Would you hit it?

That's a SOCOM M1A. Pretty much the same thing as the M-14. Which is pretty much the same thing as an M-1 Garand, except it's in 7.72X51 (308) instead of 30-06. The M1A is also a little shorter than the Garand, and it takes a 20-round box magazine instead of the Garand's 8-round en block clip.

Then there's the 30 caliber M1 carbine. The M1A, Garand, and M1 carbine all have the same rotating-bolt design, so they all look similar.

Nope. It's an M-14. He replaced the top cover on it and put some doo dads etc, but you can see the select fire lever at the rear of the receiver and the barrel is still full length.

Ok, I see that now. Full-auto version of the M1A, right? Not sure if I'd want to shoulder a full-auto 7.62X51, but we did have the 30-06 Browning Automatic Rifle back in WW2. Those things had to kick like a mule.

The M1A is the civilian version of the M-14. ALL M-14's are select fire. Firing them on full auto is a bit like riding a crazy woman, the BAR though is a very mild recoil. It's almost double the weight of the M-14 so that helps mitigate recoil immensely.

It's silliness to fire m14 full auto
, however, the action is nice and tight and it is very accurate.

Why Ruger Mini-14 no so accurate?

Crappy barrels. They are cheap and cheap is never good.

$700 + is not cheap.
I'm willing to spend double for M1A or M14, if I'm in the market.

Y no M1As available?

I've shot my brother's Garand a few times. The rear sight is just like that. But the M-1 is a bolt action and that one is not. Not a Garand but still a nice looking weapon.

That's a SOCOM M1A. Pretty much the same thing as the M-14. Which is pretty much the same thing as an M-1 Garand, except it's in 7.72X51 (308) instead of 30-06. The M1A is also a little shorter than the Garand, and it takes a 20-round box magazine instead of the Garand's 8-round en block clip.

Then there's the 30 caliber M1 carbine. The M1A, Garand, and M1 carbine all have the same rotating-bolt design, so they all look similar.

Nope. It's an M-14. He replaced the top cover on it and put some doo dads etc, but you can see the select fire lever at the rear of the receiver and the barrel is still full length.

Ok, I see that now. Full-auto version of the M1A, right? Not sure if I'd want to shoulder a full-auto 7.62X51, but we did have the 30-06 Browning Automatic Rifle back in WW2. Those things had to kick like a mule.

The M1A is the civilian version of the M-14. ALL M-14's are select fire. Firing them on full auto is a bit like riding a crazy woman, the BAR though is a very mild recoil. It's almost double the weight of the M-14 so that helps mitigate recoil immensely.

True. Thinking about the BAR's weight, I guess it wouldn't be all that much recoil. There's a VFW hall two towns over that has an authentic WW2 era BAR, along with a Thompson, and several Enfields and Springfields in a display case. Of course, the BAR and Thompson has had the barrels welded shut.

Coolest thing I saw was at another VFW hall near here. It was a WW2 Japanese Type 92 heavy machine gun sitting in a cubby hole in the corner. The thing would have taken three Japanese soldiers to carry it, no idea how it got to the states. There seems to be a lot of surplus equipment in this state. Every city park has a vintage piece of artillery or a tank.

That being said, the OP is a "mehh, don't care about that freak". Better to hijack my own post and discuss something more interesting. :biggrin:

The Army had an arrangement going all the way back to The Great War for VFW Halls and American Legion Posts to get war souvenirs. Some of them are quite cool. Salina Kansas has a Sherman on display IIRC. Back in Pennsylvania there was a VFW hall that had a German PAK-40 Anti Tank Cannon on display. They sold it for 40 or 50 thousand a few years back.

I've shot my brother's Garand a few times. The rear sight is just like that. But the M-1 is a bolt action and that one is not. Not a Garand but still a nice looking weapon.

I found a Korean-rework M1 Garand at a pawn shop in Texas, back around 2002. They had just put it out and evidently had it priced too low. Got it for $285, out the door.

I really wanted a Ruger Mini-14 at the time and found a gun shop that would trade me a ranch model with a scope, even. That was a bad trade. The damned thing would do 4" groups at 100 yards. What I came to find out was that the Mini-14 has a problem with barrel whip. It seems to get worse after they heat up. They look pretty cool but something in an AR platform has way more accuracy.

Crappy barrels. They are cheap and cheap is never good.

$700 + is not cheap.
I'm willing to spend double for M1A or M14, if I'm in the market.

Y no M1As available?

The barrels they put on them are cheap. I was accurizing one for a friend a few years back so during the research I found out that the Mini-14 barrels are 25 bucks. A bare minimum AR-15 barrel is 125. That's why the Mini's suck at accuracy.

True. Thinking about the BAR's weight, I guess it wouldn't be all that much recoil. There's a VFW hall two towns over that has an authentic WW2 era BAR, along with a Thompson, and several Enfields and Springfields in a display case. Of course, the BAR and Thompson has had the barrels welded shut.

Coolest thing I saw was at another VFW hall near here. It was a WW2 Japanese Type 92 heavy machine gun sitting in a cubby hole in the corner. The thing would have taken three Japanese soldiers to carry it, no idea how it got to the states. There seems to be a lot of surplus equipment in this state. Every city park has a vintage piece of artillery or a tank.

That being said, the OP is a "mehh, don't care about that freak". Better to hijack my own post and discuss something more interesting. :biggrin:

The Army had an arrangement going all the way back to The Great War for VFW Halls and American Legion Posts to get war souvenirs. Some of them are quite cool. Salina Kansas has a Sherman on display IIRC. Back in Pennsylvania there was a VFW hall that had a German PAK-40 Anti Tank Cannon on display. They sold it for 40 or 50 thousand a few years back.

Sadly those days are over. One of the reasons we go to war is to kick someone's ass and take away their stuff. Tons of stuff came back during previous wars, I still find a lot of it at garage sales. Currently sitting in my gun safe are five Japanese Arisaksas, three British Lee-Enfields, and several Mausers of different types. All in original condition. Some with import stamps, some are vet bringbacks.

But you can't even bring back a a spent brass case any more. :crybaby:

Forum List

Back