wine recomendation

manu1959

Left Coast Isolationist
Oct 28, 2004
california
i have grown tired of clifornia and itlaian reds....decided to try some ozzy wines

Marquis Philips 2004 shiraz.....

big ass fruit bomb....drinkable now....open it.....decant it (pour it into a pitcher gently) let it sit an hour....$14

manu1959 said:
i have grown tired of clifornia and itlaian reds....decided to try some ozzy wines

big ass fruit bomb....drinkable now....open it.....decant it (pour it into a pitcher gently) let it sit an hour....$14

I've found that the best wines available fall between $8-$20. Almost every pricey bottle I've ever purchased has been a waste.

I would still stick with the Italians though!

For Father's Day, my SIL had a great wine, a blend of Shiraz, Merlot, and Cabernet. I wish I knew the name of it. :coffee3:

I may have to break down and call her.

manu1959 said:

I love the wines from Oz. There are also some really nice ones coming out of New Zealand now. Went to Legal Seafood one night and I had the Monkey Bay Cardonnay. Was pretty durn terrific for an inexpensive bottle.

It's easy to find a good bottle of wine for $200. The trick is findings the good ones on the cheap.

Kathianne said:
For Father's Day, my SIL had a great wine, a blend of Shiraz, Merlot, and Cabernet. I wish I knew the name of it. :coffee3:

I may have to break down and call her.

there is a good one of those from Oz called sally's paddock....very drinkable

You rang? :D

Go for our wines, but check them out first - different regions have their strengths and weaknesses (I know, I know, totally obvious) but for example if it says "Coonawarra" in South Australia and it's red it might not be as good as you might think as the name of the region has been, ahem, elasticised a bit. The real Coonawarra is a strip of terra rossa soil that is similar to the premier cru districts of Bordeaux but unfortunately there has been some reputation rustling in recent years and some other areas have tried to drag over the appelation.

Having said that - we - Australia - produce some wonderful wines and we are very proud of them and happy for everyone else to enjoy them....................just leave enough for us :teeth:

Kathianne said:
I'll look for that! I found what i think is what she had:

http://www.winecommune.com/stores/item.cfm/storeID/68/lotID/885101.html

That's from the Barossa Valley in South Australia Kathianne - Henschke is a very good family winery with seriously good wine If you see anything labelled "Hill of Grace" and it's priced at less than three figures then grab it, ten years ago it was affordable here but in the last few years it's rocketed up in price.

I like Rosemount, their Shiraz is pretty good, one I discovered after a wine tasting is a Chilean wine called Los Vascos, their Cabernet is really good.

A new one that I tasted recently is a cheapish Spanish wine called Bajoz: http://www.vinabajoz.com/uk/vinos/articulo.php?codigo=6276e64fab9ef13df07542859a68c2e7

I like any Shiraz from Australia...e.g. Yellow Tail

Merlots from Argentina...I was there recently and didn't realize what fantastic wines they produce there and dirt cheap...I'm talking $3 / 750m.s. Liquor store here doesn't carry any from Argentina but if you can find anything from there, check it out...Santa Julia

Hey manu,

I know you said you have grown tired of California wines but.....

Have you ever visited the V.Sattui winery in St. Helena? It is on the east side of the main road going into St.Helena from Napa. Great place. I love the Madeira, great to sip by the fireplace with some dark chocalate and a great cigar.

drunk-ozzy.jpg

Forum List

Back