Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!

Hey, it's 64 degrees here and looking at a high of 74 doday. I just went out to feed the birds and was shocked when I went out there. It's beautiful. Nice and crisp with no humidity. It feels like one of those cool drinks of spring water from back home.

What a drastic change. I dig it, for sure.

I'm home all day today, so I'm gonna go back out there and absorb it. Birds are all hanging out at the feeders now, too, so that's nice.

It's gonna be a glorious day. It feels like fall.

Praise the Lord!

We are back to normal! FINALLY!!!

Good sleeping weather!

A wicked rain and thunder storm came thru last night....but it was hot as heck when I awoke this morning, as the saying goes, you could cut the humidity with a knife.... this was almost a week of running the air conditioning and not being able to keep the windows opened...which I hate! (That's one of the things I simply love about Maine, is being able to keep the windows open, for most of the day, every day, of summer)

We had three major rain storms come thru during the day today and after each one, it still was hot, humid, and sticky, until the last one came thru...which was like a Florida rain, the kind of rain that has rain drops the size of Alaska, and if driving on I95, or I75 or the Florida turnpike, you would have to pull over, because you may as well not have wind shield wipers at all....YOU SEE NOTHING!!!

Never seen anything like it up here in Maine, until today!!!

But GOD BLESS THAT Storm because it brought a cold front!!!

It is presently 63 degrees, (all windows are opened. the AC is turned off)

And going down to 52 tonight, only 43% humidity,

And the high tomorrow is 78 degrees!

God Blessed Maine summers! :D

Or you could turn down the thermostat.

:D

Praise the Lord!

Good sleeping weather!

A wicked rain and thunder storm came thru last night....but it was hot as heck when I awoke this morning, as the saying goes, you could cut the humidity with a knife.... this was almost a week of running the air conditioning and not being able to keep the windows opened...which I hate! (That's one of the things I simply love about Maine, is being able to keep the windows open, for most of the day, every day, of summer)

We had three major rain storms come thru during the day today and after each one, it still was hot, humid, and sticky, until the last one came thru...which was like a Florida rain, the kind of rain that has rain drops the size of Alaska, and if driving on I95, or I75 or the Florida turnpike, you would have to pull over, because you may as well not have wind shield wipers at all....YOU SEE NOTHING!!!

I was thinking something else lol
But great you got wet.

We had a frog strangler in Charlotte this PM for 2 hours. I'll check the water gauge in the morning.
:rofl::rofl:
I have never heard that term, "A Frog Strangler"!!! Made me laugh!!!

I am presuming, the rain came down so hard even the Frogs were strangling??? But I am not certain???? What does the term mean???

I remember when I was about 4 years old dad/family was stationed in Louisiana and when we had a good hard rain storm and water was draining down the edge of the road, we, my sister and I, used to catch tadpoles in the water....

But a "frog strangler"? Must be some southern term that I am not familiar with...? Though I know most.....

Last edited:
We had a frog strangler in Charlotte this PM for 2 hours. I'll check the water gauge in the morning.
:rofl::rofl:
I have never heard that term, "A Frog Strangler"!!! Made me laugh!!!

I am presuming, the rain came down so hard even the Frogs were strangling??? But I am not certain???? What does the term mean???

I remember when I was about 4 years old dad was stationed in Louisiana and when we had a good hard rain storm and water was draining down the edge of the road, we, my sister and I, used to catch tadpoles in the water....

But a "frog strangler"? Must be some southern term that I am not familiar with...? Though I know most.....

That's exactly what it means. :)

Frog-strangler= the hardest rain.

40 degrees here this morning. Feels great for a change, and I hate the cold.
Saturday 8:00 AM
Sunny
sunny.png

°F | °C
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 62%
Wind: 9 mph

This was about an hour ago....when I woke up!

Praise the Lord!

Good sleeping weather!

IF you were fortunate enough to have central air..... which most of the homes up in northern New England, do not!

Even when we lived in Massachusetts, the home we bought did not have central air.... It is usually not needed....

But the 2nd year we lived there, a heat wave came thru that lasted two weeks... it was a living hell! The house had these contemporary windows that were long and skinny and opened out sideways with a crank like handle.. anyway, we could not get any window air conditioners.... We actually put a blow up mattress down in the finished basement, because it was just a tad cooler.... the whole event was simply a nightmare....

And I decided, come hell or high water, we were getting central air!!!

and I called Sears and a few other people to get estimates and Sears was the MOST expensive, but then some guy at another company that I called, (and felt sorry for me I suppose), gave me the number of his friend, who was a Plumber and put in Central Air conditioning units.... for HALF the price of what Sears was charging!!!

It was a fairly easy job in that home because we had natural gas/ FORCED HOT AIR as our heating method so all the duct work was already run through the house.

this home here in Maine, is Oil heat, FORCED HOT WATER....so pipes for hot water running thru the house and not ducts/vents, so adding Central Air, is cost prohibitive, for us....

Praise the Lord!

Good sleeping weather!

IF you were fortunate enough to have central air..... which most of the homes up in northern New England, do not!

Even when we lived in Massachusetts, the home we bought did not have central air.... It is usually not needed....

But the 2nd year we lived there, a heat wave came thru that lasted two weeks... it was a living hell! The house had these contemporary windows that were long and skinny and opened out sideways with a crank like handle.. anyway, we could not get any window air conditioners.... We actually put a blow up mattress down in the finished basement, because it was just a tad cooler.... the whole event was simply a nightmare....

And I decided, come hell or high water, we were getting central air!!!

and I called Sears and a few other people to get estimates and Sears was the MOST expensive, but then some guy at another company that I called, (and felt sorry for me I suppose), gave me the number of his friend, who was a Plumber and put in Central Air conditioning units.... for HALF the price of what Sears was charging!!!

It was a fairly easy job in that home because we had natural gas/ FORCED HOT AIR as our heating method so all the duct work was already run through the house.

this home here in Maine, is Oil heat, FORCED HOT WATER....so pipes for hot water running thru the house and not ducts/vents, so adding Central Air, is cost prohibitive, for us....

Wow, I grew up in Dallas Texas, and I have not considered that some homes do not have AC, so I appologize.

I have however learned a couple of tricks on how to cool a place with a fan.

You take a strong fan like this one Commercial Electric 42 in. Heavy Duty Belt Drive Drum Fan with Hanging Receivers-BF42BDCE - The Home Depot and you put it in the window of an upstairs room, or in the attic in front of an opening that can handle the air throughput, if you have such in your attic.

Have it blowing OUT of the window and have the downstairs windows open.

You should get a cooling breeze and the house stays cooler because you are putting all the hottest air out.

You could also put buckets of water in front of the downstairs windows and have a T-shirt hanging down into it. You can hang the T-Shirt off a coat hanger on the back of a chair etc. This seems to absorb much of the incoming heat into the water, but I am only guessing.

Strategically placed rotating fans inside help alot as well.

Growing up we had around a dozen fans of various types for when the AC went out, lol.

How is everyone else doing? Has a cooling down or cold front come thru for you yet?
For us, a bit east of you, it took a couple extra hours, but it was exactly like you said yesterday--each rain shower just made the humidity worse and it was still really muggy all evening. Sauna weather.

For us, a bit east of you, it took a couple extra hours, but it was exactly like you said yesterday--each rain shower just made the humidity worse and it was still really muggy all evening. Sauna weather.

Have you tried a spoonful of sugar?

Hey, it's 64 degrees here and looking at a high of 74 doday. I just went out to feed the birds and was shocked when I went out there. It's beautiful. Nice and crisp with no humidity. It feels like one of those cool drinks of spring water from back home.

What a drastic change. I dig it, for sure.

I'm home all day today, so I'm gonna go back out there and absorb it. Birds are all hanging out at the feeders now, too, so that's nice.

It's gonna be a glorious day. It feels like fall.
Please don't say the "f" word. After that comes winter.

40 degrees here this morning. Feels great for a change, and I hate the cold.
Saturday 8:00 AM
Sunny
sunny.png

°F | °C
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 62%
Wind: 9 mph

This was about an hour ago....when I woke up!

80 with 74% humidity here. :blowup:
In less than a year, I am going to be living in THAT kind of weather misery, and I am NOT in any way, looking forward to it!!!!
Maine will miss you!

Forum List

Back