You tube can replace school in a heartbeat....

According to entrepreneur statistics, 70% of entrepreneurs went to college. 30% didn’t. So 35% of Americans go to college yet 70% of entrepreneurs are college grads. Ill do the math for you…. You are 4X as likely to be an entrepreneur if you go to college.

What else you got? I could do this all week.

go to goodwill spend sixty dollars on books and give yourself a better education than what u get from most colleges

College Graduates Have No Right to the Jobs They Get Through Humiliating Themselves to Please the Economic Bullies Who Mandate Unpaid Education

All that shouldn't matter to the rest of us if Diploma Dumbos don't do the quality of work that merits such salaries. The only thing these no-talent brown-noses learn is "how to do" a job, just like most American boys learn "how to" play baseball but can't even make their high-school teams.
No business pays for bad work. You either don’t believe in capitalism or you doubt understand it. I think probably both.

Like with most things, it depends. I know people who started in construction and went on to own their own construction company and yes they are "killing it" by any measure. I also know people who graduated with technical degrees in computer science and engineering and they have a net worth of near zero.
100% agree. Nothing is for sure and there are always outliers. But statistically it’s not debatable. College provides you with the most likely path to the shrinking middle class.

Not true. Trades are a fine living. Can you find someone killing it? Yep. On average a new colleg grad is making way more than trades.

For individuals with a bachelor's degree, the average salary less than one year after graduation is $44,595. This jumps to $63,235 for individuals with five to nine years of experience, and to $76,707 for individuals with 10 to 19 years of experience. This means that in their first 10 years out of college, individuals with a bachelor's degree can expect an estimated $32,112 in raises.

The average skilled trades salary in the USA is $47,500per year or $24.36 per hour. Entry level positions start at $35,720 per year while most experienced workers make up to $69,160 per year.

It really depends on what the young person's degree is in. If a young person gets a degree in Black Studies or Lesbian Poetry, they won't be able to earn very much at all. But if they get a degree in civil engineering or proctology, they will be probably doing ok. I suppose that hiring someone with a Black Studies degree might be useful for a big company who is looking for good Affirmative Active statistics to get government contracts, and setting up "no work" jobs makes financial sense.

But really the long term prospects of the liberal academic disciplines in quite limited.

It really depends on what the young person's degree is in. If a young person gets a degree in Black Studies or Lesbian Poetry, they won't be able to earn very much at all. But if they get a degree in civil engineering or proctology, they will be probably doing ok. I suppose that hiring someone with a Black Studies degree might be useful for a big company who is looking for good Affirmative Active statistics to get government contracts, and setting up "no work" jobs makes financial sense.

But really the long term prospects of the liberal academic disciplines in quite limited.
I met a guy who was deep in school loan debt for acting classes....to the tune of $80,000 for the colleges he had been to. He was working as a construction worker.

He was never going to be able to pay off these loans.

School teachers often get their loans forgiven... okay...I can understand that.

Airplane pilots? $200,000 minimum for the training in turbofan and etc and most jobs are for copilots of cargo planes paying 30-40,000 per year. Again not helpful. The baggage handlers get to keep more of their check than your average pilot school graduate...and have longer careers in their field as most pilots get older and unaffordable from health screenings.

Just saying...

College Graduates Have No Right to the Jobs They Get Through Humiliating Themselves to Please the Economic Bullies Who Mandate Unpaid Education

All that shouldn't matter to the rest of us if Diploma Dumbos don't do the quality of work that merits such salaries. The only thing these no-talent brown-noses learn is "how to do" a job, just like most American boys learn "how to" play baseball but can't even make their high-school teams.
This shit again, broken record?

The vast majority of jobs being created since the 1980's have been service industry jobs, over 85% or so; the 'labor shortage' is a load of nonsense; corporations jut want millions of green cards to import cheap and easily abused foreign labor so they won't have to pay skilled Americans a decent wage.
For individuals with a bachelor's degree, the average salary less than one year after graduation is $44,595. This jumps to $63,235 for individuals with five to nine years of experience, and to $76,707 for individuals with 10 to 19 years of experience. This means that in their first 10 years out of college, individuals with a bachelor's degree can expect an estimated $32,112 in raises.

lol whoopity do .... minimum wage adjusted for real inflation for a 40 hour week would be around $40 K a year at a conservative estimate, $62K a year if using the gold standard, which is why they had to dump the gold standard, but that is another thread. Just because a lot of companies are requiring college degrees for a lot of jobs in no way means those jobs actually need a colleged educated professional; a receptionist doesn't need a degree in English to answer phones or give directions to the elevator, and yes, some companies require a degree to be receptionist or a secretary.

My wife and I have been discussing how true leadership is missing from the management teams and has been for so long that they don't know how to recognize potential leadership anymore.

This is beyond the "influencers" of the internet or repeating sycophant corporate lines...true leadership comes from understanding of how to do the job while understanding those who work for you and leading them with "servant leadership".

Meaning that you understand and believe that most people want to do a good job and receive credit when doing it. That dominating people with your position doesn't cut it or ever work out. People want to advance...and that doesn't necessarily mean that they should have your job...but some form of recognition for their accomplishments and reliance upon their skills.
No schoolyard games of who is the biggest suck up...

And believe it or not... that type of leadership causes magic in the workplace of outstanding performance and loyalty. The very things that most management teams want but are only able to get lip service that resembles that instead of true loyalty and performance.
Sitting Pretty Away From the Nitty Gritty

The motto of those smug blowhard Bizz Skule Bozos is: "It's not a job, it's a position."

No business pays for bad work. You either don’t believe in capitalism or you doubt understand it. I think probably both.
Paying Students Would Get the Best and Get Them to Study

The best of the worst is all the bosses are stuck with. You assume they care about job performance, but what these economic bullies care about most is the sacrifice their brown-nose employees will make to get the job, proven by the ruling class's unmanly mandate of unpaid education. Your theory magically makes these educated eunuchs the best of the best, but it is no different from having a Communist Party membership card in the defunct Soviet Union. Salaried education would replace most of your imaginary successful people with those who got rewarded in advance for their superior talent. Sacrifice has no merit and should not be rewarded.

If the CEOs cared more about performance than about their superiority over their employees, they would recruit the best high school students (what baseball does) and give them a lot of money for living expenses and tuition in college. Any corporation that did that would soon dominate its sector; it would be equivalent to an NFL team getting the whole first round of draft picks. If this indentured-servitude system doesn't change, High IQs better wake up and get their revenge, confiscating the wealth stolen from wimpy college graduates willing to be Cash Cows for Corporate Cowboys.

A true saying that is going around is the cynical, "If you're so smart, why haven't you made the rich richer?" The plutocratic parasites don't mind that; what they fear is, "If you're so smart, why don't you make the rich poorer?"

Nothing more tiresome than some nitwit who convinces himself he's onto an absolutely brilliant idea. No matter how stupid and impractical the idea really is, the mental case will repeat it endlessly, insisting he be taken seriously when there is no reason to.

The vast majority of jobs being created since the 1980's have been service industry jobs, over 85% or so; the 'labor shortage' is a load of nonsense; corporations jut want millions of green cards to import cheap and easily abused foreign labor so they won't have to pay skilled Americans a decent wage.

lol whoopity do .... minimum wage adjusted for real inflation for a 40 hour week would be around $40 K a year at a conservative estimate, $62K a year if using the gold standard, which is why they had to dump the gold standard, but that is another thread. Just because a lot of companies are requiring college degrees for a lot of jobs in no way means those jobs actually need a colleged educated professional; a receptionist doesn't need a degree in English to answer phones or give directions to the elevator, and yes, some companies require a degree to be receptionist or a secretary.
I think you are using outliers for your analysis. Most companies use college education as a proxy to know their employee have the drive and smarts to do the job they want. College students end up with the vast majority of paying jobs. It’s a fact. Again you can make a fine middle class living in some trades. And some will make it big. But on average a college education earns you $1M more than a high school education.

I agree with you that one can no longer support a family on the average blue collar job which is basically a service job.

Not true. Trades are a fine living. Can you find someone killing it? Yep. On average a new colleg grad is making way more than trades.

The average skilled trades salary in the USA is $47,500per year or $24.36 per hour. Entry level positions start at $35,720 per year while most experienced workers make up to $69,160 per year.

That' a very short sighted analysis...but then again look at who published it.....ahem...college grads.

I know half a dozen Millionaire Plumbers who started at entry level.

JO

That' a very short sighted analysis...but then again look at who published it.....ahem...college grads.

I know half a dozen Millionaire Plumbers who started at entry level.

JO
Anecdotal. Great. I know that every single person in my neighborhood went to college and are all multimillionaires. It’s better to look at statistics than who we know.

When I was studying to be a teacher, a mentor of mine gave me a great piece of wisdom.

He said "Some kids will make As if you just give them the textbook and give them weekly tests and a finale exam. Some kids will fail the class if you give them 4 hours of private tutoring a day. Your job will be the kids in the middle." I never forgot that.

YouTube videos can be very educational and informative. But they can't answer questions. They can't motivate students. And they can't see that a student does not understand. I have worked extensively with Computer Based Learning. And yes, it can be invaluable. But just watching videos will not replace an education.

Not every child needs a college education.
Not every person needs to have a desk job.

Plumbers make a good, solid living...not one that requires a college education.
Same with auto/diesel/aircraft mechanics.

Skilled trades make just as good or better than most of these "office jobs". And there's less competition in them as far as office politics type stuff. From service trades to skilled trades there's a need for the workers... even still a shortage of these people. Skilled electricians are becoming scarce. And as our love affair with electricity only is growing...we don't have enough electricians...what we do have is aging out of their careers.

So what if some people aren't college material...plenty of work and needed skills elsewhere in the economy. From fishing boats to Tractor trailer drivers to crane operators/riggers we need a workforce of regular people that aren't made to feel belittled because they don't have a "college education" that doesn't pay anyway.

Normal, average people with unique talents and that have character have been the bread and butter of our economy for centuries...not a bunch of educated idiots navigating office politics like it's still the playground at school.

We used to make heroes out of the "regular guy" who had character and courage of his convictions....a part of something bigger than yourself. It was respectable.

Engineers are great...but they forever keep making paper mistakes. (Like trying to put 3 4" boxes inside of a 5" wall post at the same elevation)

I absolutely agree that we should bring back trade schools and vocational education. But everyone needs a certain amount of education. In fact, having football coaches teach civics classes is part of why we are where we are today.

Every person needs to know basic math skills.
Every person should be able to, at the very least, read a newspaper.
Every person should know the basics of our US Constitution.
Every person should have a working knowledge of World & US History.
Every person should know the basics of operating a computer and getting on the internet.
Every person should have at least some exposure to the arts & literature.
Every person should have at least a working knowledge of biology, physical sciences, human physiology, basic hygiene, physics, and chemistry.
Every person should have at least one class on the basic requirements of being an adult. How to balance a checkbook, create a budget, change a tire, cook a meal, care for a child, 1st aid, and when to go to a lawyer/doctor.

I think you are using outliers for your analysis. Most companies use college education as a proxy to know their employee have the drive and smarts to do the job they want. College students end up with the vast majority of paying jobs. It’s a fact. Again you can make a fine middle class living in some trades. And some will make it big. But on average a college education earns you $1M more than a high school education.

I agree with you that one can no longer support a family on the average blue collar job which is basically a service job.

Rubbish. Companies have been caught several times colluding with each other to keep from competing on wages and keeping the costs of skilled labor artificially low. See Silicon Valley's recent court cases on that. Green cards are another tactic to do the same thing.

Rubbish. Companies have been caught several times colluding with each other to keep from competing on wages and keeping the costs of skilled labor artificially low. See Silicon Valley's recent court cases on that. Green cards are another tactic to do the same thing.
You are missing the target but hitting the tree. Corporate collusion is minuscule. Employers have taken over the government through dark money and don’t need to break the law to screw workers when you can just change the laws and do it legally.

Forum List

Back