Would free college tuition pay for itself?

Free college for US Citizens.

• Yes, Government should have a say on ciriculumms,

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, there should be no discouraging deterrents to robbing the US.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
College has to stop being the high school replacement. If someone's first year is going to be spent in remedial classes they shouldn't be there.

Courses that result in a hard science, engineering, medical or other like professional degrees should be discounted. The courses that are nonsense, that require no more than lecture attendance should be charged a premium. Students should be made to know that the degree in pre Colombian pottery is a vanity degree. It has no future. The students enrolled in vanity courses should also be required to take a trade. If a student really wants a degree in lesbian history they will graduate with a degree as a journeyman plumber.

College has to stop being the high school replacement. If someone's first year is going to be spent in remedial classes they shouldn't be there.

Courses that result in a hard science, engineering, medical or other like professional degrees should be discounted. The courses that are nonsense, that require no more than lecture attendance should be charged a premium. Students should be made to know that the degree in pre Colombian pottery is a vanity degree. It has no future. The students enrolled in vanity courses should also be required to take a trade. If a student really wants a degree in lesbian history they will graduate with a degree as a journeyman plumber.

I believe a student that screws up in high school should be able to catch up. Through allowing themselves a chance to go after those degrees. What we should do is make the two very different things, exactly that. College subjects = college subjects and high school = high school.

You sound like a communist who just wants workers with disregard to the arts and culture.

A gimp, a racist, a communist and an idiot. You are anti-American.

Oh, not a gimp...I should have known you weren't gimp boy by your spelling and grammar. But racist, communist and anti-American stands.

I believe a student that screws up in high school should be able to catch up. Through allowing themselves a chance to go after those degrees. What we should do is make the two very different things, exactly that. College subjects = college subjects and high school = high school.
Translation...Matthew had to take no credit remedial classes at his community college. He probably gets his education for free because he is a gimp.

Nothing is free, you can thank the feds for the rapidly rising cost of college in the first place, now you want to get them more involved. Are you insane?

^this bone head thinks education prices are rising because of the Government..............

Those sneaky government hooligans;

When ever the government starts subsidizing anything the cost go up, colleges know the government will loan the money no matter what so there is no incentive to hold prices down. You don't believe me, go back and check college inflation before and after the government started guaranteeing student loans.

Nothing is free, you can thank the feds for the rapidly rising cost of college in the first place, now you want to get them more involved. Are you insane?

^this bone head thinks education prices are rising because of the Government..............

When ever the government starts subsidizing anything the cost go up, colleges know the government will loan the money no matter what so there is no incentive to hold prices down. You don't believe me, go back and check college inflation before and after the government started guaranteeing student loans.

And this is why the government needs to place an agreement on the colleges that if they raise their prices because of these loans = no more loans. Time to nip it in the ass.

And this is why the government needs to place an agreement on the colleges that if they raise their prices because of these loans = no more loans. Time to nip it in the ass.

The commiecrats will never agree to that, too many of them find their way into the college systems, they won't bite the hands that will pay them six figure salaries for one class a week.

For all of the talk about Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Insurance, Big Government, Big Unions, there is also Big Education. Big Education has its fat cats, too. I think taxpayer funded college education could work but it would need market forces to help it. There would need to be an overhaul of programs and curriculums focused solely on skills sets and knowledge transfer aligned with the goal of meeting job requirements (e.g. IT, medical technician, engineer, even trades like plumbing and electrician). How necessary then is it for these students to be engaged in many of the Liberal Arts classes? Without liberal arts mandated classes in curriculums, a lot of Women's Studies and Sociology professors could lose their jobs. Is Big Education ready for such a transformation?

With the unemployment/underemployment rate for recent college grads at near 50% it would seem "college" is a poor investment. Yes, some majors actually provide value, like engineering and science. But for the most part it results in less employable people.

cuny at one time was free to all NYC high school grads

DISTINGUISHED CUNY ALUMNI CITY LIFE

Then the government got involved.
Yes!
My mother is a 1950 graduate of CUNY. It was known as the "poor man's Harvard" because of the high level of intellectual achievement and low cost. But it was very hard to get in, with a battery of tests for admission.
Then the city in the 1970s decided on "open enrollemnt." Any schmuck with a high school diploma or equivalent could attend. And the school went to shit.

I think we need to place a cap on college tuition and maybe reward aid for degrees that are worth while for society.
If we didn't have to spend so much money on AA and special accomodations for gimps at our schools, we could probably lower the tuition rate significantly.

Smaller class rooms is key in education. But it takes more people being educated to get those smaller class rooms. American Education 101.

Smart Students with a good foundation might be a start.

I would suggest US look at universities look out side america and look at the education systems which succeed. I don't know a good one which has been monetarized like the US.

I think the big difference is US looks at Education (especially at third level) as a business, other first world look as them as an incubator to drive business in the future. High level jobs (which pay most tax) need high level education, these job usually feed the service industry underneath. These type of jobs (in manufacturing & R&D) have a huge competition to lure.
If any one has actually seen the criteria for how Multinational companies place these companies, they would see things like access to educated workforce, security, security of power, clean water, stable goverment, transport....
Access to educated workforce is the top of the list for the knowledge worker sector, ie the good secure jobs.

Forum List

Back