Would someone explain why paying $15 to 1.9 million kids living at home..

I'm stilling waiting for raising the minimum wage supporters to ANSWER my QUESTION!

Is it better to put 1 million people out of work to raise the minimum pay for what would be less then 2 million people all living at home with their parents???

First of all, have any of the previous increases in minimum wage resulted in drastic increases in unemployment?

Second of all, where the employee lives is completely irrelevant to the wages paid. Otherwise we'll create a sliding scale for wages and factor in how much you pay in rent. If you have lower rent you get paid less.

I'm stilling waiting for raising the minimum wage supporters to ANSWER my QUESTION!

Is it better to put 1 million people out of work to raise the minimum pay for what would be less then 2 million people all living at home with their parents???

First of all, have any of the previous increases in minimum wage resulted in drastic increases in unemployment?

Second of all, where the employee lives is completely irrelevant to the wages paid. Otherwise we'll create a sliding scale for wages and factor in how much you pay in rent. If you have lower rent you get paid less.

IMHO increases in the minimum wage has been small enough to not cause drastic increases in unemployment. Part of this maybe due to the increase being made when unemployment is low. The last time it was raised most of the grocery stores and burger places in my area already paid higher than the minimum to most anyone who worked for more than three months. So the market was already functioning at or above the new minimum wage. Increasing the minimum wage was a way for lawmakers to feel good about themselves without passing anything of substance.

If there is more than a token increase in minimum wage there will be negative effects to our economy such as an increase in unemployment and an increase in failure of already struggling businesses. If this were not true, the minimum wage could be increased to fifty dollars per hour and we all could live in an economic utopia.

IMHO increases in the minimum wage has been small enough to not cause drastic increases in unemployment. Part of this maybe due to the increase being made when unemployment is low. The last time it was raised most of the grocery stores and burger places in my area already paid higher than the minimum to most anyone who worked for more than three months. So the market was already functioning at or above the new minimum wage. Increasing the minimum wage was a way for lawmakers to feel good about themselves without passing anything of substance.

If there is more than a token increase in minimum wage there will be negative effects to our economy such as an increase in unemployment and an increase in failure of already struggling businesses. If this were not true, the minimum wage could be increased to fifty dollars per hour and we all could live in an economic utopia.

So you think that with the 3.8 million making minimum or less of which HALF are under 24, it is worth then the risk that raising to $15 will not cause McDonalds,et.al. to
simply put more automation in and let 1 million under 24 go? To do what? Collect unemployment then? Is that a solution?

You've asked a provocative question.

It would be much easier to answer if we knew for certain everyone presently earning minimum wage enjoyed categorically similar status, i.e., living at home with financially secure parents. But that is not the situation. In fact, many minimum wage earners do not inhabit the category you refer to but are adults who are struggling to survive having been pushed out of jobs that once paid them a living wage.

Does it seem reasonable to you to ignore those who are struggling to survive on minimum wage just because of the percentage of more fortunate live-at-home juniors among them?

Last edited:
it is necessary if it destroys probably 1 million of these kids under 24 jobs?

In 2011, 73.9 million American workers age 16 and over were paid at hourly rates, representing 59.1 percent of all wage and salary workers.
Among those paid by the hour, 1.7 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
About 2.2 million had wages below the minimum.
Together, these 3.8 million workers with wages at or below the Federal minimum made up 5.2 percent of all hourly-paid workers.
Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011

View attachment 28636

Of the above chart from the US Census Bureau,
of the 3.8 million nearly 2 million are under 24 years old.
How many of those 24 year olds probably still live at home or have a 2nd job?

Where has the ability of the common person to understand simple economics?

Destroying 1 million jobs to raise the minimum wage for over 60% of the people that have little or no living expenses, i.e. live at home, get their meals, shelter provided by their parents!

I had kids and a mortgage at 24, like others in the US.

It would be much easier to answer if we knew for certain everyone presently earning minimum wage enjoyed categorically similar status, i.e., living at home with financially secure parents. But that is not the situation. In fact, many minimum wage earners do not inhabit the category you refer to but are adults who are struggling to survive having been pushed out of jobs that once paid them a living wage.

Does it seem reasonable to you to ignore those who are struggling to survive on minimum wage just because of the percentage of more fortunate live-at-home juniors among them?

Some people just hate people that work.

How about Republicans agree to support any increase in minimum wage the Democrat party wants provided Democrats agree to pay zero unemployment bennies to anyone who gets laid off because of said increase?

YOU didn't READ my original post did you??

In 2011 1.7 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 2.2 million had wages below the minimum.

Together, these 3.8 million workers with wages at or below the Federal minimum made up 5.2 percent of all hourly-paid workers.

$MinWageAge.gif

of the 3.8 million, nearly 2 million are under 24 years old.

Now of those over 24 with families .. less then 1.8 million ..
They qualify for almost $26,000 a year in FREE benefits..

So again... please explain WHY ALL of us must PAY MORE for people who probably live at home, and if they are over 24..
probably can take advantage of these FREE SERVICES:

People in poverty in the USA get:

a) Free Cell phone (my cell phone I PAY is about $100/month)
if the poor person receives just one of the below FREE entitlements:
* Food stamps * Medicaid * Section 8 * Supplemental Security Income * National School Lunch Program

b) 40 million Americans on food stamps get $200/month in free food.

it cost $75.7 billion in 2011 compared to $35 billion in 2008; and enrollment has hit an all-time high of 46.7 million recipients. Meanwhile, the number of children receiving free school lunches has inflated from 18 to 21 million — an unprecedented jump —
about 2.1 million households (6 million) use Section 8 the Housing Choice Voucher program, pays a large

c) portion of the rents and utilities of or the Housing Choice Voucher Program up to $1,000 /month in FREE housing...

So these people get
=== $ 5,666 in EIC cash,
=== $12,000 free housing ,
=== $ 2,400 free food,
=== $ 1,200 in free cell phone plus
=== $ 5,000 a year in free health care from Medicaid.
So this is about $26,000 a year in FREE MONEY, free goods and free services...

So again.. why are we raising the minimum wage for the less then 2 million when they get the above for FREE???

Last edited:

In 2011 1.7 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 2.2 million had wages below the minimum.

View attachment 28767

So again... please explain WHY ALL of us must PAY MORE for people who probably live at home, and if they are over 24..

* Food stamps * Medicaid * Section 8 * Supplemental Security Income * National School Lunch Program

it cost $75.7 billion in 2011 compared to $35 billion in 2008; and enrollment has hit an all-time high of 46.7 million recipients. Meanwhile, the number of children receiving free school lunches has inflated from 18 to 21 million — an unprecedented jump —
about 2.1 million households (6 million) use Section 8 the Housing Choice Voucher program, pays a large

c) portion of the rents and utilities of or the Housing Choice Voucher Program up to $1,000 /month in FREE housing...

So these people get
=== $ 5,666 in EIC cash,
=== $ 2,400 free food,

So again.. why are we raising the minimum wage for the less then 2 million when they get the above for FREE???

Folks, it's an interesting topic and I'm sure a good discussion could be had on it; but with this OP this is not going to happen. HM is a poster child for rambling incoherence and seems to have no grasp of either logic or facts, continuing to attempt to bash everyone over the head with the same irrelevant factoid. So I vote to put a fork in it and let this string die. If anyone wants to start another in a similar vein, it might have a chance.

View attachment 28767

So these people get
=== $ 5,666 in EIC cash,
=== $ 2,400 free food,

With republicans, never a complaint about corporations, the very wealthy, or organized religion getting tax breaks and subsidies. Always worried about some poor person getting a break and their favorite word over and over again - FREE FREE FREE

Last edited:

Forum List

Back