Writing

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
The whole "They can't write their own name!" nonsense is largely bullshit, but I am regularly appalled at the quality of writing from most people. However, my ESL students are really starting to get the idea lately. This past week, I have been impressed at the progress that they have made.

Most writing today is done in quick texts with spell check and abbreviations

Even in business, PowerPoint is more widespread than lengthy reports

Geoff Dyer had always wanted to write a book about D. H. Lawrence. He wanted, in fact, to write his "Lawrence book." The problem was, he had no idea what his "Lawrence book" would be, though he was determined to write a "sober academic study." Luckily for the reader, he failed miserably. "Out of Sheer" Rage is a harrowing, comic, and grand act of literary deferral. At times a furious repudiation of the act of writing itself, this is not so much a book about Lawrence as a book about writing a book about Lawrence. As Lawrence wrote about his own study of Thomas Hardy, "It will be about anything but Thomas Hardy, I am afraid-queer stuff-but not bad."

Geoff Dyer had always wanted to write a book about D. H. Lawrence. He wanted, in fact, to write his "Lawrence book." The problem was, he had no idea what his "Lawrence book" would be, though he was determined to write a "sober academic study." Luckily for the reader, he failed miserably. "Out of Sheer" Rage is a harrowing, comic, and grand act of literary deferral. At times a furious repudiation of the act of writing itself, this is not so much a book about Lawrence as a book about writing a book about Lawrence. As Lawrence wrote about his own study of Thomas Hardy, "It will be about anything but Thomas Hardy, I am afraid-queer stuff-but not bad."
If ESL relates to "English as a Second Language" , how does your post relate to the OP's ?
I have no idea what prompted the OP in the first instance but I am guessing he is linking the weather, The Donald , or, something equally abstruse to a sudden skill improvement from his students.
Right Finger as usual is in his own Universe , so , all in all , this has the makings of a very odd thread.

....t I am guessing he is linking the weather, The Donald , or, something equally abstruse to a sudden skill improvement from his students.
???????????????? WTF?

The whole "They can't write their own name!" nonsense is largely bullshit, but I am regularly appalled at the quality of writing from most people. However, my ESL students are really starting to get the idea lately. This past week, I have been impressed at the progress that they have made.
Being "impressed" with public school students is like being impressed with a Taco Bell taco.

Which still leaves YOU disappointing everyone.
We are doing the right thing here in Florida and forcing the public schools to either produce of close down. DeSantis signed a voucher bill. Now parents have the choice to where to send the children and I suspect nobody except the dumbass Negros that don't want to learn will be going to public shools.

Forum List

Back