Wine and Diabetes

Rodimus

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2021
HLN says there is more sugar in one glass of wine than one glazed donut. I would stay away from wine if you have diabetes.

HLN says there is more sugar in one glass of wine than one glazed donut. I would stay away from wine if you have diabetes.
Some wines are very dry with very little sugar content

• Bone-Dry <1 sugar calories per glass
  • Dry 0-6 sugar calories per glass
  • Off-Dry 6–21 sugar calories per glass
  • Sweet 21–72 sugar calories per glass
  • Very Sweet 72–130 sugar calories per glass
Sugar has 16 calories per tsp

Last edited:
I think the health benefits outweigh the sugar content. I'm talking moderation here.

Fruit juices from which wine is made contain lots of sugar, usually.

Of course whether the glass of wine or the donut has more sugar depends on many factors such as how much wine and how much donut.

I don't believe that alcohol is bad for one. It's moderation. that counts. A little wine has many benefits. It used to be said that the French peoples' wine consumption was what prevented heart disease in their country. Of course no one mentioned the high numbers in accidents. LOL

Rod said:
Just recently, there was a study reported by HLN that no amount of alcohol is good for you.

So many in media frequent bars. LOL.. our so called political and entertainment elites don't do anything without alcohol in all forms. and here HLN, owned by CNN....the home of Don Le Mon et al push no alcohol for the rest of us. curious.

Last edited:
So many things have been said to be bad for you and then good for you and then bad for you and then good for you...... that it makes my head spin... and a spinning head is good for no one.

WTF is HLN?

In any event, sugar aside, I think I remember, from my early days of diabetes, learning from some source that alcohol itself is very bad for those of us with diabetes. Something about the body processing it as a carbohydrate, in some way that does similar harm to too much sugar.

Not a big deal for me, as I do not drink alcohol, never have, and almost certainly never will.

WTF is HLN?

In any event, sugar aside, I think I remember, from my early days of diabetes, learning from some source that alcohol itself is very bad for those of us with diabetes. Something about the body processing it as a carbohydrate, in some way that does similar harm to too much sugar.

Not a big deal for me, as I do not drink alcohol, never have, and almost certainly never will.
HLN is a national news network called HeadLine News. it's the sister network to CNN.

me too. i never drink alcohol either.

Those who worry about health and diet the most usually die younger than those that do not

Now diabetics and such conditions diet is everything

Forum List

Back