Marines on the Grill

pegwinn

Top of the Food Chain
Apr 17, 2004
Texas
I wish I'd known they were doing this. Everyone knows I love the grill, the smoke, the beer, the grill, the food, the beer, people, the beer. I notice the competition was held after I retired. Pretty cheesy if you ask me, waiting for the TOP dawg to go before goin hard at it.

I am going to buy a copy because the subject is tasty and I cannot say enough about the cause. And I am gonna ask em to remember me for the next edition......

U.S. Marines meet grill challenge for wide benefit
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Tasty confirmation: Yes, the many skills of U.S. Marines, renowned for prowess in fields of battle, do include grilling at a Corps-worthy level of excellence.

Plenty of proof comes in the recipes and photos packaged in a cookbook, "Command of the Grill: A Salute to Steak" (Weber, $10 paperback), that will benefit Marines wounded or killed in the line of duty and their families.

The cookbook is a collection of 41 grilled steak recipes from active, reserve and former U.S. Marines, including some famous names, along with plenty of personal stories and color photos.

Among contributing cooks: TV personality Ed McMahon and golfer Lee Trevino, former Marines.

All proceeds from the sale of cookbooks will go to four charities that directly benefit Marines: Wounded Warrior Project, Injured Marines Semper Fi Fund, Fisher House and Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation.

The 80-page cookbook is available through the Web site www.commandofthegrill.com.

The recipes include winners of what's described as last year's "serious tong-to-tong battle of the grill" - grilling competitions involving both active-duty and reserve Marines held at 10 Marine Corps Community Services installations.

The publisher, Weber-Stephens Products. Co., says the goal is to sell at least 100,000 cookbooks, raising $1 million for donations to the funds.

Here are three recipes to sample.

Rib-Eye Steaks With Mediterranean 'Marine-ade'

Marinade:

1/2 cup dry red wine

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon dried marjoram

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Steak:

4 rib-eye steaks, 10 to 12 ounces each and about 1 inch thick

1 teaspoon garlic salt

In a large plastic resealable bag set inside a large bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. Add the steaks to the bag. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag several times to distribute the marinade, place the bag back in the bowl, and marinate for 30 to 60 minutes.

Remove the steaks from the bag and let the excess liquid drip off. Discard the marinade. Let the steaks stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Just before grilling, season both sides of each steak with the garlic salt.

With the lid closed, grill the steaks over direct high heat (500 to 550 degrees) until cooked to desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare, turning once. (If flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over indirect high heat.) Remove from the grill and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings.

(Recipe from Lance Cpl. Jaynine Goodroe of Yuma, Ariz.)

Combat Steaks

For the rub:

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For the steak

4 bone-in rib steaks, about 10 inches each and 1 inch thick

3 large portobello mushrooms, about 4 ounces each or 1 pound button mushrooms

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup red wine

1/2 cup crumbled blue or feta cheese (optional)

In a small bowl mix the rub ingredients.

Massage the rub into both sides of each steak. Let the steaks stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Meanwhile, prepare the mushrooms.

Remove the mushroom stems and discard. Wipe the mushroom caps with a damp paper towel. With a teaspoon, scrape out the dark gills and discard. Cut each mushroom in half, and then cut each half crosswise into 1/2-inch slices.

In a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1/4 cup of the butter. Add the mushrooms and garlic, spreading the mushrooms in a single layer. Season with the salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are barely tender, 4 to 5 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times. Add the wine and cook until nearly all the wine has evaporated, about 3 minutes, stirring once. Set aside.

With the lid closed, grill the steaks over direct medium-high heat (450 to 500 degrees) until cooked to desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare, turning once. (If flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over indirect medium-high heat.) Remove from the grill and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, reheat the mushrooms over medium heat, adding in the remaining 1/4 cup of butter and heating until the butter has melted. Serve the steaks warm with the mushrooms and butter mixture spooned over the top. Add crumbled cheese.

Makes 4 servings.

(Recipe created by Col. Stewart Navarre)

Portobello Mushroom Steak

Marinade:

2 cups soybean-based barbecue sauce

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup roughly chopped yellow onion

1/2 cup roughly chopped green bell pepper

1/4 cup toasted sesame seed

Steak:

1 top sirloin steak, 11/2 to 2 pounds and about 11/4 inches thick

2 medium portobello mushrooms

1 medium green bell pepper, stemmed and seeded

1 small yellow onion

1/4 cup light olive oil

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

In a medium bowl mix the marinade ingredients, reserving 1 tablespoon of the marinade for the vegetable packet.

Place the steak in a 2-inch-deep rectangular dish and pour the marinade over the steak. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes, turning over the steak occasionally. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables.

Remove the mushrooms stems and discard. Wipe the mushroom caps with a damp paper towel. With a teaspoon, scrape out the dark gills and discard. Cut each mushroom in half, and then cut each half crosswise into 1/3-inch slices. Cut the bell pepper lengthwise into 1/3-inch strips. Cut the onion in half through the stem and root ends, then cut each half lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices. In a medium bowl mix the mushrooms with the bell peppers, onions, 2 tablespoons of the oil, 1 tablespoon of the marinade, 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper, and the salt. Mix gently. Place the mushroom mixture on a sheet of aluminum foil (about 18 inches by 18 inches). Pull up the corners of the foil and seal the packet tightly.

Remove the steak from the marinade, allowing the excess liquid to drip off and discard the marinade. Lightly coat the steak on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Season the steak evenly with the remaining pepper. With the lid closed, grill the steak over direct high heat (500 to 550 degrees) until cooked to desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare, turning once or twice. (If flare-ups occur, move the steak temporarily over indirect high heat.) At the same time, grill the packet of vegetables over direct high heat until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes, turning the packet once.

Remove the steak from grill and let rest for about 5 minutes. Carefully open the packet of vegetables (watch for steam). Cut the steak into thick slices and serve the steak with the vegetables spooned over the top.

Makes 4 servings.

(Recipe from Staff Sgt. Daniel G. Newcomb of Hawaii)

I was going to order for my one son and dad. Going to add my daughter and brother. Good recipes, good causes. I watched the video, least we can do.

Thanks for that link! :salute:

Pegwinn, I'm going to list the charities, as I think most of us want to do what we can for our service members. :salute: I'm going to save these for birthday presents or something.

I think Weber deserves a big hand here, :clap: 100% of the cost is going to these charities:

the charities

Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund
The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund provides financial assistance to injured Marines and other service members injured while assigned to Marine forces. The goal is to alleviate the financial burden placed on the family so that their focus can be on their loved one’s recovery. If the mother of a wounded Marine needs help with travel expenses to be with her son or daughter, the Semper Fi Fund is there. If the wife of an injured Marine falls behind on a mortgage payment because she left work to be with her husband at the hospital, the Semper Fi Fund is there. If a wounded Marine, whose sight was impaired from an RPG blast, needs a special magnifier, the Semper Fi Fund is there.

“Semper Fi” means “Always Faithful.” That is our pledge to the heroic Marines who have been injured while protecting our nation.

:: www.semperfifund.org ::

Wounded Warrior Project

The mission of the Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) is to raise public awareness and enlist the public's aid for the needs of severely injured service men and women, to help severely injured service members to aid and assist each other, and to provide unique, direct programs and services to meet their needs.

WWP accomplishes this mission by providing programs and services to severely injured active service members and their families during the critical time between their initial rehabilitation while on active duty and their eventual transition to civilian life. WWP employs staff with over 55 years of combined experience in providing direct services to active duty service members and disabled veterans, including benefits counseling, representation before the department of veterans affairs, bringing public attention to the needs of wounded service members, and advocating for regulatory and statutory changes beneficial to veterans and active duty service members.

:: www.woundedwarriorproject.org ::

Fisher House

A Fisher House™ is a “home away from home” for families of patients receiving medical care at major military and VA medical centers. As of this printing, there are 35 Fisher Houses located on 18 military installations and eight VA medical centers, with another three houses under construction. The program began in 1990 and has offered more than two million days of lodging to more than 75,000 families. Families of service men and women hospitalized due to their service in Iraq or Afghanistan do not pay to stay at a Fisher House, and the foundation helps cover the cost of alternative housing when the Fisher Houses are full.

:: www.fisherhouse.org ::

Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation
Mission: To encourage the spiritual, moral, intellectual and physical development of children through education.

This Foundation was formed in February 1995 by former Marines and law enforcement personnel who strongly believe that our nation’s most precious resource is its youth. This assistance has had a positive, life-changing effect on many, many children. We are thankful for the commitment and support of our many members and volunteers. Because of their dedication, no administrative costs of any type are charged to our Foundation. One hundred percent of the donations received is used to fund programs for the children we serve.

:: www.mclef.org ::

Kathianne said:
Pegwinn, I'm going to list the charities, as I think most of us want to do what we can for our service members. :salute: I'm going to save these for birthday presents or something.

Kathi, I should have listed them seperatly. As usual you got my back. Good to go, thanks.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kathianne again.

I went to Ace Hardware yesterday, that was close by. They had 1 left. i bought it. Brought it home to my dad, he went and picked up 5 more + the 3 more I wanted! It's not only a great recipe book, which like all Weber cook books it is, but also allows you to help the troops! :salute:

Forum List

Back