You couldn't Make Blazing Saddles today.

..your hypothesis makes no sense ..Blazing Saddles destroyed the Western as a genre???!!!!
..how come there are tons of MODERN movies in the genre Western on Pluto, Hulu, Popcornflix, Roku, etc etc ?

I could explain it to you again, and you still wouldn't understand it.

Watch the video. Then get back to me.
hahhaha--you mean you CAN'T explain because it's a ludicrous OP

That's right, crying little b*thes like you would be all over themselves with angst and fake cries of racism, like you do now.

Would they? Based on what?

Here's the thing. Blazing Saddles didn't make fun of black people, they made fun of all the white racists and the white-washed conventions of the 1950's Western. (Most cowboys in the 19th century were black and hispanic, but you'd never know that from Hollywood.)

Movies like those made by the Wayans brothers use the same kind of humor.

the problem with Blazing Saddles is that it was a product of it's time. When Brooks did the Campfire Scene, it was hilarious, because no one up to that point used flatulence as a joke. Today, Fart Jokes aren't shocking, they are old and you even see them on kiddie shows.

You're only allowed to mock Christians and Conservatives, right?

Again, did you watch either the Video or Blazing Saddles. Christians and Conservatives WERE what Brooks was mocking.

You stated it "destroyed the Western as a genre", but now you qualify your statement.

It obviously did not.

How many westerns are produced a year now, vs. how many were produced a year in the 1950's. How many western TV shows are on the air right now? Back in the 1950's, when we only had four channels, they had dozens. Now we have hundreds of channels and would be hard pressed to find one or two.

Brooks took Hollywood's cash cow and turned it into hamburger.

Now, the difference between his other parodies like Spaceballs or Young Frankenstein, which treated the source materials with a certain amount of respect, Blazing Saddles took a sledgehammer to them.
Most cowboys were black and Spanish!? Lol
In the 1800’s they maybe made up 3% of America lol haha you moron

A History Of Black Cowboys And The Myth That The West Was White | HuffPost

In the 1870s and ’80s, the Village Voice reports, approximately 25 percent of the 35,000 cowboys on the Western Frontier were black. And yet the majority of their legacy has been whitewashed and written over.

One notable example of this erasure manifests in the story of Bass Reeves, a slave in Arkansas in the 19th century who later became a deputy U.S. marshal, known for his ace detective skills and bombastic style. (He often disguised himself in costume to fool felons and passed out silver dollars as a calling card.) Some have speculated that Reeves was the inspiration for the fictional Lone Ranger character.

Most people remain unaware of the black cowboy’s storied, and fundamentally patriotic, past. “When I moved to the East Coast, I was amazed that people had never heard of or didn’t know there were black cowboys,” photographer Ron Tarver said in an interview with The Duncan Banner. “It was a story I wanted to tell for a long time.”

This was a really interesting video that blows up right wing talking points about "Political Correctness"

His point is not that you couldn't make Blazing Saddles today, but that you shouldn't make it today because it had already accomplished it's point, which was to destroy the Western as a genre.

That's correct. Whiney douchebags, like you, would prevent it.

In the 1870s and ’80s, the Village Voice reports, approximately 25 percent of the 35,000 cowboys on the Western Frontier were black. And yet the majority of their legacy has been whitewashed and written over.

One notable example of this erasure manifests in the story of Bass Reeves, a slave in Arkansas in the 19th century who later became a deputy U.S. marshal, known for his ace detective skills and bombastic style. (He often disguised himself in costume to fool felons and passed out silver dollars as a calling card.) Some have speculated that Reeves was the inspiration for the fictional Lone Ranger character.

Most people remain unaware of the black cowboy’s storied, and fundamentally patriotic, past. “When I moved to the East Coast, I was amazed that people had never heard of or didn’t know there were black cowboys,” photographer Ron Tarver said in an interview with The Duncan Banner. “It was a story I wanted to tell for a long time.”
so most of the blacks went west?? there were almost no blacks in the southeast?

Lol these were ex Black confederate soldiers... 25% is a stretch your link didn't provide any Scientific data on how he reach that number.. I watch the Lone Ranger I had no clue he was based off of a Spanish person that was more American culture that he was portraying then Spanish lol

The lack of Westerns is not due to "Blazing Saddles". Science fiction films have supplanted Westerns in recent years. Same stories, plots - different environment.

AVATAR, among other things, is simply "Dances with Wolves" redone against whatever backdrop Cameron could steal from Dune.

Dune and Avatar are nothing alike.

:auiqs.jpg:

Offworlder (Atreides/Sully) arrives on planet as part of an imperialist takeover (Padishah Empire- Lansraad - Guild - CHOAM/RDA) and saves the indigenous tribes (Fremen/N'avi), who have control over a rare element (Melange/Unobtainium) available nowhere else in the universe (Arrakis/Pandora), from said imperialists by virtue of special advantage (Bene Gesserit training - spice intake/Eywa) and drives them away.

Essentially a 7th grade rewrite of Dune.

but you kind of stumbled into a point. We stopped making lots of westerns... right after Blazing Saddles. Because if you made a classic western with the white hats/black hats, it would be laughed off the screen.

Blazing Saddles - 1974 --- Rooster Cogburn - 1975, The Outlaw Josey Wales - 1976, The Shootist - 1976, The Missouri Breaks - 1976, Goin' South - 1978, The Long Riders - 1980, Tom Horn - 1980, Windwalker - 1981, The Grey Fox - 1982, Pale Rider - 1985 ...

Not a complete list and not inclusive of a number of Western genre miniseries produced for television.

Offworlder (Atreides/Sully) arrives on planet as part of an imperialist takeover (Padishah Empire- Lansraad - Guild - CHOAM/RDA) and saves the indigenous tribes (Fremen/N'avi), who have control over a rare element (Melange/Unobtainium) available nowhere else in the universe (Arrakis/Pandora), from said imperialists by virtue of special advantage (Bene Gesserit training - spice intake/Eywa) and drives them away.

So your argument is that both have a McGufffin? Nearly every movie as a McGuffin.

Lol these were ex Black confederate soldiers... 25% is a stretch your link didn't provide any Scientific data on how he reach that number.. I watch the Lone Ranger I had no clue he was based off of a Spanish person that was more American culture that he was portraying then Spanish lol

Well, you do have no clue, I'll give you that.

Well, you do have no clue, I'll give you that.
Obviously neither does the links you provided lol

Blazing Saddles - 1974 --- Rooster Cogburn - 1975, The Outlaw Josey Wales - 1976, The Shootist - 1976, The Missouri Breaks - 1976, Goin' South - 1978, The Long Riders - 1980, Tom Horn - 1980, Windwalker - 1981, The Grey Fox - 1982, Pale Rider - 1985 ...

Not a complete list and not inclusive of a number of Western genre miniseries produced for television.

None of those were classic westerns... They were kind of "Gritty realistic"

Let's take Josey Wales.. Here you have a movie where the Army is considered the bad guys, killing POW's after they surrender. You have a near rape of a Native American woman, you have a speech by Wales about how the Native Americans were slaughtered so they have a common enemy in the white man. This is something you'd NEVER have seen in a John Wayne 1950's western where the good guys wore the white hats and the bad guys wore the black hats.

Let's take Josey Wales.. Here you have a movie where the Army is considered the bad guys, killing POW's after they surrender. You have a near rape of a Native American woman, you have a speech by Wales about how the Native Americans were slaughtered so they have a common enemy in the white man. This is something you'd NEVER have seen in a John Wayne 1950's western where the good guys wore the white hats and the bad guys wore the black hats.
..in The War Wagon, John Wayne was allied and friendly with the NAs to the common enemy--evil whites..John Wayne's friend was an NA
...in Big Jake, John Wayne's friend is a NA

.....hold it--you are changing the goal posts---you said it destroyed the Western genre--you never said anything about being ''realistic''/etc

..in The War Wagon, John Wayne was allied and friendly with the NAs to the common enemy--evil whites..John Wayne's friend was an NA
...in Big Jake, John Wayne's friend is a NA
Don't bother. Joey knows what he knows, and is NEVER deterred by anything as trivial as FACTS!

Forum List

Back