Women=Do you own a gun, and know how to use it?

random3434

Reaction score
Do you carry it with you for 'protection' or have it stashed somewhere safe in your house.

Who taught you to use firearms safely? Did you take a class or did someone you know teach you?

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I've always had guns in the house, as a girl, and until recently. Yes I know how to use them. Right now I don't have one.

I don't carry because I'm a really bad shot with hand guns, I almost blew off my own foot (a couple of times!) with a 45 and have NEVER hit a targe with one. Which frustrates me and makes me mad, because I'm a deadeye with rifles.

KissMy

Free Breast Exam
Reaction score
My wife never owned one until we met. She took to it like a fish to water. The last 2 years she has killed triple the varmints that I have.

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Reaction score
everyone needs a varmint gun.....i use hollow points just in case its a two legged varmint

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Reaction score
nc is a conceal carry state but i prefer a 22 rifle.....

if i am threatened i will go to a shotgun the recoil may be a bitch but i know i am gonna hit whatever is in front of me....and with a pump...well its just a no brainer now isnt it?

i dont carry a pistol....just seems like a lot of trouble is started carrying a pistol and to be honest.....i dont care for the conversation with the police....'excuse me but i have a pistol' always gets them on edge....and i dont go a lot of places where i need one.. and from my damned experience.....everyone other person has one...and they are itching to use it...

when i carried a pistol....it was just a lot of trouble...

Ernie S.

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I've always had guns in the house, as a girl, and until recently. Yes I know how to use them. Right now I don't have one.

I don't carry because I'm a really bad shot with hand guns, I almost blew off my own foot (a couple of times!) with a 45 and have NEVER hit a targe with one. Which frustrates me and makes me mad, because I'm a deadeye with rifles.
If you're good with a rifle, the only reason you're not with a handgun is fear.
I had the same thing with my .44 magnum. It kicks like a mule and I usually hit a few inches high because I flinched as I squeezed the trigger. A friend cured me of that.
The model 690 is a revolver and Joe took out a box of .44 mags and a box of .44 specials (a very mild round, compared to the magnums)
Where I couldn't see him, he loaded the gun with one or more magnums, one or more specials and 2 or 3 empty cylinders.
It took an hour and 50 or 60 rounds, but eventually the flinch was gone and at 25 feet, I could put 5 of 6 magnums through the same hole.
I can't shoot the damned thing anymore since I broke my right arm and had a 10" plate and 10 screws installed. 10 rounds and my arm is useless for a week.

MeBelle

MeBelle 4 Prez 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Mama, I do own several.

Do you carry it with you for 'protection' or have it stashed somewhere safe in your house.

Both.

Who taught you to use firearms safely? Did you take a class or did someone you know teach you?
My Daddy. He also taught me how to fish.

Last edited:

peach174

Gold Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I do. I have several. Rifles and hand guns.
I keep my 38 special with me at all times.
I like the 38 because I am a small woman,with small hands and I can control it better than a larger pistol. Like Ernie's 44 mag. I can shoot it just fine, but I have better control with the 38. I hit the target exactly where I aim with the 38. With the 44 I'm off by a hair or so.
And my Daddy taught me when I was a young teen around 13 or so.

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Reaction score
What does owning a gun do for you? Does it make you feel safer, more powerful?

CoolBreeze

Momma if you could see me
Reaction score

Perhaps you need a smaller caliber. Try a 9mm, .38 or a .32 caliber.

peach174

Gold Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with power.
It is about being able to protect yourself from lawbreakers.

CoolBreeze

Momma if you could see me
Reaction score
I have several pistols and long guns. My primary conceal carry weapon is an XDM 3.8 in
.40 smith/

MeBelle

MeBelle 4 Prez 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
In my case it also has to do with subsistence and taking care of oneself and family by keeping food in the freezer.
I have never needed to use a gun, or a fishing pole, to protect self from lawbreakers.
Just yelling at law breakers works for me :)

Last edited:

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Reaction score
In my case it also has to do with subsistence and taking care of oneself and family by keeping food in the freezer.
I have never needed to use a gun, or a fishing pole, to protect self from lawbreakers.
Just yelling at law breakers works for me :)
Thanks for your answer. I never grew up with guns, I don't own one, and I don't know any friends who do.

Gun ownership is common where I live, however.

It's a culture I'm very unfamiliar with.

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List