Womens' Tennis $$$

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

Is this bizarre or what?

Naomi is an excellent tennis player, and can be very entertaining to watch, but isn't it perverse how the money is raked in (assuming Forbes is correct)? In her case, I just don't get it. Is she advertising cosmetics in Japan or something?

This reminds me - although it is much different - when the likes of Anna Kournikova and Gabriella Sabatini made disproportionate amounts, likely because they were quite photogenic.

Is there any similar male phenomenon? MJ made mountains of money from Nike, but it wasn't because he was handsome...same for Tiger. What is it about Naomi that brings in these revenues?

Yes, it must be her appeal in Asian markets although not to be political but the Japanese public isn't overly
fond of blacks, and she is half black (Haitian father).

She just left Addidas for Nike so who knows how much they threw at her.

Yes, Nike throws around a lot of money, but why would HER endorsement generate so much in revenue? There are at least four other top-level female tennis players who are as good and at least as aesthetically pleasing.

As as for the Japanese thing, I understand she has dual citizenship, but (1) she doesn't even speak Japanese, and (b) Japanese have historically been very antagonistic to half-breeds.

Yes, Nike throws around a lot of money, but why would HER endorsement generate so much in revenue? There are at least four other top-level female tennis players who are as good and at least as aesthetically pleasing.
Why do multi national corporations ride some horses and ignore others?
I disagree with your assessment but at any rate Nike is pouring money on Osaka and much of it may just be
her contract with Adidas made her available for being snatched up. It could be that simple.

They see Osaka as being a contender for the big prizes for years to come and she may not be personally riveting but she is a pleasant person and her bi-racial background makes her especially appealing to the younger sportswear buying demographic that only know three things: diversity, diversity and diversity.

As as for the Japanese thing, I understand she has dual citizenship, but (1) she doesn't even speak Japanese, and (b) Japanese have historically been very antagonistic to half-breeds.
That is all true but Nike must be wagering her black side will be more or less ignored in Japan
if her success grows large enough and the younger generation is manipulated.

Forum List

Back