that's not what I said.

... Kids who get homeschooled are weird. Homeschooling doesn't make them weird they already are weird and that's why they homeschool. If they were normal then they would go to public school.

That's ignorant nonsense. You personally know every student who is homeschooled, and why they are? It's ok to take a minute and think first before you click on "Post reply."

... Kids who get homeschooled are weird. Homeschooling doesn't make them weird they already are weird and that's why they homeschool. If they were normal then they would go to public school.

That's ignorant nonsense. You personally know every student who is homeschooled, and why they are? It's ok to take a minute and think first before you click on "Post reply."
They are homeschooled because they are weird. They don't fit in. Maybe they got bullied. Or a lot of times it's their parents. Their parents were bulled and they don't want their kid to be bullied but they have to realize that the kid is only half of them. He/she may not get picked on like their mom or dad got picked on. Now if both parents were nerds then definitely homeschool the little buger.

My brother has bad memories of public schools especially when we went to Detroit Public Schools. He was traumatized. I was a little tougher I fought back. So his kids go to the best private schools. The oldest just got into MSU. He probably won't become a teacher. Too smart for that.

They are homeschooled because they are weird. They don't fit in. Maybe they got bullied. Or a lot of times it's their parents. ....

How the hell do you know? We know that you are a 'confirmed bachelor' who hasn't been near a school of any kind in decades. You sure as hell never studied logic, that's for sure.

They are homeschooled because they are weird. They don't fit in. Maybe they got bullied. Or a lot of times it's their parents. ....

How the hell do you know? We know that you are a 'confirmed bachelor' who hasn't been near a school of any kind in decades. You sure as hell never studied logic, that's for sure.
The last time I was in school I was 1/3 through my masters at the University of Phoenix. I wish I would have stayed and finished it but that wouldn't have led me to this great job that I have today so I guess no regrets.

The masters I was getting doesn't even exist anymore. It's for dummies like me who could never get an MBA. It was called a MOM. Masters in Organizational Management.

I only remember a few good teachers and none of them remind me of you. Only one teacher reminds me of you and he too was a wrestling coach. Later he ran for politics and made it pretty far in the republican party.

My son is dealing with online classes here in Indiana. Personally I think it makes a lot of sense. The two big knocks are younger students not getting routine and lessons they need in a school environment, and the lack of social contact that makes many home schooled kids awkward. Also, it would be a death blow to sports. My opinion is to have kids go to school through seventh grade, and then for the older kids, make it online. As for sports, I dearly love them, but I don't see why it is federally funded under 'education.' Sports options should be dealt with on a county or city basis. You don't need athletics to learn teamwork and effort. That is a ridiculous excuse for the funding of sports. Keep in mind, my dad was a teacher, and I played football, wrestled and was a swimmer, and I loved them all. I think online teaching for older kids could offer tremendous opportunities. I have found teacher quality declining at a steady rate, mostly because they do not get payed much and education changes every time the wind blows. How much do you think the department of education would fight this?

My daughter hates home schooling. Her 2 year old refuses to play quietly while his older sister has lessons and becomes disruptive and crash the lesson, closely followed by the family dog - a large standard poodle, when he's not chasing their cats. This is no way for my granddaughter to learn. She misses her friends, and both the social and competitive aspects of live classes, and the independence.

My daughter also says this is so unfair for her 2 year-old. As the second child, this was his opportunity to have one on one time with his mother, and he was enjoying having his own time with her, and his own activities with her. Even though all outside enrichment activities have been cancelled for now, home schooling is a bad idea.

It also leaves children without the experience of working in groups for projects, or learning to lead projects.

Thanks for the response. I'm sorry your daughter's kids have had bad experiences. I think E School is the future, and it looks like there is a lot to iron out. It doesn't have to be like home schooling at all. The kids can still go to school in their early years, and when they are older they can take advanced programming. This is the opposite of home school where the young kids stay home and then go to high school. For a teenager, I can see the benefits of incredibly advanced and specialized programs. It could open many new opportunities. It would be nice give them some hands on vocational training as well. Teach Johnny and Jill how to swing a hammer or fix their car. Nothing scarier than engineers who don't know what a hacksaw is.

It's inevitable. The department is education can squawk all they want
Cash strapped municipalities will see it as a way out of the expense.

Jo

Thanks for the response. I'm sorry your daughter's kids have had bad experiences. I think E School is the future, and it looks like there is a lot to iron out. It doesn't have to be like home schooling at all. The kids can still go to school in their early years, and when they are older they can take advanced programming. This is the opposite of home school where the young kids stay home and then go to high school. For a teenager, I can see the benefits of incredibly advanced and specialized programs. It could open many new opportunities. It would be nice give them some hands on vocational training as well. Teach Johnny and Jill how to swing a hammer or fix their car. Nothing scarier than engineers who don't know what a hacksaw is.

You will see the people most invested in public brick and mortar will put up the most fight and tell you how it won't be as good. Of course they'll completely forget how the status quo now sucks and kids aren't getting a great education. The ones who do learn a lot are smart and can achieve on their own. They don't need a physical teacher and 29 other students in a classroom for them to learn.

And most of us just got by. We were allowed to just get by with little effort. Well it's hard to fool an online class. It doesn't care that you are a nice person. All it knows is you got 50 out of 100 right on the test today. And if you keep that up, you might have to repeat the class. Same way in college.

It's interesting how different I treated college when I was paying for it. I failed a couple classes early on and realized i would have to take the class again and pay for it. In highschool they just let you pass with a D. So for example I wasn't prepared in college to take the accounting class. My highschool accounting class didn't give a fuck if I understood or not. The teacher just passed me anyways.

Yes, there would be a lot to iron out but with the coronavirus we see that brick and mortar is not the most effective way and it's costing us a fortune. Parents should pay for their own kids schooling. If they want brick and mortar they can pay for private school.

You will see the people most invested in public brick and mortar will put up the most fight and tell you how it won't be as good. Of course they'll completely forget how the status quo now sucks and kids aren't getting a great education. The ones who do learn a lot are smart and can achieve on their own. They don't need a physical teacher and 29 other students in a classroom for them to learn.

And most of us just got by. We were allowed to just get by with little effort. Well it's hard to fool an online class. It doesn't care that you are a nice person. All it knows is you got 50 out of 100 right on the test today. And if you keep that up, you might have to repeat the class. Same way in college.

It's interesting how different I treated college when I was paying for it. I failed a couple classes early on and realized i would have to take the class again and pay for it. In highschool they just let you pass with a D. So for example I wasn't prepared in college to take the accounting class. My highschool accounting class didn't give a fuck if I understood or not. The teacher just passed me anyways.

Yes, there would be a lot to iron out but with the coronavirus we see that brick and mortar is not the most effective way and it's costing us a fortune. Parents should pay for their own kids schooling. If they want brick and mortar they can pay for private school.
Public schools such as we know them will be gone in less than 20 years. I can foresee greatly reduced facilities there to teach the entry level kids how to read, write and do basic math. After that I believe most of the upper grades will be online.

JO

Forum List

Back