Within black families, hard truths told to sons amid Ferguson unrest

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
(CNN) -- From parent to son, uncle to nephew, grandparent to grandson, there's a raw, private conversation being re-energized in America in the wake of violence in Ferguson, Missouri.

As challenging as parenting is, black families in particular are assuming more burdens: At kitchen tables and in living rooms, they hold honest talks with their boys about how life can be different for them and what they ought -- and ought not -- to do in public, especially near police.

Think twice about wearing a hoodie. Pull up your pants. Shut your mouth around police. Swallow your pride. Don't drive with more than three friends. And keep your hands where they can be seen.

"I've had this conversation with my son since middle school on how to behave," said Knox, 46, of Inglewood, California. "When the police come, this is what you do. This is how you speak to them. Do not get into a power struggle. Listen to them. If they are trying to give you a ticket, get the ticket. Because it's not worth it. It's just not worth it."

Ferguson unrest: What black families tell sons - CNN.com

We can say we don't allow racial profiling but its a fact of life for some. Blacks and Hispanics get stopped much more often than whites. They have no way of knowing what kind of cop is topping them and they don't dare give the cops any excuse.

In my younger dayz cops would always cuff me, even if I was just being pulled over for a speeding ticket..I was usually twice as big as the cop..

(CNN) -- From parent to son, uncle to nephew, grandparent to grandson, there's a raw, private conversation being re-energized in America in the wake of violence in Ferguson, Missouri.

As challenging as parenting is, black families in particular are assuming more burdens: At kitchen tables and in living rooms, they hold honest talks with their boys about how life can be different for them and what they ought -- and ought not -- to do in public, especially near police.

Think twice about wearing a hoodie. Pull up your pants. Shut your mouth around police. Swallow your pride. Don't drive with more than three friends. And keep your hands where they can be seen.

"I've had this conversation with my son since middle school on how to behave," said Knox, 46, of Inglewood, California. "When the police come, this is what you do. This is how you speak to them. Do not get into a power struggle. Listen to them. If they are trying to give you a ticket, get the ticket. Because it's not worth it. It's just not worth it."

I've told me kids some of the same things with a twist. I said always respect police officers who are in uniform (unless they are telling you to do something that will hurt yourself or others). Dress appropriately. Etc.

Good. So black families are attempting to do the right thing instead of instigating problems. My middle class, white dad taught me all that back in the early 60s. Obey the law; be honest; don't steal; don't do drugs; don't drink and drive. Just basic common sense.

We can say we don't allow racial profiling but its a fact of life for some. Blacks and Hispanics get stopped much more often than whites. They have no way of knowing what kind of cop is topping them and they don't dare give the cops any excuse.
Basically because blacks and hispanics statistically commit far more crimes than other races.

So of course they generate more attention from the police. ... :cool:

They way you racists and bigots talk, you try to take a minority of a minority and make it seem like they are all the same..Most illogical and untrue.

I would advise any person to be very nice and polite to ANYONE who is known to be armed unless you're prepared to shoot it out with them.

Mainly because there's a culture within Black and Hispanic communities whereby gang culture is emulated by young men and, to a lesser extent, women. Common sense 101: if you want to dress and act like a felon, don't complain when you're treated like one. Furthermore, in the case of young Hispanic males who are recent arrivals from Central America, law enforcement has to take into account the fact that life is a lot cheaper in these people's native countries, so they have to be prepared to confront extreme casual violence at the drop of a hat. That kind of behaviour is not accepted of overlooked in Anglo-Saxon culture (which is undeniably the United States' prevailing culture), so ghetto Mestizos need to take that into consideration before they leave their homes.

You, like many other of the hate the racist cop crowd, leave out a very important fact. More black kids get stopped because they tend to leave in high crime areas. Black youth that have the thug look get pulled over more, because black thugs STATISTICALLY commit more crimes. I guarantee if your white and you drive into a black neighborhood any cop that sees you will pull you over. Why? Racially profiling, a white person in that neighborhood is more than likely looking for drugs!

Shouldn't people of any color dress as they expect to be treated, pay attention to legitimate authority within its boundaries, and speak as well as act respectfully to everyone of any age or color (or whatever) until or unless given a legitimate reason not to? Shouldn't everyone be taught to put safety and common sense ahead of their own foolish pride? Shouldn't everyone know there are responsibilities as well as rights that come with being a member of society?

My middle class, white dad taught me all that back in the early 60s. Obey the law; be honest; don't steal; don't do drugs; don't drink and drive. Just basic common sense.

Yep my pops told me the same thing, but I don't think I did any of those (except I wasn't a theft).

Shouldn't people of any color dress as they expect to be treated, pay attention to legitimate authority within its boundaries, and speak as well as act respectfully to everyone of any age or color (or whatever) until or unless given a legitimate reason not to? Shouldn't everyone be taught to put safety and common sense ahead of their own foolish pride? Shouldn't everyone know there are responsibilities as well as rights that come with being a member of society?

How does one dress as they expect to be treated? As long as they are not at work or conducting business they can wear what they want to.

How does one dress as they expect to be treated? As long as they are not at work or conducting business they can wear what they want to.

I realize you lack the intelligence to make the association, but enjoy the vid anyway. He is consistently talented and funny.

And so....................relative to the topic being discussed..................no? Eh, futile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good. So black families are attempting to do the right thing instead of instigating problems.
"The right thing" to do is always going to be a subjective opinion on a matter, nothing more.

My middle class, white dad taught me all that back in the early 60s.
Did you honestly heed your "middle class white" father's advice?

Obey the law;
Only Mundanes submit to the law. When you choose to break it, do so masterfully and be mindful of the potential consequences.

be honest;
The masterful use of deceit may be necessary to achieve an end result.

don't steal;
One should not steal from friends, loved ones, and allies. Everyone else is fair game. Exploit the Mundanes masterfully.

don't do drugs;
Experiment with drugs if you so choose but become addicted to nothing. True hallucinogens should be masterfully exploited occasionally for spirit quests and spiritual experiences. Meth is off limits and those who have done it should be culled from the Earth.

don't drink and drive.
It is not encouraged to drive while intoxicated, but mastering the ability to control one's self while under the influence of something such as alcohol, Cannibis, or hallucinogens is a useful tactic and a formidable test of Willpower.

Just use basic common sense.
When you say "use basic common sense", are you encouraging other humans to choose how to behave based on the collective subjective opinions of indoctrinated Mundanes' regarding what is to be considered "correct" behavior?

Last edited:

I realize you lack the intelligence to make the association, but enjoy the vid anyway. He is consistently talented and funny.

And so....................relative to the topic being discussed..................no? Eh, futile.

You failed to make a point of any kind other than you are a idiot. Perhaps if you used your words you could explain how your perception dictates what I wear?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back