.....Would pardons be warranted?....

Chillicothe

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2021
"Trump suggests that if he is reelected, he will pardon Jan. 6 Capitol rioters"

CONROE, Texas — Former president Donald Trump suggested Saturday night he will pardon the rioters charged in connection with the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol if he is elected president in 2024.

Trump, who has teased but not confirmed another run for president, has repeatedly criticized the prosecution of individuals who violently stormed the Capitol to protest the certification of Joe Biden’s election as president. But his comments at a Texas rally on Saturday marked the first time he dangled pardons, an escalation of his broader effort to downplay the deadly events of Jan. 6.

Some of those involved in the riot held out hope for a Trump pardon before he left office 14 days later, but none were granted.

“If I run and I win, we will treat those people from January 6 fairly,” he said near the end of a lengthy campaign rally in Conroe, a city about 40 miles north of Houston. “We will treat them fairly, and if it requires pardons, we will give them pardons because they are being treated so unfairly.”
-------------------------------------------------------------
The above was from this morning's Washington Post.

With so many already pleading guilty and now with some really serious scheibe coming down (11 charged with 'seditious conspiracy')...what's the thinking about pardons?
Is it a reality?
Is it just meat-to-the-base talk? A campaign dance-step?
Do any deserve pardons?

Even if trump is elected in 2024, there will be very few Jan 6th Rioters left in jail. Like 5 out of the 750 who were tried.

Why didn't trump pay for Ashli Babbit's funeral?

Why didn't trump pay for the legal fees of the Jan 6th Rioters?

CONROE, Texas — Former president Donald Trump suggested Saturday night he will pardon the rioters charged in connection with the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol if he is elected president in 2024.

Trump, who has teased but not confirmed another run for president, has repeatedly criticized the prosecution of individuals who violently stormed the Capitol to protest the certification of Joe Biden’s election as president. But his comments at a Texas rally on Saturday marked the first time he dangled pardons, an escalation of his broader effort to downplay the deadly events of Jan. 6.

Some of those involved in the riot held out hope for a Trump pardon before he left office 14 days later, but none were granted.

“If I run and I win, we will treat those people from January 6 fairly,” he said near the end of a lengthy campaign rally in Conroe, a city about 40 miles north of Houston. “We will treat them fairly, and if it requires pardons, we will give them pardons because they are being treated so unfairly.”

With so many already pleading guilty and now with some really serious scheibe coming down (11 charged with 'seditious conspiracy')...what's the thinking about pardons?
Is it a reality?
Do any deserve pardons?
Graham is not in favor. He condemned Trump for it.

Is it a reality?
Do any deserve pardons?
If Trump is even considering pardoning these morons once he becomes president he should be trotted out and hung by piano wire.

Is it a reality?
Do any deserve pardons?
guess it depends…case by case bases and who applies

Is it a reality?
Do any deserve pardons?
It would be just like him to pardon. One traitor pardoning the other traitors.

Why didn't trump pay for Ashli Babbit's funeral?

Why didn't trump pay for the legal fees of the Jan 6th Rioters?
Probably because it would give more ammo to people like YOU to make new accusations about him. As for pardons, IIRC those remove ALL RECORDS of a conviction. Cleans the slate, like it never happened. Which is exactly what a substantial number of them deserve. Sure, if they did material damage, assaulted cops, and the like, no pardon. But MOST of those 700+ were guilty of TRESPASSING. If it were my choice, they'd be pardoned and the Feds would be writing them a VERY GENEROUS CHECK for every day they stayed in a cell.

I dunno much about this stuff....but that's never stopped me before.

So, I would speculate that Don Trump's very public comment puts a little more ooomph into the Select Committee's resolve. Both their personal resolve for their reputations, and their professional resolve to make sure the whole story of January 6th.....pre-, during, and post- gets a full airing.
IF....he is in a postion to pardon, and does it....well, the Committee will want as complete a historical record as possible. Their complete efforts for posterity.

So, while the MAGAHats at the rally liked it, it may have just ratcheted up the will of the Committee. Not that there wasn't enough already.

If Trump is even considering pardoning these morons once he becomes president he should be trotted out and hung by piano wire.
Hitler liked that form of execution. Several of the plotters in the failed bombing were killed that way. That's some good company you keep...NAZI...

Do you HONESTLY consider the 600+ citizens whose only crime that day was to enter the building as part of a protest, TRAITORS? REALLY? If you do, then I sincerely hope you get held to the same kind of rigid standard someday.

It was over 750

And most just got a fine, community service and parole.

One $500 fine was to offset the $1.5 million dollars damage done to the Capitol.

So, while the MAGAHats at the rally liked it, it may have just ratcheted up the will of the Committee. Not that there wasn't enough already.
I wonder if you'll have the same regard for posterity next January when the House continues or reopens those investigations and subpoenas come down for lots of those who need to answer questions about the lead-up to 1/6 but who the current committee failed to call? I'm thinking you'll have an excuse - provided by your media drones - as to why the Republicans are wrong for looking deeper but the Dems were righteous to do so. Ever hear the old saw about there always being TWO SIDES to every story/issue?

It was over 750

And most just got a fine, community service and parole.

One $500 fine was to offset the $1.5 million dollars damage done to the Capitol.
And what of those who've been kept in cells since January of February of 2021? I don't care if they walked away with no fine at all, he should still clear their name and record.

Do you HONESTLY consider the 600+ citizens whose only crime that day was to enter the building as part of a protest, TRAITORS? REALLY? If you do, then I sincerely hope you get held to the same kind of rigid standard someday.
Yep. I sure do. If I go against my country and try to overthrow an election, I am sure I would be. It won't happen though. I still support the oath I took as an officer, but not necessarily a gentleman.

Let's follow the Dem's lead, we can arrest and jail thousands of Dems when they occupy. For example here are activists occupying Pelosi's office. Now we can arrest and jail all Dems doing this, everywhere!

Dr5IYYAXgAIzkRs

Ever hear the old saw about there always being TWO SIDES to every story/issue?
'Two Sides"?

Oh, sure.
I most surely want to hear, and truly welcome, 'both sides'.
And.....that is why I am sorely disappointed on all of the claims to "plead the 5th" by the Trump enablers.

America will profit if a more fulsome account of those folks can be entered into the record.

Regardless.........the cake bakes.

Graham is not in favor. He condemned Trump for it.
Graham's remarks mean nothing. There is no rhyme or reason as far as which side of any issue he might agree, and he is subject to reverse his remarks at any time.

Forum List

Back