Would we, if we could, have nuked Germany in WWII

Never

We looked at the Japs as savages, We still identified with Germany

• Banned
Yes, I can see the racial part, RW, but if the Germans were closing in on the A Bomb or if their resistance was interfering with our time table in the Pacific, I think we would have nuked them.

I've often wondered about this. At first, I thought that, no, dropping it on Japan was a bit racist (at least) and they wouldn't have done it to a European population. But, after reflecting about Dresden and other examples, I believe if they'd had it in, say, July 1944, especially if they were sure Hitler was there, they'd have done it to Berlin.
On the other hand, I think, if that had been the situation, the allies would have tried to contact the Wehrmacht High Command and told them what would happen if they did not surrender. Our perception of the Japanese was that they would never, ever surrender, whereas I'm sure we knew that, Hitler suddenly disappearing, the Germans would have accepted.

I think there would have been more resistance to nuking Germany than Japan.

But we were heading that direction- the United States resisted the bombing of city centers for long after the British were doing so, but eventually participated- I have no doubt that Churchill would have approved in an instant.

Never

We looked at the Japs as savages, We still identified with Germany
Does this mean we might nuke Africa someday?
The question could be phrased a bit differently so as to allow real agreement, and imagining what could possibly happen there to create a sufficient scenario is difficult. If, for example, terrorists were themselves holding a nuke in Africa with intent to deliver it to Europe or something, a 'small' 'device' might be employed where they wouldn't do it in England.

Last edited:
I've often wondered about this. At first, I thought that, no, dropping it on Japan was a bit racist (at least) and they wouldn't have done it to a European population. But, after reflecting about Dresden and other examples, I believe if they'd had it in, say, July 1944, especially if they were sure Hitler was there, they'd have done it to Berlin.
On the other hand, I think, if that had been the situation, the allies would have tried to contact the Wehrmacht High Command and told them what would happen if they did not surrender. Our perception of the Japanese was that they would never, ever surrender, whereas I'm sure we knew that, Hitler suddenly disappearing, the Germans would have accepted.
Well the U.S. knew Japan was trying to surrender and it didn't stop them, so I'm not sure that's a convincing argument. My gut says they wouldn't have nuked Germany, but I can't come up with a logical basis for that feeling.

Well the U.S. knew Japan was trying to surrender and it didn't stop them, so I'm not sure that's a convincing argument. My gut says they wouldn't have nuked Germany, but I can't come up with a logical basis for that feeling.
Nope, 'Japan' was not trying to surrender, and you know it.

There was factionalism between and with civilians and military personnel on whether to surrender or not. After the second bomb, the military staged a coup, went after, and failed to retrieve the Emperor's recording of surrender.

You need to be factual, Kevin; your comment above is not factual, and that is unlike you.

i think other reasons we would not have bombed germany is because it is so close to our allies....japan was not as close

but if we felt hitler was close to finishing the bomb, then yes, i believe we would have

We dropped the bombs in Japan to end the war. I would hope that if it had been the Atlantic theater that looked like it was going to go on for several months and cost lives of U.S. soldiers that we would've dropped the bomb there to end the war as well. If somehow we had gotten nukes in '42, if I'd been around then I would have demanded we end the war by using them on Germany and Japan until they surrendered.

FDR would have nuked Germany without a doubt. It would have saved all those lives lost on D-Day.

The bombing of Dresden is all you need to know to discern that. FDR had no inhibitions about bombing Aryans back to the Stone Age.

A story could be written about the US having the bomb in early '4' and dropping it on Moscow. Japan and Germany would surely have surrendered at that example, and the obvious future enemy would have been 'neutralized'. America would have been standing astride the world it the biggest army, the biggest air force, the biggest navy and the 'baddest' weapon.

A story could be written about the US having the bomb in early '4' and dropping it on Moscow. Japan and Germany would surely have surrendered at that example, and the obvious future enemy would have been 'neutralized'. America would have been standing astride the world it the biggest army, the biggest air force, the biggest navy and the 'baddest' weapon.
If we nuked Moscow, Germany and Japan would have divided the East between themselves. Think.

If we nuked Moscow, Germany and Japan would have divided the East between themselves. Think.
They would, knowing they were next if they didn't surrender? No one and nothing could have resisted the US after late '45, not even if the Russians were around.

Link?

They would, knowing they were next if they didn't surrender? No one and nothing could have resisted the US after late '45, not even if the Russians were around.
Nonsense. One, you are guilty of present-ism, where hindsight is supposedly 20 20, which in your case proves false. Two, we could not have taken the USSR on and done anything more than defend the coast and most of France and some of western Germany. Three, you have no idea at all about the deployment of troops, logistics, armaments, and nuclear deployment, do you?

Forum List

Back