Wisconsin Residents Illegally Held Hostage In Their Homes By Native American Tribe

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
n a plot line that seems ripped right out of the hit Paramount series “Yellowstone,” some 65 Wisconsin families are currently being held hostage by the Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa. The tribe has erected illegal barricades on the only roads that lead to their homes, preventing residents from entering and leaving. The only way out of the reservation is over frozen lakes that are quickly melting with the coming spring.

The yellow barricades and chained-together concrete blocks were set up 31 days ago over a bitter land dispute among two non-tribal title companies, the town of Lac du Flambeau, and the tribe. Meanwhile, racial tensions are rising, and many fear violence in a standoff that’s also shining a long-needed spotlight on the dysfunctional arrangement between Indian tribes and the U.S. federal government.

To open the roads for only 15 years, Tribal President John Johnson is demanding $20 million. It’s an amount Republican Rep. Tom Tiffany describes as tantamount to “extortion.” Tiffany also says it’s unlawful since all four roads in question receive federal funding through the Tribal Transportation Program. According to Tiffany, the tribe has received a total of $218 million in federal funds since 2013.

“I’m paying taxes to be illegally blockaded on my private land,” said Marsha Panfil. Panfil and her partner Mike Hornbostel own and run Hornwinkels Bear Stube, a historic bar and restaurant in the area. The pair has been considering closing their doors ever since they were blockaded because the only way in and out of their home is by crossing a frozen lake.

“I have to rent another house now so that I can continue to run my business,” said Hornbostel. “Crossing a [frozen] lake with the hours that we keep just isn’t conducive to sanity,” added Panfil.

Many of the blockaded homes are over 20 miles from the nearest grocery store and their residents’ jobs. Denny Pearson, another blockaded resident, crosses Ross Allen Lake every day to get to work, but he won’t be able to for much longer. “When the ice goes out, there’ll be no way to get to and from work,” Pearson told The Federalist. According to Pearson, it will likely only be safe to cross the lake for another two weeks before the ice becomes too thin. That’s when locals fear tensions will reach a breaking point.

More....

Damn, what a mess. Some of this falls on the landowners and developers for not knowing their shit and having a right away that was leased. That is on them.

Obviously, the tribe is being completely unreasonable. The state/feds should put up toll rolls at the edge of whatever roads run in and out of the reservation asking $20 million to pass. Two can play at that game.

The people were stupid and the tribe is being vindictive. If most tribes weren't ran by and composed of racist jackasses they could make out pretty well just by charging some really high prices for things like these easements. Instead, they go full retard. Knowing the rampant liberalism taking over our country they will probably get the $20 million.

Or.....There is both historical and modern prescient on how to handle land disputes with natives.

Here's a recent example.

6af

hide.gif

Didn't the real estate company tell you that your home was built on disputed Native American land? No wonder you got it cheap.

Forum List

Back